IGNORED

microRendu (Quest for the All-In-One Killer)

I can't see any thing wrong with this setup apart from JRMC on the PC, requiring it to be on all the time, albeit it's located away from the listening room.

As other have suggested I'd go for a NAS. Use the PC and JRMC to rip, tag etc the files, but host them on the NAS.

When it comes to playback, the Synology like most of them has DNLA capability. Use that or ROON or JRMC on a headless NUC or Pi, and an IOS app into the microRendu and on to the DAC.

I rarely use JRMC for playback, as I also have Sonos and their IOS app brings together my music , Spotify and Qubos, though Critically not my hi res stuff. For critical listening though, I use the Synology app directly into my DNLA receiver. I'm contemplating a MR to take the receiver out of the loop directly into my TEAC DAC.

Just can't work out whether the mR or the SonicOrbiter would be enough .

I would greatly appreciate it if you would clarify a few things for me as well as anyone who may stumble across this thread in the future who might be as confused as I, which may be my fault for not being clearer in my original post.

I can't see any thing wrong with this setup apart from JRMC on the PC, requiring it to be on all the time, albeit it's located away from the listening room.

To clarify, are you saying a) JRMC shouldn't be used at all, or b) should be install somewhere other than the HTPC? If the latter, where else would it be installed? I'm also a bit confused by "requiring it to be on all the time", but I'll leave that alone.

As other have suggested I'd go for a NAS. Use the PC and JRMC to rip, tag etc the files, but host them on the NAS.

To clarify, what benefits would I gain that would justify the expense of purchasing a NAS vs. an HTPC which a) I already own, b) already runs 24/7, c) already runs JRMC, and d) already contains my music library?

When it comes to playback, the Synology like most of them has DNLA capability. Use that or ROON or JRMC on a headless NUC or Pi, and an IOS app into the microRendu and on to the DAC.

Are you saying a) I should replace my HTPC with a NAS AND a NUC or Pi? or b) I should replace the HTPC AND microRendu with a NAS AND NUC or Pi? And why would it be superior to the HTPC + microRendu?

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I would greatly appreciate it if you would clarify a few things for me as well as anyone who may stumble across this thread in the future who might be as confused as I, which may be my fault for not being clearer in my original post.

1. To clarify, are you saying a) JRMC shouldn't be used at all, or b) should be install somewhere other than the HTPC? If the latter, where else would it be installed? I'm also a bit confused by "requiring it to be on all the time", but I'll leave that alone.

2. To clarify, what benefits would I gain that would justify the expense of purchasing a NAS vs. an HTPC which a) I already own, b) already runs 24/7, c) already runs JRMC, and d) already contains my music library?

3. Are you saying a) I should replace my HTPC with a NAS AND a NUC or Pi? or b) I should replace the HTPC AND microRendu with a NAS AND NUC or Pi? And why would it be superior to the HTPC + microRendu?

Gary,

In response to your questions, I'll give you my view:

(1) Your PC/JRMC + Microrendu is a good solution. Folks will give you lots of other ideas, but what you have is very good software (JRMC) and hardware (Microrendu). If you're happy, then there's no reason to do anything else.

(2) If you were do start over, a NAS would have been a good alternative to your HTPC. A NAS excels at file sharing, is low power, and is much cheaper to run 24/7 than your HTPC. Since you have the HTPC, you are correct that there's little reason to add a NAS to the mix.

(3) I don't think there's any reason to go to a NUC or a RPi -- they are redundant with what you have and would only have been considerations if you wanted to start over.

Now, what could you do to refine your set-up . . .

(A) Instead of using JRMC as a server on your HTPC, install Minimserver. Minimserver can replace JRMC (as a server, not a library manager) and is a much lighter application. You then can use the BubbleUPNP app to control the Microrendu and also get the ability to stream Tidal (something JRemote doesn't do). If you don't like the BubbleUPNP app, you can add BubbleUPNP Server to the HTPC and then use an app like Linn Kazoo. To be clear, you would still use JRMC for library management.

(B) Add Audiophile Optimizer and/or Fidelizer Pro to your HTPC. These applications optimize the use of computer resources and strip out unnecessary services. Many people find this improves sound quality by reducing noise generated by the unnecessary services.

© Add an Uptone Audio LPS-1 to the Microrendu. The ultra-cap LPS ensures clean power is going into the Microrendu. There are tons of testimonials as to the benefit of doing this.

(D) Optimize you network with better cabling. Replace your CAT5e cable with something better (CAT6/6A/7/8) or fiber optic. These solutions attempt to limit the ability of noise to be introduced into or transferred down your network.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
Gary,

(1) Your PC/JRMC + Microrendu is a good solution. Folks will give you lots of other ideas, but what you have is very good software (JRMC) and hardware (Microrendu). If you're happy, then there's no reason to do anything else.

(2) If you were do start over, a NAS would have been a good alternative to your HTPC. A NAS excels at file sharing, is low power, and is much cheaper to run 24/7 than your HTPC. Since you have the HTPC, you are correct that there's little reason to add a NAS to the mix.

(3) I don't think there's any reason to go to a NUC or a RPi -- they are redundant with what you have and would only have been considerations if you wanted to start over.

(A) Instead of using JRMC as a server on your HTPC, install Minimserver. Minimserver can replace JRMC (as a server, not a library manager) and is a much lighter application. You then can use the BubbleUPNP app to control the Microrendu and also get the ability to stream Tidal (something JRemote doesn't do). If you don't like the BubbleUPNP app, you can add BubbleUPNP Server to the HTPC and then use an app like Linn Kazoo. To be clear, you would still use JRMC for library management.

(B) Add Audiophile Optimizer and/or Fidelizer Pro to your HTPC. These applications optimize the use of computer resources and strip out unnecessary services. Many people find this improves sound quality by reducing noise generated by the unnecessary services.

© Add an Uptone Audio LPS-1 to the Microrendu. The ultra-cap LPS ensures clean power is going into the Microrendu. There are tons of testimonials as to the benefit of doing this.

(D) Optimize you network with better cabling. Replace your CAT5e cable with something better (CAT6/6A/7/8) or fiber optic. These solutions attempt to limit the ability of noise to be introduced into or transferred down your network.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful response. Yours may prove to be one of the most helpful posts I've read on this subject, and a long journey it has been. The suggestions under your "B" response will almost certainly be implemented after a little research.

One final question regarding your "A" response:

I hear you that there are other applications that may serve me better than using JRMC as an all-in-one solution. If I am to use these other applications in tandem with JRMC for file management only (which is the main reason I like it so much), would JRMC be installed on the PC, and would I be using JRemote on the iPad to control it, or a different app that somehow uses JRMC's file management?

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful response. Yours may prove to be one of the most helpful posts I've read on this subject, and a long journey it has been. The suggestions under your "B" response will almost certainly be implemented after a little research.

One final question regarding your "A" response:

I hear you that there are other applications that may serve me better than using JRMC as an all-in-one solution. If I am to use these other applications in tandem with JRMC for file management only (which is the main reason I like it so much), where would JRMC would be installed?

The easiest thing to do (basically do nothing) is to leave JRMC on the HTPC it's on now -- just don't run it unless you need it. You could also install JRMC on another PC and point it to the library on the HTPC.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

To clarify, are you saying a) JRMC shouldn't be used at all, or b) should be install somewhere other than the HTPC? If the latter, where else would it be installed? I'm also a bit confused by "requiring it to be on all the time", but I'll leave that alone.

To clarify, what benefits would I gain that would justify the expense of purchasing a NAS vs. an HTPC which a) I already own, b) already runs 24/7, c) already runs JRMC, and d) already contains my music library?

Are you saying a) I should replace my HTPC with a NAS AND a NUC or Pi? or b) I should replace the HTPC AND microRendu with a NAS AND NUC or Pi? And why would it be superior to the HTPC + microRendu?

I don't think there much wrong with you set up at all, but JRMC isn't the best of tools to combine local music and cloud services such at tidal , Spotify or Qubos. If all you want to do is play you local music, and you're happy with leaving the PC on, then fine.

The NAS is simply a file server, so generally is great for storage, backups, mirrored disks, always on etc. I've been a JRMC user since version 9, and I love it for ripping tagging, organising my music collection.

Yet it's limitations for cloud services, led me to using other tools to combine services. Thus when I use my sonos front end I can search my own collection , Spotify and Qubos at the same time. In fact if it wasn't for the hi res limitations of sonos, I wouldn't bother with the rest.

ROON running on my NAS straight into the mR would the perfect solution , but my NAS isn't powerful enough.

There's nothing redundant in your setup as long as you're happy running the PC all time. If you're not then most of the suggestion mentioned in this thread make sense.

Thanks everyone. I want to share what I believe is the winner for me. It may seem I'm over thinking this but I tend to keep things for 10+ years. I'm the antithesis of an upgraditis patient and a cheap bastard to boot. I need to get this right the first time.

Based on your invaluable input as well as other research, my upgrade path starting with current system is described below.

Current system: HTPC (server) > ethernet > router > ethernet > netBook (renderer) > AQ Forrest USB > Schiit Modi 2 (DAC) > AQ Forrest RCA > Luxman R-117 (preamp/poweramp) > speaker cable > B&W 685 S2

Upgrade path

1. Purchase Audiophile Optimizer for HTPC

2. Replace current renderer (netBook) with microRendu+stock psu (or SotM SMS-200)

3. Replace current DAC as well as preamp (Schiit Modi 2) with Emotiva DC-1 connected directly to Luxman's poweramp via "Main In"

4. If SotM SMS-200 was chosen, add Uptone Regen

5. Upgrade renderer's power supply to Uptone LPS-1 (applies to both mR and SMS-200)

6. Install EN-70HD Ethernet Optimizer before renderer

7. Replace poweramp, speakers, and speaker cable with balanced cable + JBL LSR305 or LSR308

8. Replace HTPC with NAS

Final: NAS > ethernet > router > ethernet > EN-70HD > ethernet > microRendu+LPS-1 (or SMS-200+LPS-1+Regen) > USB cable > DC-1 DAC > balanced cables > JBL LSR305/8 (iPad + software tbd)

Any confirmations, corrections, or redirections would be appreciated.

Thank you all!

Gary

Upgrade path

1. Purchase Audiophile Optimizer for HTPC

2. Replace current renderer (netBook) with microRendu+stock psu (or SotM SMS-200)

3. Replace current DAC as well as preamp (Schiit Modi 2) with Emotiva DC-1 connected directly to Luxman's poweramp via "Main In"

4. If SotM SMS-200 was chosen, add Uptone Regen

5. Upgrade renderer's power supply to Uptone LPS-1 (applies to both mR and SMS-200)

6. Install EN-70HD Ethernet Optimizer before renderer

7. Replace poweramp, speakers, and speaker cable with balanced cable + JBL LSR305 or LSR308

8. Replace HTPC with NAS

Final: NAS > ethernet > router > ethernet > EN-70HD > ethernet > microRendu+LPS-1 (or SMS-200+LPS-1+Regen) > USB cable > DC-1 DAC > balanced cables > JBL LSR305/8 (iPad + software tbd)

Any confirmations, corrections, or redirections would be appreciated.

Thank you all!

Gary

gary,

i think your plan will work nicely. one thing to note is that if you're going to get a nas, you really don't need your htpc. you can store your files on the nas and run minimserver on the nas, eliminating the need for the htpc. the only thing you would need a pc (it could be any pc) for is to run jrmc to manage your library. so don't think you need audiophile optimizer (as good of a product as it is).

jim

gary,

i think your plan will work nicely. one thing to note is that if you're going to get a nas, you really don't need your htpc. you can store your files on the nas and run minimserver on the nas, eliminating the need for the htpc. the only thing you would need a pc (it could be any pc) for is to run jrmc to manage your library. so don't think you need audiophile optimizer (as good of a product as it is).

jim

That makes perfect sense. I put that on the menu only because it may be a year or more before getting around to a NAS, but I'll deep six it. Thank you for taking the time.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 4:11 AM, jcn3 said:

Gary,

Absolutely brilliant post!

@Gary.D.Olson follow this advice.

If I may add - based on the advice above, use as simple as possible system and then if you would like to spend money - upgrade your dac.

Enjoy the journey.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:48 AM, plissken said:

The Mrendu is remote controlled directly. I would go with a NAS (I use Netgear) and either the Win10 / JRMC (Which is what I use) or the MicroRendu.

It depends... If you're looking to use Roon with DSP, you would need a server with enough processing power, and the microRendu as a renderer. In my opinion that is the best possible configuration.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics