IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

11 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

But I wouldn't rule out that the LPS-1 beats the sps-500, as 2 LPS-1's in a series would raise the impedance level of the output

I know, this was the only way I could test the LPS-1s with 12v ultras.  It would still be a reference point for anyone that has tested a similar setup.

13 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I'm looking forward to the Paul Hynes SR7 @ 12V, any day now??

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions as I hope to try SR7s.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

4 minutes ago, mozes said:

Great one more PSU to join the top league of PSUs, more choices at reasonable budgets

I have only used reasonable priced power supplies so far.

Reading the reviews on this forum it's only a matter of time before I can't resist a Vinnie Rossi or Paul Hynes.  Maybe UpTone will release a more powerful UltraCap that would be on my list too :)

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, romaz said:

Against my LPS-1, I find the LPS-1 easily superior with respect to dynamic contrasts, both macro but especially microdynamics.

Were you using the sPS-500 and LPS-1 to power a tX-USBultra at 7v?

My SOtM Ultra units are 12v and I had to run 2 x LPS-1s in series to get 12v which obviously isn't ideal.  In this config I preferred the sPS-500.

I have compared the sPS-500 to the following for a few weeks:

2 x LPS-1s in series

Sbooster 12v

MCRU (Longdog) 12v

Teddy Pardo 12/2 12v

It is a clear winner.

A quick update on my findings SOtM sPS-500 v UpTone LPS-1.  I was running 2 x LPS-1s in series  to supply 12v for my comparisons which I always knew was a compromise for the LPS-1s.  The sPS-500 was a clear winner in this test.  I currently own 3 x LPS-1s and have another in the ISO Regen bundle which @austinpop is currently testing.

I now have the use of a 6.5-9v tX-USBultra with 50Ω master clock connector for a few weeks.  The one I own is 9v-12v with 75Ω master clock connector.

Todays test system was:  mRendu (powered by a LPS-1 7v) > Mutec REF 10 (50ohm connection) > tX-USBultra (7v) > Chord Hugo 2 > Bryston BP6 > 4x Bryston 7B³s > B&W 800d3s (bi-amped).

A Zero Zone 12v 6A linear power supply is energizing both LPS-1s,  short Canare 4S8 Star Quad DC cables with Qyaide plugs were used except for the SOtM standard 30cm DC cable.

I used the following track for testing ( TCHAIKOVSKY / KORNGOLD Concerto for Violin and Orchestra in D major, op. 35, Finale. Allegro assai vivace (Mutter/LSO).  I have run this test for over an hour now, alternating between the 2 PSs.

The UpTone LPS-1 is better than the sPS-500 running the 7v tX-USBultra.  The  tX-USBultra is supposed to sound better running at 9v, I think a filter stage is disabled when running at 7v.

Like @austinpop reported the LPS-1 is hot when powering the tX-USBultra 7v.  This doesn't happen when using 2 in series to provide 12v.

38 minutes ago, austinpop said:
  • Is 3 > 2?
  • Is 1 still > 3?

I only have this 6.5-9v tX-USBultra as I ordered another 12v version and the dealer sent this by mistake.

I may only have it for a few more days so will be testing the above tonight.

I don't if my dealer is reading this because I just received an email within seconds to say they have arranged a courier for Friday to exchange the items :)

13 minutes ago, austinpop said:

BTW - for those of you with the SMB clock connectors on your SOtM Ultra gear, what SMB cables are you using? I'm thinking of these 6" (15cm) cables:

I haven't ordered any yet until my items come back from SOtM.

My impressions from tonights tX-USBultra (6.5v-9v) tests.

sPS-500 set at 9v is better than 7v.

The LPS-1 sounds much better than the sPS-500 (at any power setting).

1 minute ago, auricgoldfinger said:

No issues running a 9v device with the LPS-1 on the 7v setting?

This version of the tX-USBultra has a power input range of between  6.5v and 9v.

Just now, auricgoldfinger said:

There is no risk to the LPS-1 of running a device set to 9v when the power supply is only rated for a maximum of 7v?

The LPS-1 will only be supplying 7v.

13 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Is tX-USBUltra = tX-USBexp+sCLK-EX?  Or tX-USBUltra still better in term of SQ?

Without having both to test I think they would sound the same.

2 minutes ago, phusis said:

And with all due respect to posters romaz, austinpop and others who're prominently laying bare their very well articulated impressions, it's ok to differ with their sonic findings (if such is the case) and strongly form ones own opinion or ways to come about describing what you're hearing.

I'm not being influenced by any of these other posters as you infer.

My SOtM units are 12v versions and can't be powered by a single LPS-1.  A mistake by the dealer gave me the first chance I've had to compare both power supplies on a level playing field.

I can type up a full report when I have more time.

2 minutes ago, elan120 said:

My bigger question is whether having the sCLK-EX clock output to router switch prior to music server be helpful elevating SQ at all?

I've been concentrating on having the sCLK-EX points fitted to everything from the switch to DAC at this stage.  The distances involved in my setup become an issue going further back.

Has anyone with a 12v sMS-200ultra tried the 6.5V~8.4v setting in this option table on their sCLK-EX board?

image.thumb.png.b0bc93a938d50fd15d93a6e0e6f56bd4.png

16 hours ago, Always.Learning said:

Based on many tests, I came to the conclusion that the IR is best placed just before my tX USB ultra,

I agree with this.

A few pics of the SOtM modded items which have just arrived back.

I can now hear why so many of you mod the Singxer SU-1, the soundstage/imaging is amazing with the REF 10 engaged.

W4S DAC2v2SE.JPG

Singxer SU-1.JPG

Singxer SU-1 Internal.JPG

Other Mods.JPG

30 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

What was the cost for modyfing the SU-1? 

The sCLK-EX board was USD750 + USD100 installation cost, replacing the caps was USD20.

I also paid for a few other options like the master clock connection etc.

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

Since it is not clear from the picture, did they not upgrade the 24.576MHz oscillator or they use the REF0 to control the output of both 22.5792MHz and 24.576MHz (my speculation)?  

You are correct both internal clocks were replaced and I requested  the 3rd external clock point for a future upgrade project.

They have moved one internal clock point as you spotted as I asked them to make any changes they felt would bring an improvement.

@elan120 I've just read your SU-1 mod posts and am impressed with your G-10 blank plate.

I'm going to order some 1/8"(3mm) G-10 and will probably make a poor attempt to copy this.:) 

While testing the modded W4S DAC2V2SE DAC I am now able to set the Jitter Eliminator setting to level 1 and also disable it.  I couldn't lower this setting below the default level 3 before the mod without frequent dropouts.

57 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Curious what this does, but I'm not expert on DAC internals. 

This setting controls the digital tracking for the ESS 9038PRO.   The lower the number the narrower the tracking window becomes and SQ can improve.

Previously if I lowered this setting to 2 while playing DSD128 or DSD256 tracks it resulted in dropouts.

2 hours ago, elan120 said:

Hope this helps, and let me know in case you have questions about getting your back plate cut.

Thank you for helpful tips, I will send you a PM if I have any further questions.

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

I was able to locate an OP-14, and it has been shipped to me.

Well done sourcing the OP-14, perHabst another listening session with @limniscate can be scheduled?

18 hours ago, austinpop said:

BTW - Does the DAC2v2 SE do native DSD or does it require DoP?

It can do native DSD