Would a IFI Micro iUSB 3.0 and a split USB Cable (such as the IFI Gemni) going into Brooklyn DAC achieve something similar in regards to an increase in Sound Quality? 

The IFI Micro iUSB requires 9V / 2A external power source, so unfortunately I don't think 1 LPS-1 would work to power it (although I think it's possible that it might be able to???)

1 hour ago, Middy said:

Not much to see but I believe it's sounding better replacing the caps with what I think are better quality. I have 1 more to fit coming Friday from Digi-Key US For the 5600uf cap.

If anything they are newer caps so that helps I believe and 75ns diodes in the rectifier bridge seems to help. EE guys probably would have a fit at me. 

Another lesson learned with lead free though. Flood the joint with silver lead solder first then remove with wick. Reducing the iron time as it melts faster than just lead free....

Also heat the board up with a hairdryer heat gun ...Less than 80oc ish. But heat up the solder wick as well and jump in fast. Liquid flux helps...

More tips than effects of sound but when the last cap comes and 2 days listening I can judge the final result.

20170621_204526.jpg

20170621_194141.jpg

20170621_194128.jpg

20170621_170032.jpg

What is this that I'm looking at (the pics), a DYI power supply? What is it powering? 

@mozes - First, how did you (do you) lift the ground on a USB Cable? (Stupid question I know, but I honestly don't know how to do this). 

Second, have you tried to power only the Brooklyn with the VR Mini and then use a different/ separate LPSU for the Nimitra Server? 

Having the Nimitra on the same Power Supply as the Brooklyn could be the source of the Ground Loop and / or Leakage. 

It's worth a try. 

I had a W4S RUR powered by the Same LPSU as the Brooklyn and when I put the W4S RUR on its own LPSU the SQ improved significantly!

48 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes, I proposed this:

• Nimitra (Nikola/JS-2) > IR (LPS-1) > tX (VR Mini) > Brooklyn (VR Mini)

for a good reason. The idea is to create a "zone of isolation" downstream of the IR. The IR is isolating ground, both on the USB ground, and the AC mains ground. The VR Mini's downstream preserve this isolation.

Question:

I have an IR and LPS-1 on order. 

I currently have:

Aurender N100 -> IFI Micro iUSB 3.0 (powered by its own HD-Plex 100) - > Split USB cable from Micro iUSB--> Brooklyn DAC (Powered by its own HD-Plex 200) 

Once I get the IR and LPS-1, I plan on using them first in the above chain out of the Aurender. 

If I did this : Aurender-> IR (LPS-1) -> Micro iUSB-> split USB cable (HD Plex) -> Brooklyn (HD Plex) , would I be preserving the AC and Ground Isolation of the IR and LPS-1 downstream also?? 

@Cornan I will get some pictures for you! 

Basically what I've done (for my IFI Micro iUSB 3.0, and very soon I will do the same for my on order LPS-1 and ISO Regen) is screw long Velcro strips (intended for use as cable ties) in the middle of the strip into the underneath of the shelf above in my rack (Salamander Designs rack, so I have wooden shelves) and just enclose the Velcro around the device. I've suspended it so that the Micro iUSB is hanging behind my DAC suspended at just the right height and distance (as opposed to making some sort of support for it beneath it out of lego's or wood block as others have done). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 0:22 PM, Cornan said:

After many different experiments with speaker support for my active speakers I have ended up with this solution sounding best on top of a cubborn!

IMG_6192.thumb.JPG.3be3bed4152688b47db2e9580126c343.JPGIMG_6193.thumb.JPG.aad5b82be1202dc445a8d2e704dbedef.JPGIMG_6194.thumb.JPG.7df54f9bb2b61aa2da26e3df6fcfaaac.JPGIMG_6196.thumb.JPG.58854a7d94411ce427ee402e89448917.JPG

The bags is filled with clear quartz sand! ? Increased focus & firmer bass respons!

Is the bag of sand jus adding weight to the ISO speaker stands, or are the speaker stands being supported by the bags of sand? 

Impossible to actually see from the photo - but this is my recent DIY "tweak" to my speakers (did the same for my subs too) - I placed my speakers on 5/8" wood (I may "upgrade these to 1.5" Maple cutting boards, wanted to just test theory with what I had on hand first) 

Speaker spikes going on top / into the wood planks. 

Then the wood planks are sitting on top of 2" diameter/ 1" high Sorbathane "feet". 

This has really cleaned up the low end in my system and tightened and focused the low end too! (Not bad for $20/ speaker for the Sorbathane feet (Amazon - isolateIT brand). 

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

5 minutes ago, mozes said:

Nice job!

@mozes Thanks! - I do think that if I take the next step and replace the 5/8" MDF with 1.5" Maple Cutting boards it will even increase SQ further, I just wanted to see if my theory worked to begin with! 

If I place my hand or foot on the Wood plank, I feel a lot of vibrations, but when I place my hand or foot on the floor beneath it - Nothing! 

The spikes coupled to the wood draw alkbthe vibrations out of the speaker cabinet into the wood and then the sorbathane feet decouple the wood plank from the floor / room and don't allow them to penetrate. 

38 minutes ago, mozes said:

Great thinking, scientific approach I like it.

I am currently looking at what is supposed to be a good affordable alternative to Stillpoints. The new Gaia stands from Isoaccoustics. http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/gaia-series/gaia-i/

A friend I trust in audio recommended these, If I get them I will share my observation

I looked at their website and I actually think the ISO Aluminum modular stands (for big tower speakers like mine) may even be a better alternative to the Gia feet? From what I've learned from my experiment, you need something for the vibrations to travel to before decoupling/ isolating the speakers from the floor (or stand)? 

Try my tweak first, $20 per speaker and can return to amazon if you don't like it:) 

2 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Here is the ATL Hi-Fi AC mains DC blocker trap filter that I use http://www.atlhifi.com/shop/fully-assembled-devices/dc-blocker-trap-filter-assembled-in-case/

Here is the Hosa GLT-255 XLR in-line DC blockers that I use for my active speakers XLR cables https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GLT255

You can find them at eBay as well.

Both can be used in amps ac main connections as XLR ICs.

Thanks! I'm going to give one of these a try! 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the Asus battery pack could power an IFI Micro iUSB 3.0?? I doubt it, it comes with a 9V 2A iPower stock. I'm currently powering it with an HDPlex 100 and have it set to 8V out (sounds better at 8V than 9V to me). I'm awaiting delivery of an ISO Regen and LPS-1, so I'm also really curious to see if the LPS-1 at 7V setting will have enough juice to power the IFI Micro iUSB 3.0, if it does I'll definitely buy a second LPS-1! (I suspect 7V maybe okay, but not sure if 1A limit in the LPS-1 will be enough power ? )

@Cornan thanks, this helps a little ! (It's actually kind of confusing and hard to tell from your pictures). 

What I was think about was this:

LPS-1 -> ISO REGEN -> USB -A (data side only) of a split USB Y cable -> USB B into Brooklyn DAC. 

And then:

Second LPS-1 -> (5V) -> Power only wire of Split USB y cable 

and actually removing the USB A connector on the power only side (wire) of split Y USB cable and installing a screw on 2.1mm plug (putting that plug into the LPS-1). 

I could just connect the 5V to + and the ground to negative. 

OR I could go one step further and connect the Ground wire to a 2.1 Female and then a 2.1 male (in the chain prior to the ground going to negative on the screw on 2.1 going into the LPS-1) , so that I could do as you are and disconnect the ground to the Brooklyn once the handshake was made (with the ISO-Regen I'm not sure if this extra ground disconnection is necessary??)

is this correct / would that work? 

Also, I assume since you're doing this, you believe it also increases sound quality? 

As of now, I have a split USB Y cable going from an IFI Micro iUSB (the USB A plugs are split and power only going into power only from the IFI Micro iUSB 3.0 and the data only side is going into data only side of the IFI Micro). 

I was planning on going LPS-1 -> ISO Regen - > Hard adapter-> IFI Micro iUSB -> split USB cable as above -> Brooklyn 

So perhaps the IFI Micro already splits the Data from power and provides cleans power to the Brooklyn, only that the IFI can't be powered by an LPS-1 because it most likely needs more power than LPS-1 can supply? 

I plan on doing an A / B - LPS-1 / ISO Regen vs the IFI Micro first, and another A/B with LPS-1 / ISO vs LPS-1 -> ISO -> IFI Micro -> DAC. 

I have been in touch with 2 people that have both units and both told me that the LPS-1 /ISO into the IFI Micro does better the LPS-1 / ISO by itself (they did say it's that last 5%_10% and that ISO / LPS 1 alone will achieve 90% of improvement, but since I already have the IFI Micro, I will see if it further improves - then I'll experiment with the split cable having power from an LPS-1 or battery afterwards :) 

i shoukd receive the ISO / LPS-1 on Wed or Thurs, so I'll keep you posted !