IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Looking for a little help...thought I'd try out the bridging method between my Mac Mini and microRendu but can't seem to get it working or at least seen through Roon Core on the Mini. Basically my setup is Router>thunderbolt ethernet > Mac Mini > ethernet port> ethernet cable > EMO EN-70HD > .5m ethernet > microRendu.

What i've done so far besides the hard connections, is turning on internet sharing for the thunderbolt ethernet to ethernet port in the Mac's network settings. On the Mac i can access the web page for the microRendu however Roon is not seeing it, neither can i connect to the Rendu's page from my phone or iPad. Am i missing something? Thanks!

If you're seeing your mR when you open the sonicorbiter site on your browser, that's a good thing. Make sure Roon is selected and then reboot your mR and restart Roon and see if that does it.

Hi romaz,

Great to hear you were able to duplicate the SQ benefits gained from replacing an SSD with a hard drive. I am sure your SD card experiments will prove to be even better and I look forward to reading about your results.

The rest of your build looks great. I would just say that it may make sense to keep the pcie x4 slot open rather then use it for a network card. My experience here with the Adnaco fiberUSB solution powered by the LPS-1 has been very successful. With the Adnaco, if you store your music locally, the network is only used for control signals, and you achieve a first level of GI without the need for the NAA.

I am anxious to try a second level of GI and reclocking with the ISO REGEN.

Without the need for network drives, more windows processes can be turned off, and the SQ increases again. I'm running Windows 10 with 21 processes including Roon and HQplayer.

Having only run I7-6700ks here, I am not sure that the lower TDP CPUs will crank dsd512 in HQplayer. DSD512 is a big step up, so I'd try to ensure you can handle it in your new build. I think the 65 watt parts like the i7-7700 are your best bet with a turbo clock speed at 4.2 ghz.

Also populating the two closest ram slots to the CPU of the 4 DDR4 slots on my motherboard sounds better, even though it is said to break the dual channel capability.

Anyway my 2 cents FWIW,

Larry

Thanks, Larry. Very helpful and I appreciate the tip on the Adnaco USB unit. I am not familiar with this unit and I wonder how it might compare to the Acousense AFI USB modules from Germany which I haven't tried either. The Adnaco looks simpler and to be able to power it with an LPS-1 would make it a better choice probably. To be honest, I am skeptical that the optical isolation portion would benefit me since my DAC's USB input is already galvanically isolated but you never know what complete optical isolation might provide and it would appear the Adnaco would have 2 clocks that could be replaced for the better and this dual layer of reclocking could allow for a single box solution instead of server + NAA. It would help if you had experience with an mR or sMS-200 and could say that this Adnaco solution was better but as it stands, I am bowled over by my new sMS-200 Ultra. If I can secure a Adnaco unit to try, I will definitely do so.

Regarding the 6700K (or 7600K), I don't use HQP and have no interest in overclocking and so I am content to be able to use a low power CPU.

Thanks for sharing that you like how your DDR4 sounds. I have no experience with DDR4.

I prefer not to use network drives either as in my system, local playback for sure sounds a bit better although I maintain a NAS for comparison testing and for backup but I also stream from Tidal and so I can't shut down my network completely. As I plan to upgrade the "incoming" LAN port's clock on my new server and with a Paul Hynes SR7 powering my modem/router, I am hoping to bring Tidal streaming to nearly the same level of SQ as local playback. As it stands, network streaming doesn't sound horrible at all. If I am successful in elevating network playback close to the SQ level of my current local playback, it may encourage me to pursue building an audiophile class modem/router with better clocks and regulators and attempt to integrate larger capacity music storage into the router itself. I find the idea of an audiophile class modem/router/NAS that I can power with a single lead from my SR7 to be an attractive scenario just so I can provide a high quality stream to other areas of my home.

Anyway, interesting times ahead. Thanks again.

Roy

Exactly my experience. I reported the other night substituting a Mac Mini/MMK/JS-2 for a 2008 Mac Pro. Subsequent listening had me thinking this was among my most significant upgrades. That Mac Pro had been doing much harm - and holding everything else back.

I had thought I installed Sierra on my SD card, but this morning there was a notification that encouraged upgrading to Sierra. Turns out I inadvertently installed El Capitan. :-)

Apologize - are you kidding? It was an awesome post. Thanks so much for putting all that effort into it.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Thanks, Kenny. I take back my recent recommendation of installing a PCIE SSD drive on your Mac Mini so that you can try an optimized version of Windows. You would be better off trying Windows off of a Thunderbolt hard drive instead.

Hello Roy,

Having only understood half of your new impressive (scientifical) approach, the take home message for me is to install the OSX on a (PCIE ?) SD-card.

As I have decided to buy a Mac mini, I would like to know, where do you recommend to have the Roon core installed on? On SD-card as well?

Jorg- Michael

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Hello Jörg,

Yes, that is correct. OSX on an SD card has been the best sounding approach I have found so far with the Mac Mini. With the Mac Mini, the SD card reader is on the PCIE bus which is a nice bonus as this has a more direct connection (lower latency) to the CPU compared to SATA.

Roon core (and its database) can only be installed on the OS drive and so in this case, it will install on your SD card. Roon's database can take up quite a bit of space depending on how large your music collection is (about 2GB per 1000 albums is what Roon is quoting). A 32GB card could work but a 64GB SD card would provide you better future expansion.

Hi Roy,

Well I do have experience with both the predecessor to the SMS-200, the SMS-100 and the microRendu. I owned and used the SMS-100 for over a year, using it with minimserver and soxr upsampling.

Despite my initial resistance, about a year ago Eurodriver insisted that I learn about HQplayer upsampling and DSD512 DACs. Well a year later I am convinced that using HQplayer to upsample before the DAC is the only way to go. While this becomes apparent at DSD256, DSD512 takes things to another level, and well supported and inexpensive DACs are available that enable us to access this incredible level of SQ without spending 10s of thousands. I am grateful to Eurodriver for his support.

Key to this achievement is the use of so called "raw or native DSD" support on the playback chain. Unfortunately at the moment Linux has only nascent support for raw DSD and this results in frequent pop and ticks that makes Linux an unusable solution for day to day use.

Hoping this was fixed with the microRendu, I bought one to use as NAA. It was later returned after realizing that the problem persisted. Expectations are the SMS-200 will suffer the same problem as it appears to run a hacked version of the same Fedora based software. Led by Jesus R, many people are working to solve this problem, and it looks like progress is being made, so I am hopeful that Linux will be back in my system the near future.

In the meantime and FWIW, HQplayer upsampling to DSD512 with Windows 10 sounds phenomenal, and better then any other solution heard here to date. I would encourage you to purchase a system with this capability in your new build, even if you don't use it initially. You don't need the k version and related overclocking which is why I recommended a fixed clock version. Given your obvious passion for SQ, it would be a shame to see you build a new machine with a processor that is one model upgrade and $10 to 20 from being a dsd512 capable machine.

I'll shut up now.

Larry

Hi Larry,

As always, thank you for your valued input. I am very much in favor of upsampling, it's just I do it in my DAC (Chord DAVE) and not in my PC. DAVE upsamples well beyond DSD512 or 768kHz PCM via its FPGA. Chord's new M-scaler (due out next month) will allow DAVE to upsample even more (6x more) and I have my order placed already for this unit. Having heard it at CES in January, the differences are tremendous in terms of clarity, dynamics and depth.

I own 2 HQPlayer licenses (for Windows and Mac) and I have played with it extensively over the past year. I have a robust workstation with dual 8-core Xeons, 64GB of RAM and an nVidia K5000 GPU with 1536 CUDA cores and so upsampling to anything has not been a problem. In other systems based on chip DACs that I have heard, upsampling to DSD 128 and 256 resulted in a very nice improvement. Most chip DACs have considerable substrate noise and the smoothness of DSD nicely glosses over any harshness but DSD has its own compromises that I struggle with. With my DAVE, DSD512 resulted in a step down in SQ even though the DAVE's ASIO driver is capable of native DSD512 and not just DoP. Even 16/44 Redbook sounds better to my ears than anything upsampled to DSD512 with this DAC. I am probably in the minority in that I don't like the softness of DSD and its inherent timing issues and with HQP, I actually preferred upsampling to 768kHz over DSD512 but with my DAC, no HQP oversampling still sounded better.

This works out in my favor in that I don't have to concern myself with uber powerful (and electrically noisy) hardware.

I don't know if anyone has noticed this relatively new "audiophile" switch:

best audiophile Switch, high end switch - AQVOX Audio Devices

It's a nice looking switch and they seem to have addressed all the issues one would want addressed except maybe optical isolation but I agree, the asking price is steep given that the quality of the clock is uncertain.

Paul Pang has now released an actual audiophile-class router/switch with an OCXO clock and as expected, it isn't cheap:

SHOPPING AREA: AUDIO GRADE ROUTER ,SWITCH

Great post Roy.

Of course your above paragraph is a bit of deja vu from 3 years ago :) :

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/attention-current-mac-mini-users-boot-mavericks-sd-card-load-ramdisk-dismount-your-internal-sata-drives-and-pour-drink-musicians-walking-out-your-speakers-18159/

While my optimized SD card is still running Mavericks (with about 65 processes/280 threads), I'm trying to make time to slim an El Capitan install--to at least get under 100 processes--so I can run the current version of HQ Player (via other than the microRendu/NAA). Staying away from the truly bloated Sierra!

It is quite something how sonically competitive a simply-tweaked Mac mini can be. My setup with it is:

2012 i7 2.6GHz with 16GB RAM

Our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK)

Our JS-2 choke-filtered, dual-output, 5-7 amp LPS

32GB SD card booting heavily-slimmed OS

Internal SATA HD dismounted (I'd remove it entirely, but really need it, with its multiple partitions, for experiments and OS image building; but I "eject" all partitions when using for playback)

Only connections to the computer are:

1) the DC power cable (and the coax/SMA for the MMK>JS-2 pseudo-Kelvin-sense voltage feedback circuit);

2) the USB cable (ports 1 and 3 are the best sounding by far) feeding my pre-production ISO REGEN (itself powered by an LPS-1 of course)

3) 25 foot BlueJeans/Belden Cat6a Ethernet cable direct to the 27" 4GHz iMac on my desk--used for Screen Sharing and sharing of a large drive with my music library.

I have the direct Ethernet connection set up for Jumbo Frames (MTU 9000) as that reduces overhead and I thought I heard a difference long ago.

--------

I might build up a high-power machine for DSD512 someday (Larry bugs me about it all the time ;)), but life is too short for me stress with Windows. Seems likely that Linux DSD issues will get worked out, and I do think that a split high-horsepower SRC/SDM machine to low power, all linear regulated renderer device will be the most desirable.

--------

Continue on gents. I watch with pleasure...

--Alex C.

Thanks, Alex. I remember coming across your thread a few years back. The title of your thread was too compelling not to want to read through it. As I stated before, what you had done was a source of inspiration.

I agree that a Mac Mini is nice setup for a music server. It's housed in an attractive and fairly resonant-free aluminum chassis. Although Apple had different intentions for doing it, in shielding their RAM and CPU in a stainless steel cage, they also effectively provided a nice RF shield against 2 components that generate quite a bit of it. It also has very short signal paths and putting the SD card reader on a PCIE bus and allowing the OS to boot from it was a genius move. Despite its CPU fan, this thing generates only 11dB of noise and is essentially silent. Obviously, it lends itself to being powered by a 12V source and your MMK is the best way I know to do it. On top of that, their hardware just works which is the benefit of their closed system -- all their components have been vetted for compatibility and reliability. Compared against a NUC, I find it to be a better starting platform and many used Mac Minis can be found cheaply on Ebay.

I have not yet tried jumbo frames but it makes sense that playback of large music files this way could sound better.

I’ve been experimenting with various ethernet cables for both spans of the bridge that I’ve configured on my Mac Mini. Yesterday afternoon a friend (who’s also a Wireworld and Audioquest dealer) and I compared several different cables on both spans of that bridge. (Potentially dangerous to have a friend who brings audio goodies to your home and also brings with him a credit card reader. LOL)

Location 1: Paul Pang switch to microRendu (all 1 m):

1A: WW Starlight (~ $210 for 1m)

1B: Nordost Blue Heaven (~ $400 for 1m)

1C: WW Platinum Starlight (~ $850 for 1m)

Location 2: wall jack to Mac Mini (both 8m):

2A: WW Chroma (~ $200 for 8m, or $80 termination fee + $15 per meter)

2B: Audioquest Cinnamon (~ $200 for 8m)

(A custom 18" run of Audioquest Carbon CAT700 was used between Mac Mini and Paul Pang switch the entire time).

First up was 1A vs 1C with 2B left in place. It took a number of swaps, but I thought I heard a slight veil removed with 1C. It seemed subtle though.

Next was 2A vs 2B with 1C left in place. Much easier to hear important differences. The track "Words of Wonder" from Keith Richards' "Main Offender" album features some really interesting high hat playing. With the 2A everything was in the right place such that the high hats and the way they were struck was very convincing both spatially and tonally. 2B disrupted that somewhat by tossing out some important cues that conveyed realism. It also threw less clear of an imaging picture with a few other tracks. Back in the box it went.

Leaving the 2A in place we then swapped 1A for 1C and there was an apparent loss of transparency. The spatial and tonal cues of the high hat were mostly retained, but the high hat just didn't stand out as clearly. (Sigh)

The more we listened with 1C/2A in place the more impressed we became with its transparency. It did the best job of just getting the heck out of the way - but there’s definitely diminishing returns when considering the price of 1C over 1A. But if one is looking to squeeze out that very last bit, it's definitely worth giving this cable an audition. No, I didn't buy one.

Maybe most impressive was 2A - at least relative to the well regarded 2B. Construction-wise it also feels like you are getting much more from your money with 2A. The same connectors are used on all three levels of WW Ethernet.

Last up was 1B. This didn't get the same level of attention in terms of comparisons. It was about on par with the 1A, so it seemed too be priced too high. Also disappointing to see a $400 cable with connectors featuring the typical plastic tabs that seem to too easily break off.

The 8m run of WW Chroma remained in place last night after my friend left. I thought I heard some nice improvements over what I had been hearing with the 8m run of Audioquest Cinnamon in place, including a blacker background and improved clarity - particularly in the upper frequencies. I should point out that the Cinnamon had about three weeks to burn-in, while the WW Chroma had only 3-4 nights of burn-in prior to yesterday.

Hope this was of interest.

Thanks, Kenny! Very helpful. My impression is that the differences you heard weren't dramatic, is that right? I used to own the WW Silver Starlight and it made an obvious difference in my system (probably the most obvious of any ethernet cable I've ever tried) but not for the better (too much treble energy) and so I sold it recently. I know you didn't buy the WW Platinum. What did you decide to go with for your location 1? It sounds like you're sticking with the WW Chroma for Location 2?

I have also compared the BJC Cat6A and I find that cable to probably be the best value given its low cost. It uses floating shields and solid core copper and have rugged terminations. I found the relatively inexpensive Supra CAT8 to also sound good (slightly better than the BJC) in my setup. I tried the AQ Vodka and Diamond and they sounded fine but I didn't feel they were worth the money. I use SOtM's CAT6 only because I already own it (I bought it 2 years ago) and it seems to be as good as the Supra CAT8 resulting in better smoothness. Thus far, I have not found ethernet cables to make a huge difference but rather a nice finishing touch.

I've been following this thread with keen interest. Thanks for all those who have contributed, especially Romaz! I have been thinking as to whether or not this setup with a direct connection from my Mac Mini to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II. Keep in mind, the Bridge II on the DS DAC connects via ethernet and incorporates a Roon endpoint. So, from what I can gather, there is no obvious reason I couldn't "bridge" my Mac Mini with thunderbolt dual ethernet dongle and run direct to the Bridge II card on my DS DAC. Has anyone tried this?? I would love to ditch my USB connection. Thanks in advance for your input.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I used to own the DirectStream and I would be interested to know if this direct connection improves it.

Roy,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I really enjoy your every article and am always looking forward to your very thorough insight into each topic.

Back to sMS-200, by further investigating into it I realize that the CPU used is A20 from Allwinner. It's a dual core Cortex A7 ARM CPU. It needs an external Ethernet PHY which is Realtek RTL8211E. From Allwinner's linux-sunxi community it mentioned:

"For reliable Gigabit networking (1000Mbit operation), several sunxi devices require an important tweak that adjusts the relative timing of the clock and data signals to the PHY, in order to compensate for differing trace lengths on the PCB"

I believe that SOtM must have put a lot of effort in tweaking their Ethernet driver to come to it's present state. That may also explains why they prefer 100Mbps over gigabit at the early product stage.

I totally agree with your low impedance perspective. Yet I have some different point of view regarding the latency issue. The way I look at latency is a little similar to your view of CPU clock. It doesn't have to be the lowest but the consistent and predictable timing performance is one of the key factor to a good sounding system.

Another point that we all agree that could degrade SQ is the EMC interference. As we all know wherever electric current goes there's electric-magnetic field generated. It gets worse if the current fluctuates frequently. And as you said, which I couldn't agree more is, that "it is always better to prevent a problem or to address it at the source than to have to fix it downstream".

One way to achieve low current fluctuation is to use a fixed system clock. All that an audiophile music server needs is a steady and consistent operation without power saving nor hyper speed function. A fixed frequency system clock can do it just fine. And it is a unique feature in Daphile which I believe can improve the SQ quite a bit.

Based off the heavy lightweight media server belief, I'm very interested to give ROCK a try. I'll report back when I done the test.

Thanks, gadgetman. I always find it interesting to know the specific components used within a product and whether they were chosen for quality reasons or for cost-saving reasons. I'm sure SOtM was very intentional in their design of the sMS-200.

You've brought about an interesting point with CPU clocking that I hadn't considered. It completely makes sense to have as little current fluctuation as possible and so it would make sense to cap CPU frequency at a specific baseline and prevent turbo mode which is easy enough to do in BIOS. I already disable any power saving.

Yes, I'm interested to hear how ROCK sounds. Unfortunately, it doesn't lend itself to end-user tweaking and so you can't bridge your LAN ports within ROCK.

The improvement from WW Platinum Starlight over WW Starlight fell into "subtle but important, but not important enough that I couldn't live without it". So no, definitely not dramatic.

I noticed the same subtle difference with the more expensive AQ Diamond over the Vodka. I understand that pure silver is very expensive (especially UP-OCC grade silver) but with these cables, I didn't think that last bit of refinement you got was anywhere close to being worth the money.

But the improvement from WW Chroma over AQ Cinnamon was more along the lines of "I gotta have that!", but of course the price factored into that.

Very interesting.

As I mentioned I heard nothing like that here relative to any of the other Ethernet cables I've had here. Maybe you could try their Chroma? The absence of silver might reduce the treble energy but still give you the benefit of their noise reducing construction.

I actually prefer the detail and speed of high-grade silver done right but I have noticed that I struggle with silver-plated copper. I understand why they do it but it often comes across as sounding disjointed to my ears but this is obviously a personal sensitivity.

WW Starlight at location 1 and WW Chroma at location 2. I am *extremely* pleased with how everything is sounding now. I honestly still can't get over how I got such a massive upgrade from swapping my Mac Pro for the Mac Mini/MMK/JS-2.

I agree. This statement really puts these differences in perspective.

Given all the positive comments about BJC's Ethernet cables, I know I should have tried some. I'm just having trouble getting over a not very positive experience I had listening to one of their interconnects in my system several years ago.

We have a very similar experience with their interconnects. Back when I didn't really believe cables made a difference, I bought a whole loom of BJC cabling including balanced interconnects. I had just taken possession of a brand new HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE (an electrostatic headphone amp) and I was very excited to own this amp after years of lusting after it and being mesmerized by it at headphone meets. I connected it to my DAC with my BJC balanced interconnects and it sounded horrible, just thin and lifeless! I thought maybe the cables needed to be broken in but even after a couple hundred hours, they were no better and I was ready to sell this amp out of disgust when a colleague lent me a pair of modestly priced Morrow interconnects and amazingly, this amp came to life. Same deal with their analog RCA cables and their speaker cables but their ethernet cables and HDMI cables are different. I have found those to be of very high quality and an excellent value.

I'm thinking if several people ask the Roon developers, they may add such an option in the web interface.

Also I haven't checked if NUC's has dual RJ45. Which I suppose is a must, unless a USB to Ethernet dongle is a good working solution.

It supports thunderbolt.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/rock-what-linux-distribution-answered-there-is-no-3rd-party-os/21613

https://ark.intel.com/products/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK

I had read your post on the Roon forum. Thanks for bringing it up with them but it seems their response was fairly clear that ROCK was designed to be a ready-made optimized Roon OS for non-tweakers. From what I can tell, the user has almost no customization options at all. From what I read, it was also specifically designed to run only on NUCs and so it has a very specific target.

At CES, I got a chance to see the newest round of Intel NUCs and none of them have dual NICs but a few will have Thunderbolt 3 ports. Gigabyte's newest batch of NUCs (BRIX), however, will have both dual NICs and Thunderbolt 3 and so this could be a good option for some:

Gigabyte Brix Get Updated - Skylake Processors, Thunderbolt 3, GeForce GTX 950M & Dual Gigabit LAN - Legit Reviews

Hi All

I’ve been playing with my bridged DC powered ASrock J1900 running W10 pro/Process Lasso/Fidelizer/minimserver set up by trying out Audiophile Optimiser for the first time. TBH I really had some reservations about how effective AO could be given my lowly MOBO and My lack of experience PC wise.

From a fresh W10 pro install.

All I can say is WOW what a nice bump up in SQ using AO has turned out to be. Silky smooth, more detail, larger soundstage, more depth, more of just about everything except grain and hash helping my SMS200 to sing very nicely. The filter options are just great and allow fine tuning of the tonal balance from D4 tube like to 1A ultra Solid State. To my ears and in my set up the filter changes are pretty easy to hear. As romaz mentioned well worth the admission fee alone.

I have ATM settled on W10/ AO Ultra/C2/Minimserver Shell (no up-sampling) set to real time Game mode with Process Lasso making for a pretty light weight server. My music is stored on NAS directly connected to the bridge which I preferred to USB HDD. No Fidelizer pro yet but that’s coming once I have a better handle on the sound that I have now.

I also run HQPlayer on another machine but that’s for later.

TBH I was a little intimidated by the AO to start with but even for a numpty like myself it’s pretty easy to get the hang of and in use

works very well. I just followed the PDF guide which is comprehensive and easy to use.

AO is just superb and works very nicely in my set up.

Great Job Phil.

And secondly.

Heartbreakingly hard to admit J but I swapped out my DIY Power supply to Sbooster 12V with IFI IDC Purifier for the SMS200. It’s so much better than my 9V DIY effort (AMB a11 ) with IDC Purifier it’s a joke. Bigger, more dynamic and even more detailed which could be just the bump up in supply voltage but I suspect not.

I also realise that adding Uptone’s LPS-1 could improve things still further but funds are short and it’s hard to justify the extra expense ATM TBH but maybe later once the money tree has grown a little taller J.

In my set up the SBooster is money well spent. (Even if I do have to admit that the shop bought PSU beat my own work hands down L). I also compared to the stock switcher and IFI 9V supplies and well errr no contest to my ears and in my set up.

This thread as led me to a very happy place sound wise so thanks again to all who have contributed and an extra thanks to romaz for starting this interesting ride.

It’s been fun so far.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Shoom. My experience with AO has thus far been very similar to yours. Also interesting to know your take on the Sbooster. I have yet to hear from someone who wasn't impressed by their supplies. While I suspect it would sound better than your DIY effort if they were both 12V supplies, I have found that with the sMS-200, 12V sounds slightly better than 9V. I have also found that 9V sounds slightly better than 7V with the mR even though it runs slightly warmer.

For those of you wondering if ROCK is able to use 2 or more Ethernet ports or doubting if the direct connection between the Roon server and network streamer is achievable, worry no more! I can confirm that all is working well in alpha version, in a way.

Here's some pictures you can refer to.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33618[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33619[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33620[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33617[/ATTACH]

I'll post the detail procedure later.

Whoa! Possible game changer. How does it sound?

Hi Romaz,

Wow, what a response to my post about approaching CA from opposite corners! Your response is one of best, most articulate and thoughtful posts I've ever seen on CA. We need a posting "hall of fame" button.

Instead of opposite corner, perhaps other end of the stick would have been a better analogy. In two years I have bought and sold 4 DACs, and have had 3 long term loaner DACs resident in the $2 to 5k price range.

No more, I am currently thrilled with my $550 IFI Black Label DAC playing hqplayer upsampled everything at DSD512.

Why? I concluded that SQ is so profoundly influenced by the PC hardware and software environment that until the PC environment was stable and sounding its best there was no way to truly validate the difference in quality of various DACs in any price range.

Think about the past year or so. It has only been since last January that Intel chips have been available that have the performance needed to crunch DSD512. Groundbreaking devices like the LPS-1 are only available since October 2016. Roon is less than a year old. We have seen major releases of operating systems, AO and HQplayer in the same timeframes. This is a quickly moving field and until it slows, it is tough for me to justify a major investment in a technology that could be made obsolete so quickly. So, I choose to use commodity components for my digital front end, including my DAC.

My analog side is Wilson and Modwright and as speaker and amplification technologies are well understood and stable the investment is easy to research and justify.

Sadly, someday we will see the bottom of the bottomless pit known as ComputerAudiophile sound quality. But for now I am just amazed that the innovations keep coming and that the SQ gets better and better.

Lastly no need to apologise for not posting your configuration. I never have.

Thanks again for your wonderful post.

Thank you, Larry. Over the years, as I have scoured the forums for much-needed information, I frequently came across your posts (including your posts on bridging LAN ports a few years back) and I always found them to be well-reasoned, balanced and insightful. Much respect.

What you say about digital is very true. While I have a firm grasp of the analog side of my chain, I don't feel that way about digital. It's just evolving so quickly. Just when I think I have everything figured out, something new comes out from nowhere and I find myself having to recalibrate my thinking. If you could only see the stockpile of digital gear and parts I have lying around, it's quite depressing, but once you hear how much better the new thing is, it's hard to unhear what you've heard. Hopefully, one day soon, I'll learn to be content with what I have but for now, I am quite amazed how simple and small changes have lead to fairly profound improvements and so it's hard to want to get off the bus just yet. There is one observation that has become quite clear, however, and that is it makes no sense to spend huge money on digital these days. Things get obsolete much too quickly and technology quickly trickles down. I believe you are wise to let the dust settle before making big changes. Now, if only I could learn the same lesson...

Bad clock > Better clock > Best clock

My second LPS-1 arrived today and I found myself with new found flexibility to try some different things while I await parts for my upcoming build to come in.

As many know, aside from this Trend Net switch that I sent in to SOtM to have its clock replaced with the sCLK-EX, I also own a Paul Pang switch with TCXO clock. As previously reported, this Trend Net with its upgraded clock readily improved upon the Paul Pang switch by a considerable margin. Since the arrival of the sCKL-EX, this Paul Pang switch has been sitting idle. With the aid of my new LPS-1, I decided to reintroduce this switch back into the "direct connection" pathway. Here is what I compared:

Here is my baseline setup: Mac Mini > Trend Net switch with sCLK (LPS-1) > sMS-200 Ultra (LPS-1) > dX-USB HD Ultra (SR7) >DAC

Configuration (1): Mac Mini > Paul Pang switch with TCXO (LPS-1) > Trend Net switch with sCLK-EX (LPS-1) > sMS-200 Ultra (LPS-1)...

Configuration (2): Mac Mini > Trend Net switch with sCLK-EX (LPS-1) > Paul Pang switch with TCXO (LPS-1) > sMS-200 Ultra (LPS-1)...

Once again, I have already established that the sCLK-EX is a much better clock than the TCXO. At the present time, my Mac Mini has stock clocks.

Findings:

Configuration 1:

This configuration goes from bad clock to better clock to best clock. Compared against my baseline setup, the addition of the Paul Pang switch with TCXO clock positioned before the Trend Net switch and with both powered by my new LPS-1 very nicely resulted in further improvement in SQ. It wasn't a giant improvement but was easily noticeable. Bass was stronger, separation was better, transients were cleaner, guitar plucks had a crisper staccato...nothing bad, all good. By now, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but yet I am.

Configuration 2:

This configuration now goes from bad clock to best clock to intermediate clock. Compared against Configuration 1, SQ for sure takes a hit. It still sounds good but there is an obvious diminishment in dynamics. Transients are slightly more diffuse and the guitar staccato is noticeably softer. Compared against baseline, it's a close call. I will need to do further listening and will probably need to blind test to convince myself but my initial inclination is that it sounds just slightly more compressed compared against baseline suggesting that this switch has now actually caused harm.

Just for kicks, I proceeded with a Configuration 3 even though I was pretty sure I knew what would happen.

Configuration 3: Mac Mini > Paul Pang (LPS-1) > Trend Net (LPS-1) > NETGEAR GS108TV2 with stock switching PSU > sMS-200 Ultra..

I use this Netgear switch in my home theater. It has no special clocks and as noted above, I used its stock 12V switching PSU to power it because it's all I had. Not surprisingly, there is an obvious harshness that is introduced and dynamics and liquidity are significantly compromised. No bueno.

CONCLUSIONS: I had previously postulated that a bad clock that follows a good clock has the potential to negate the good clock. These findings would support that theory. Without a doubt, it's best to put your best clock at the end and to avoid all bad clocks whenever possible. Once again, I am surprised that further reclocking (with good clocks) results in better and better SQ but my guess is that with each reclocking, there has to be some diminishing return. I am more optimistic now than before that replacing all pertinent clocks in my upcoming build will result in further improvement in SQ.

Hi Romaz,

Can you please explain what precisely do you mean by the passage in quotes here?

More specifically to file storage, what is giving you the best results now. The SATA adaptor to SDcards you mentioned is interesting. Did you suggest that SD cards are a better solution for storage (in terms of SQ) than the alternatives? That has been my suspicion too...

I'm too having a very fine SQ with the MacMini booted from SDcard with El Capitain. Moreover, I'm using a mac-to-mac connection as suggested by Superdad a few years ago. Also, my macmini is already on the best PS I can think of and I'm using Roon.

All those "extra things" you're using (microrendu, sms200, clocks, switch, USBoptimizer, and respective supplies) can become very expensive and a small nightmare in terms of space, cables, etc. Pardon me if I hesitate a bit... but it's a potential mess, as you'll probably agree. I have read this entire thread and one would be silly not to believe your findings, as they are very well explained and documented. But if you compare the macmini-sdcard system (the one I'm using) with that same system plus all the extras in question (apparently what you are using), do you think now it really pays off? In other words, unplug all those "extra" supplies from the wall (remove all the "extras" from the room if possible) and play the mini for a while. Now connect all the extras and listen. What happens?

Hi Spartan,

You raise very good questions. You have an excellent setup already and so as always, if you are happy with the SQ you are getting, there's no reason to do anything further.

As to whether a highly optimized Mac Mini setup such as yours can be improved upon by something like the mR or sMS-200, my answer is yes, absolutely. My Mac Mini setup isn't that different from yours. I am using Uptone Audio's excellent MMK just like you are which allows me to power it with my Paul Hynes SR7, the finest PSU I have personally experienced. Presently, I am running an optimized version of El Capitan off of an SD card just like you are. I understand you are using Alex's Mac-to-Mac connection method to access your music files and I have no doubt that this sounds better than streaming from a NAS but thus far, my best SQ is playback from an SD card using a Thunderbolt SD card reader from Sonnet Tech and I suspect this method of playback is at least as good as your Mac-to-Mac direct connection. Having tested and compared this further just this evening, it is superior to playback from an SSD or hard drive even though my SSD and hard drive were each powered by an LPS-1 during my comparisons. The difference isn't as prominent compared against the OS off the SD card vs the OS off an SSD or hard drive but there is definitely a quieter and less stressed quality to music playback when files are stored on an SD card which is to my preference.

Despite all of these optimizations, I cannot get my Mac Mini by itself to sound anywhere as good as when my Mac Mini is fronted by either the mR or sMS-200 via this direct connection. Here are some reasons why I believe this is the case:

1. Clocks. This is an obvious topic of interest for me right now given how dramatic the differences I am hearing with a really good clock against a bad clock. Having torn apart my second Mac Mini recently, I was able to identify at least 2 clocks that I could replace with SOtM's new sCLK-EX if I decided to stick with my Mac Mini and that would be the system clock and the LAN clock. If I chose to replace these bad clocks with SOtM's new superclock, without question, I would power this SOtM clock board with a 12V lead from another SR7 that I have on order because I have found that the quality of power to the clock to be extremely important. Now here's the problem with the Mac Mini or any PC that you can build today that utilizes any of the off-the-shelf motherboards that are commercially available. Even if I replace the main system clock (24MHz), there are many subsystems within the motherboard (SATA, USB, PCIE, video card, audio card, etc) that require independent clocking but do not operate at the 24MHz frequency of the main system clock and so what happens is that these subsystems derive their timing from sub-clocks (DPLL) that use the main clock as a master clock. Is this as good as having separate master clocks for each subsystem? No, it's a compromise but moreover, guess how these DPLLs are powered? By noisy switching regulators that all off-the-shelf motherboards utilize. With either an mR or sMS-200, much higher quality clocks are used and these clocks are powered by ultra low noise linear regulators.

2. Ground plane noise. In the Mac Mini or any PC, this will come from many sources including numerous switching voltage regulators, a current-hungry CPU, RAM, internal storage, various unnecessary ICs, and potentially the power supply. While the current draw of your optimized Mac Mini is pretty low compared to other PCs, it still will be higher compared against the mR or sMS-200. Powered by a 9V supply, the sMS-200 draws well below 0.5A. Powered by a 12V supply, the draw is even less and this is how I prefer to power the sMS-200 because it sounds even better this way. The point is this is why Roon strongly advocates an ethernet connection between a noisy server and a much quieter Roon endpoint because ethernet is inherently galvanically isolated and would help isolate some of this noise.

3. Heavy OS. Despite my efforts to optimize El Capitan, I was never able to get it to be as light weight (and therefore sound as good) as Windows with Audiophile Optimizer. The Linux OS used by either the mR or sMS-200 (which also runs off an SD card) is even lighter weight.

4. Impedance. The Mac Mini (or NUC) has a nice compact form factor with short signal paths but the signal paths in either the mR or sMS-200 are even shorter. Furthermore, the very fine PSU you are using to power your Mac Mini will likely not have as low an output impedance as an LPS-1 that you could use to power either an mR or sMS-200.

5. USB. The best way to do USB is to use a dedicated USB card (such as from SOtM or Paul Pang) with it's own high quality clock (not DPLL) and independently powered by a high quality linear PSU. This isn't possible with a Mac Mini or NUC as they have no free PCIe slots and even if it was, these USB cards don't offer galvanic isolation like ethernet does. You could use an Intona or Adnaco but to be on par with an mR or sMS-200, you would need to replace the bad clocks in these devices and even then, there's no guarantee. SOtM has apparently explored the Intona and found this device to create considerable jitter that has as much to do with the chipset used and not just a substandard clock. Of course, the soon-to-be-released Iso Regen by Uptone Audio could be the X-factor and could very well alter the landscape once again.

I'm asking this apparently redundant question because a few post ahead you said you have returned to the sdcard with elcapitain with great relief. And sometimes we travel great lengths looking for improvement to realize much later that what we had before was better. Was that (at least partially) the case?

By the way, what OS system are you planning to use in your future server (nice project!)

I have to say that to be able to run the OS off an SD card is huge and it is one reason I much prefer the Mac Mini to a NUC. This concept has been promoted by Paul Pang for years and with a build that I ultimately scrapped 2 years ago, I was going to use Paul's CF to SATA adapter which also incorporated his OCXO clock for my OS. And yes, it is my experience that the OS drive has a greater impact on SQ than the music drive.

My only problem with running El Capitan off an SD card was that despite my best efforts to optimize it, I could never get below about 115 open processes whereas with Windows, you can get down to 15-20 open processes. I thought quite possibly that an optimized Windows OS off a PCIE SSD could sound better than El Capitan off an SD card. What I found was that it both sounded better and worse. The PCIE SSD definitely added an unpleasant fatiguing harshness but Windows Server 2012R2 + AO + Process Lasso was without question a better OS than El Capitan and furthermore, I found the sound signature/digital filter options that come with AO to be invaluable. If there was a way to run Windows off an SD card in the Mac Mini, my problems would be solved but thus far, I have not figured out how to do this and neither have my IT friends at Apple.

With my upcoming server build, I will compare what I can and am open minded to whatever sounds best but as of now, the best OS I have heard with Roon is Window Server 2012R2 + AO in minimal server mode + Process Lasso. I am determined to run this OS off a 64GB SLC compact flash card using the following device:

CF to SATA.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030D3T16/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A324BLMM6O8TAP

Unlike the Mac Mini, I will be able to power this adapter and my compact flash card using an LPS-1. It also has a clock that potentially can be replaced.

...is there a way, or adaptor, you have tried, that allows us to use extra SD cards (other than, of course, the SD card used for the system) for storage?

As you have suggested, the downside of SD card storage is limited space. They presently get as large as 512GB although 1TB SDXC cards have been announced by SanDisk and SDXC has the potential to reach 2TB. I have ordered these SD-to-SATA devices to try out although I don't know how good they will be. One device can hold 4 SDXC cards and the other can hold 10 microSD cards (up to 1.28TB of storage) and either device can be independently powered by an LPS-1.

4 SD SDHC SDXC MMC TF Card to SATA 2.5" SSD enclosure Adapter RAID Function WP | eBay

10x Micro SD TF Memory Card to SATA SSD Adapter RAID Quad 2.5" SATA Converter | eBay

In any case, I was not asking about the term "direct connection", but the rest of the quote : "For those of us who apply proper care and attention to our upstream components, we are rewarded for our efforts and for those of us who don't, there are sonic penalties. "

What I have found this "direct connection" between music server and endpoint to result in is a greater transparency not just to the recording but also to the upstream components which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. With either the mR or sMS-200 directly connected to the router, it matters far less how good (or bad) the server is. Without the router in the direct path, suddenly bad sources sound bad and good sources sound good. With this direct connection, things like an optimized OS, less noisy storage and a better power supply to the server make much more of a difference.

@romaz just to be clear, in your base configuration are you still using a direct connection between mac mini and sms-200? From what you wrote it looks like the mac mini and sms-200 are both connected to the Trendnet?

Yes, when I say "direct connection," I mean that the router is no longer in the path between server and endpoint. With respect to the Trendnet, it is indeed in the direct path. Without a decent clock and powered by a switching PSU, a switch in the direct path definitely negatively impacts SQ. With respect to the Trendnet which has had its clock replaced by SOtM's superclock and is powered by an LPS-1, it significantly improves SQ.

It is still amazing to me that the addition of a better clock upstream of 3 existing "best" clocks still resulted in an SQ boost!

I agree, Rajiv. I am surprised as well and this is the best way I know to explain it:

The best signal you can have is the original unfettered, unadulterated signal but as this signal goes through the signal path, it goes through repeated processing and reprocessing and with each processing, that signal must be regenerated and reclocked. When the signal from your ISP enters your internet modem, it is processed. It is processed again when the data is converted into an ethernet stream and again with every switch or FMC it encounters and again when that stream reaches your server's LAN port, and when it hits your system bus, and when it is rendered by your CPU and so on and so on. With ever regeneration and reclocking of the signal, there is potential for the signal to be harmed through the introduction of jitter through poor clocking and the introduction of substrate noise that is likely to be additive as the signal moves through the chain.

While this is pure conjecture, my experience would suggest that placement of a clean and accurate clock in the signal path has the potential to clean up and even repair some of the harm that has been caused but if the harm already done is significant, a single reclocking may only be able to improve it so much. A good analogy might be running a fairly clean car through a car wash vs running an off-road vehicle with caked on mud and tar through that same car wash. It may take several car washes before the off-road vehicle gets thoroughly cleaned and even with multiple washings, it may not be possible to completely clean it. This is why I have suggested that it would probably be best to avoid bad things in the signal path early on rather than having to add heroic (and expensive) fixes at the end.

What I wonder is if this phenomenon would hold true with more modest DACs.

My guess is that if your system (which would include not just your DAC but also your amp, speakers and cables) is resolving enough to reveal the benefits of this direct connection, it is probably resolving enough to reveal the benefits of better clocking. While I suspect there is more to this direct connection than just avoiding the bad clocking introduced by your router and any bad switches after the router, I suspect that has to be at least part of the reason. Of course, as this direct connection brings about even greater resolution and transparency to your system, I suspect the impact of removing bad upstream clocks or introducing reparative downstream clocks should become all the more apparent. Once I find the time, I will borrow other DACs from friends and see what kind of difference I hear but I would be surprised if I hear no difference at all.

With the superior clocking in place on your switch, go back to a switched instead of direct connection.

I have already done this. Using my Trend Net switch in the "direct path" as my reference, I then placed this switch just after my router and then plugged both my Mac Mini and my sMS-200 into this switch. While it did result in some improvement compared against plugging both the Mac Mini and sMS-200 straight into the router, it was quite small and definitely only a fraction of what I got with the switch in the direct path. Based on this small amount of SQ improvement, I would not find the switch upgrade to be worthwhile.