IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Hi,

Is it possible for someone to modify RBCD to add 8 bits, and implement the relevant bit manipulation to light the MQA blue LED, and then sell it at an MQA premium price ?

I cannot see how MQA could police it, unless they downloaded files from many of the sites to check ?

Also - could people actually hear the difference ?. Who can really hear the last 8bits from a 24bit file ?

Will peoples expectation bias mean the blue light convinces them of the difference ?

Regards,

Shadders.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:26 AM, mansr said:

A modified CD format with 24-bit samples could of course be created, but it would need new players. To fake the authentication, you need the secret signing key, and you'll have to pry that out of Bob's cold, dead hands.

Hi,

Is it possible to copy the MQA code from file to file ?

If the code takes at most 2 bits, looks like noise, but includes the authenticating codes, then a blatant copy will succeed ?

If MQA is adding high frequency from the 2bits, and no one can hear it, then why would anyone hear the difference between a correct MQA file and forged MQA file ?

As long as people see the blue light, they will be convinced it is MQA.

Regards,

Shadders.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered before, or whether it is a valid discussion in respect to MQA.

For my active speaker project, i had to calculate the delay required between the drivers to ensure time alignment of the signal. The times required between woofer, mid and tweeter were 120us and 54us.

Given that the majority of speakers do not implement any time alignment between drivers, then surely any gains from MQA re-aligning the digital filter delays (dispersion) are thoroughly f*cked up by the speakers which do not have time alignment ?

Is the time alignment error prevalent in so many speakers dominant in any timing issues of a recording ?

Regards,

Shadders.

On 1/30/2020 at 1:23 AM, FredericV said:

I don't believe MQA is fixing phase issues

Hi,

I thought the purpose of MQA was to correct the dispersion in the existing recordings. Dispersion is due to non linear filters (example) which do not have a constant group delay.

AES Paper : A Hierarchical Approach to Archiving and Distribution

So, in MQA claiming that they solve the timing issues, what they are neglecting to recognise is that the missing time alignment in the majority of speakers swamps any correction they claim by MQA in a recording.

As such, MQA claims to solve a problem that we can never benefit from from the majority of hifi setups.

Regards,

Shadders.