33 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Thinking out loud here (and honestly a bit bored in a hotel room), but what about adding kemet aluminium cap to the USB path? It so darn simple to add and it is great for leakage and reduce impedance to a minimum. What could go wrong? ? I think I will squeeze this weird idea into my coming experimental pipe-line! ?

This sounds crazy ? but why not if easy to try. 

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Honestly, the difference I expect is not because I’ll remive a SMPS from the chain (and certainly not backwash noises), but due to the balanced & floating design of the AC>AC PSU and skipping the internal regulators of the Gophert.

All the other possible things are really already taken care off IMO.

Since HC-HPULNs in LPSUs my current setup is is really already a LPSU with a SMPS feeder supply. With that AC>AC PSU it will be a proper normal LPSU really. Balanced just like a Paul Hynes SR4! ?

Got you, it will be interesting to find out how it sounds. 

4 hours ago, Cornan said:

I have just been home to Sweden for a couple of hours. I could’nt let go of my thought to add a Kemet to the output of my LPS-1.2. Just had to do it quickly. So I did! ?

40649E29-6144-4DA8-8173-FA2D96795F8B.thumb.jpeg.98a83977e0cf90146a23c31c2b1078f0.jpegEC87776D-2A64-4AC9-8D29-B2BB444EAAE8.thumb.jpeg.6ff9a871cfe0b6164522386ffd12fd7a.jpeg

I have listen to Bahamas - Earthtones since I came home (MQA). The same album was played after the Kemet was introduced.

So, what is the results of the Swedish jury? 

The Kemet simply rocks the LPS-1.2!!!! ?

Sweeeeet and natural sound and deeeper low end is very obvious upgrades, but ut us like the whole frequency range is clear as spring water. Transparent like anything. 

The Kemet succeded in the spot where LT3045 did’nt. Ofcourse this raise the question what a LT3045 loaded with a Kemet could di at that spot? You’ve probably already guessed my next experiment! ? 

Keep in mind that caps take a few days to sound their best.

13 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I don´t actually know until I have tried. There are several advantages with the AC-AC PS as a feeder supply compared to the Gophert. Things like balanced transformers, EMI input filter, torodial transformer, bigger transformer, no pre-regulation (=possibly less noise) etc are things that I consider an advantage to the Gophert. Both are floating. Gophert have an advantage of optimal pre-regulation (= possibly less heat). Other have said (over and over again) that the SMPS design is Gophert´s culpit...but I do not agree that it is true in my perticular setup! ;) 

Anyway, the reason I bought the AC-AC PS is to find out if it could concur my Gophert? I really do think it could, but mainly due to the things I mensioned above and not due to the actual SMPS design. The balanced & floating design is the most important apect IMO.

As you said, will know for sure once you tried it.

36 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I just got a reply from Michael. Not the answer I was hoping for unfortunately so it looks like I’ll need to find a solution to either drop down 15VAC to 14VAC or find a pre-regulator that doesn’t need a 2v drop from AC to DC. Otherwise the series HC-HPULNs is out of the equation. A real challenge it seems! ?

Not a feel-good feeling at all right now to be honest! ?

Use following formula for calculating DC:

DC = AC x 1,414 - Diode Vf
15VAC x 1,414 - 0,4V = 20,81VDC

The LT's SOA is 20V, so you drive it with 0,81V above his good-feel-area.

A transformer with 14VAC would deliver the maximum voltage. 

Oops that’s a bummer, but you will find a solution!

I want to share my experience of adding the Kemet polymer caps that @Cornan recommended. I added one to the output of the LT3045 1A board that feeds my HDD. I was skeptical about these caps, but I was surprised and I found that the bass got deeper and the highs are more extended.

Question, how does the capacitance impact the sound? What if we use other premium caps like Mundorf? 

7 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Great to hear Moussa! :) Those Kemet’s improves just about anywhere I have tried them so far. Capacitance do impact the sound (usually bigger is better), but difficult to know how much until you’ve tried. I have’nt seen Mundorf aluminium polymer caps around...or do you mean other types of caps? 

I mean other types of caps e.g Electrolytic, or foil. I have a few caps in my boxes, that I want to try for fun. I wanted to know what

role do these caps play at the output of the LT3045. Do the provide more current reserves? Or it is something else?

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

The Kemet’s are carefully chosen by Michael as a great output cap of LT3045. If you want to try to fine-tune the sound you coukd definately try other types of caps like Mundorf at the input. 1000uF is for example a value recommended by @sandyk. He might know much more hiw they’ll affect the sound signature. I would’nt change to any other type of caps than tantalum or aluminium polymer at the output of the LT3045 though. I have tried Elna Silsmic II there and did’nt like them. I will soon try the Elna at the input with Kemet at the output.

I will see what I have and will try them. I will report if I find anything interesting

After a few days, I decided to remove the Kenet caps from the LT3045 boards feeding my HDD and Ethernet switch. I found that my system became too bright with a bit of a glassy effect. It was impressive at the first impression with more details, but I found that the sound lost its natural tonality. I think it is system dependent, so just wanted to share my experience.

2 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Why don’t you wait a few days at put them back again?

My Kemet and Electrolytic caps stays! ?

Will be testing them again after sometime, but I am positive that they don’t work in all systems. I see their value with tubes

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Fair enough, but if you already are locked your mind to that they won’t work in any system you have already limited yourself! ?

What I mean is that the contribution of these caps whether good or bad depends on the system. I always keep an open mind and that’s why I like to try things myself.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Cornan said:

ISO Regen which is powering the USB input of the BluWave USB to Spdif. The Gophert, LPS-1.2 plus 2x HPULNs and Kemet A750s is powering the BW Spdif output. ?

Are you putting the HPULNs before or after the LPS-1.2?

• 1 month later...