IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Indydan said:

Or maybe, he was pissed off to be on my chart! 

MQA "enthusiast"                        Reason for no longer posting on CA

Peter Veth                                                          BANNED

WitchDoctor                                                      BANNED

Lee Scoggins                            DISTRACTED by jumping between forums

Michael Lavorgna                    BANNED for telling someone to go fuck his mother

Time for another two columns - for "MQA Critics"

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

I don't think that's fair. MQA doesn't advertise directly in Stereophile (and even if they did, this line of criticism seems dubious). And with few exceptions (Mytek?) most manufacturers are lukewarm on MQA, if not outright hostile. My guess is that JA has outsized admiration for BS (pun intended) and MQA's claims appealed to him.

I suspect Stereophile (and Meridian) were viewing the development of MQA as a "paradigm shift" in how we listen to recorded music. JA's comments about " the birth of a new world" are particularly relevant.

My guess is they recalled the massive change and the enormous business opportunities that the development and release of Redbook CD brought to the industry and were hoping for a new wave of consumer spending. Everyone going out to buy an MQA DAC or an MQA CD player, with models being produced at all levels in the hifi chain, from budget to the ultra high end.

This would create plenty of new advertising for the magazines, a rise in sales as people bought copies for advice and licensing fees for MQA. To achieve this would mean there would need to be a gradual phasing out of Redbook, making MQA the de facto standard. They've done this before. Vinyl was effectively unavailable for decades to the average consumer.