IGNORED

My First Audio PC based on HDPlex 2nd Generation H5

4 minutes ago, Quadman said:

Excellent and good to know.  non 2s filters or 2s filters only? Have you gone into task manager and checked the per core usage while up sampling to DSD512?  Obviously you are doing so with no issues so i suspect no core is going over 70%.  In HQP do you enable dsp multicore? (used to be called pipeline SDM)?  I also wonder if you enabled hyper threading in Bios (and used DSP multicore in HQP) would the load be more even over all the cores usage and possibly drop from the 40's%.  I am getting excited now about the possibilities.

I only tried the 2s filters but I will look into the non 2s as well.

The cores usage right now is : 80%, 80%, 10%, 10%. Overall usage 43%.

I don't have dsp multicore enabled and I didn't enable hyper threading, as I sticked to what Audiophil suggested in his setup. 

Anyway, I'll tell you: upsampling to DSD512 is fantastic. Also, have a look at this post. This upgrade is one of the best upgrades I did for my system and at a fraction of the cost of other upgrades I did:

34 minutes ago, andru26 said:

I only tried the 2s filters but I will look into the non 2s as well.

The cores usage right now is : 80%, 80%, 10%, 10%. Overall usage 43%.

Based on this I would certainly try to enable multicore DSP in HQP and see if that evens things out, if not then go back into bios and enable hyper threading, that may even things out and not take a hit on SQ.  80% is right on the limit for HQP before stuttering starts, you probably cannot do the non-2s filters the way you run now, tho minRing Fir and closed form may work.  I run a 6700K and with cuda offload and multicore DSP and hyper threading I run in the 20's% for CPU with 2s and non 2s filters, except I cannot make the non-2s XTR's work, those are resource hogs.  I am really intrigued by this family of boards and the low TDP and fanless set up.  Excellent build by the way.

I have tried baltic birch plywood under my gear before and liked that, I'll have to give the bamboo a shot.

27 minutes ago, Quadman said:

Based on this I would certainly try to enable multicore DSP in HQP and see if that evens things out, if not then go back into bios and enable hyper threading, that may even things out and not take a hit on SQ.  80% is right on the limit for HQP before stuttering starts, you probably cannot do the non-2s filters the way you run now, tho minRing Fir and closed form may work.  I run a 6700K and with cuda offload and multicore DSP and hyper threading I run in the 20's% for CPU with 2s and non 2s filters, except I cannot make the non-2s XTR's work, those are resource hogs.  I am really intrigued by this family of boards and the low TDP and fanless set up.  Excellent build by the way.

I have tried baltic birch plywood under my gear before and liked that, I'll have to give the bamboo a shot.

Thanks and good luck with the bamboo, it did wonders for me.

Regarding the usage, I see 80% only for 2 of the cores, the other 2 run at 10%, so I guess there is room for more. Anyway, I'll just try.

By the way, what HQP configuration would you recommend to use with the non-2s filters?

41 minutes ago, andru26 said:

By the way, what HQP configuration would you recommend to use with the non-2s filters?

If any core gets over taxed then HQP stutters, so it would be better to get more even load over all the cores, 2 of yours are at the limit so hyper threading may help spread the load more evenly.

For non 2s the least Cpu intensive is closed form or miningFir try either of those and see what happens, for the modulators i have been sticking lately with DSD7 or DSD5V2, the adaptive ones (with an A) folks seems to see are a bit smoother, I don't have issues in brightness so I like the non-adaptive.  If those work I like the poly-sinc-shrt-mp filter so try that if the above 2 work.

3 minutes ago, Quadman said:

If any core gets over taxed then HQP stutters, so it would be better to get more even load over all the cores, 2 of yours are at the limit so hyper threading may help spread the load more evenly.

For non 2s the least Cpu intensive is closed form or miningFir try either of those and see what happens, for the modulators i have been sticking lately with DSD7 or DSD5V2, the adaptive ones (with an A) folks seems to see are a bit smoother, I don't have issues in brightness so I like the non-adaptive.  If those work I like the poly-sinc-shrt-mp filter so try that if the above 2 work.

Great info. Thanks for sharing.