IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

7 minutes ago, KingRex said:

The Topaz did a very good job with my Conrad Johnson Premier 140.  It got rid of a lot of mechanical noise.  It made the front end equipment shift in a way I did not want to go so I only plugged the amp into the receptacle fed by it.  I sold that amp and use a set of Altec Lansing 1570B modded by Tom Tutay with Transition Audio Design.  The Topaz shifts the sound for those amps in an undesirable direction.   I wrote in another post how I view power conditioning as hit and miss.  You have to listen and see what it does for you.  With the CJ, it took Emmanuel Go with First Sound Audio to teach me how to hear the slight veil it added.  That veil was so small compared to the benefits, I would still be using it if it were not for my purchasing different amps.  The new amps show a pronounced suppression of way too much ??????  It just does not sound right.  The Altec responded very well to the Akiko Corelli.  So did all my front end gear.  I had the Tripp Lite first.  It worked well with the CJ but I did not feel it had the headroom so I went bigger with the 2.4kva.  Definitely freed up the air and ease of play.  Lot more headroom.  Its a very good transformer and will provide a great benefit in some circumstances.  

It's interesting that a device that is supposed to clean the line of noise has a negative impact on some devices.  It makes me wonder why.  I'm going to have to read some more about isolation transformers.

17 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

If you are daisy chaining dual receptacles that would be true. But if you are using a pig-tail system (from a large feeder), then each dual receptacle gets it's own pig-tails.

Considering the emphasis on wire gauge is there any degradation by using pigtails, stepping down the gauge with an adapter, using spades, or going through a jumpered isolation transformer? 

5 minutes ago, WuNgUn said:

For a short run like a pigtail (6 or 8"), I'd say no... As long as you're still using 14 or 12awg.

Voltage drop would be negligible on short runs as long as you calculate your loading with respect to awg. 

Which brings up another question...

If youre running 8awg was it...? to the breaker panel, how are you protecting that conductor? I don't even know if that would fit in a 15 or 20a breaker. 

I'm running 10 awg with 20amp breakers.  No issue there.  My main concern was when I'm coming off the wire with a spade whether I'm choking the current.  Also the spades aren't copper, or maybe they're tin plated copper.  A twisted pigtail gets better contact than a crimped spade.  It's probably negligible but when you go to the trouble of rewiring you don't want to do anything which would negatively impact the work. 

29 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Why are you using a spade.  Get rid of them. They are not helping the sound. Turn of the breaker, cut off the spade, strip the wire back about 3/4 inch and put them under the clamp. Tighten them pretty firm. Once you have them set strait and ready to screw back on the box, check the torque.   Didn't you say you have Porter Ports or Furutech.  They have a clamp, easy to do. You may have to put a twist on the ground. Not sure if you have a screw only or clamp there too.

I will try and post a couple pix on how to wire receptacles with pig tails or using large gauge wire. 

Thanks, will do.  The electrician used spades because the 10 gauge is solid and difficult to bend around the screws.  I'll work on them myself.

1 hour ago, KingRex said:

Johnseye, what has a spade connection?   The receptacle or the termination point in what appears to be a fused disconnect from what One And A Half is showing. I thought you were messing with a receptacle.  I would not advise getting into your panel. Way to dangerous. 

That wasn't my picture One and a Half was showing.  I'm referring to the receptacle and at the isolation transformer.

1 hour ago, KingRex said:

Then cut the spades off.  They will impact performance.  Do you have (2) duplex receptacles in a wall box or just one.  See photo.  I want to send a picture demonstrating how I would wire them.

Can you pull, the face off your transformer and send a picture.  Need to see that too.  This one is hard wired with wire nuts. My other had a terminal block. I want to look at the screws.  See photo. 

53 minutes ago, KingRex said:

This is how I wire a quad.  I am only showing the white and ground for the example. Notice the jumper on the neutral. Notice the ground is open to the clockwise rotation of the screw so it will clamp tight when you torque the screw. Also notice on the ground I pinched the wire together before tightening it. Most of the better receptacles have clamps on the side of the ground just like on the neutral and hot. If I were working with a number six I would pigtail off with number tens. This configuration is called a pigtail.  The tan wirenut is good for 3x#10 wires. Red is easier for a novice. 

Here's how I twisted the hot, neutral and ground.  I've got about 190 ft between the two circuits.  I'm looking at about $3k worth of work once the drywall repairs are done, plus the transformer which was another $350.  In the end, it was worth it but I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend $3k on.

20180112_104754.thumb.jpg.1b0b5191900835ad4470a6ca8c5de8a4.jpg

Some outlets are duplex, some are quads.  Here's an example of a duplex (cryo'd Hubble for what it's worth).  This was done by the electrician.  I don't like the size of the nuts, they're too big and take up more space inside the box than needed.  Notice the spade on the ground.  The outlet looks close to the floor because I built a riser for a second tier of theater seats.

20180116_225441.thumb.jpg.5d7ee73beb74c4cf2409cbd7ee119b44.jpg20180116_225424.thumb.jpg.290b130869dcc8eb9f681585890f0989.jpg

Here's the H side of the transformer.  It is in immaculate condition.  The X side is a bit more complicated and where I struggled with grounding the neutral.  I actually did the wiring on this.  There's a slight hum when sitting on the wood.  Much less on carpet.  I've got it sitting in a closet in the back end of the room.  Out of sight, sound and mind.  This sits between the breaker and 2 outlets, one hosting my amp and sub in the front of the room and the other hosting all my two channel gear off a single Shunyata PDU.

I introduced it at the same time as all the wiring and some other changes.  I plan to connect all my gear using an extension cord to the other dedicated circuit I had installed.  Then I can compare with and without.  What I believe I am hearing, with this is dead, black quiet where it should be, revealing sounds, or more of the music I couldn't hear before.  Recorded sounds like breath and guitar amp hum is much more noticeable.

20180116_225639.thumb.jpg.fe517a51d083ae38cdea5dd6fb6b6d1e.jpg20180116_225649.thumb.jpg.c44dea9da0ecfdd24c3b3103affe8dc4.jpg

8 hours ago, KingRex said:

I don't get it.  The sCLK-EX appears to be a clock.  What does it have to do with connecting Ethernet to my server.  Yes my internal data source is outstanding.  I am absolutely astounded at the SQ with Win Server 16, AO and HQ player.  Incredibly musical and engaging.

And yes.  Simple is the key.  My wife needs to turn the  monitor on and select an artist to listen too.  There can be no selecting files or pathways to get or send a feed.  Right now its all there.  Very easy to navigate. 

When you say router based internet stream, do you mean th JCAT card is the router?  Thanks

8 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

One sCLK-EX point would be applied to your LAN/ethernet (both LAN if two) port for clocking of that ethernet stream being received, if not using LAN, skip this clock.  Then you would have 3 points left to apply to other clocks.  I would suggest the system mobo clock, add a tXUSBexp PCIe card and replace clock, mobo usb or external component.  

No changes to OS or software necessary.  Keep what you have.  JCAT is not needed.

It's my understanding that the sCLK-EX also provides noise filtering.  I don't know the details, only a brief comment from May at SOtM.

28 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Sorry for this perhaps silly question, but how does one power an ssd externally and which cable is needed?

It's not a silly question.  I obtained my sata power adapter from SOtM.  Note the black and red cable between the sata filter and the external device PC slot cover in the bottom right of this picture.

1510358477868.thumb.jpg.09382955def99ecf13ce297e8405c129.jpg

27 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Thank you for sharing this picture, very valuable, it is the route I want to take, mostly because of you and Roy’s observations. Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is what I see:

* 1 dc cabling lay-out for tx-usbexp, tx-usbultra and sclk

* 4 points coming out of sclk(ethernet, motherboard, tx-usbultra and tx-usbexp

* txusbexp directly in (mini) PCI lane.

* sata data cable going from mb to sata filter

* modified sata power cable going to sata filter

Note sure where the dc in goes for the tx-usbexp, tx-usbultra and sclk

I guess an usb cable will connect the tx-usbexp to the tx-usb ultra and from there to the dac, but not shown in picture and all goes into 1 case right? (except ultra ofcourse)

My current power application differs slightly from this picture.  It was the best pic I had to show the sata power.  This layout is completely viable, I just eliminated the internal power source from the motherboard.

9v Power comes in from an input on the tX-USBexp.  From that I feed the sCLK-EX which then feeds the tX-USBultra via the blue and white cable.

What's different from the picture is imagine that blue and white cable running to the left plugs directly into the tX-USBexp.

Some other things I changed recently were shorter RF leads once I knew how much length I needed inside the mobo, and a single direct connection via RF lead from the sCLK-EX to the input on the tX-USBultra.  Total length is 6" I think.  That requires the tX-USBultra to be back to back with the PC, but it works for me.  I like short cables.

There is a USB cbale from the tX-USBexp to the tX-USBultra, then another to the DAC.  All goes into one case.  I could probably pull out what's in the tX-USBultra and put that in the case but it

would need some customization and not worth it to me....yet.

Here's a picture from before I made my most recent changes with the shorter RF leads.

20171114_210650.jpg

1 hour ago, tims said:

Hi @Johnseye

From your description of your power supply chain: tX-USBexp > sCLK-EX > txUSBultra, I'm curious if you tried powering the txUSBultra with it's own (good quality PS) and not from the sCLK-EX output.  If so, was there any difference SQ wise?

The reason I ask is that I've had my sotm sMS-1000U player upgraded to an SQ version (with a tx-USBexp and sCLK-EX) and I also got sotm to use one of the sCLK-EX clock points to feed an external tx-USBhubEX that I hope makes it essentially a tx-USBultra.

If I can somehow power the tx-USBhubEX with the output of the sCLK-EX then this will save me a substantial amount buying a LPS-1 or something similar to power the tx-USBhubEX.

Cheers.

The tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX and tX-USBultra all get powered by my Paul Hynes SR7 this way.  It's not going to get better.  Additionally, the sCLK-EX has some of its own filtering so powering the tX-USBultra through the sCLK-EX is optimal and what you get when you buy a standalone version and not broken out like I have.

That said, I could power it from an LPS-1 or now LPS-1.2 but I'd have to buy a new one because it's being used to power my SSD right now.

You should be able to power the USBhub from the sCLK-EX.  You can either go the route I did or probably connect the blue and white cable directly to the USBhub's board.  I think there's a power adapter on it for the cable to connect.

57 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK that assembly is exactly what I need.  Where can I order this online so I can power an internal SSD with external 5V LPS?  I need a DC jack for an LPS-1.  I haven't been able to find something like this googling.

Lots of people seem to do this.  I don't have DIY skills to make it myself.  Thanks.

I would either contact May at SOtM or Crux Audio who are SOtM's US distributor.  You may want to source a cheaper version though.  Mine was $60 and they used stranded copper.  They also sell a different copper version and a silver version for more.

4 hours ago, tims said:

@JohnseyeThanks for this information.

Regarding powering the tx-USBexp the options are: (from an earlier post of yours); internally via the 4 pin IDE Molex at 12v or externally at 9v maximum.  The only thing I don't get is that reading the tx-USBexp operating instructions it states:

"If the tX-USBexp get powered by the external power input, make sure not to cut off the external power

while PC is powered on. If the external power is suddenly cut off, the internal parts of tX-USBexp or PC
will be damaged.....If you connect the IDE power cable inside of PC to the IDE power input connector of tX-USBexp while the tX-USBexp get powered by the external power input, it can prevent the damage of the internal parts of tX-USBexp or PC when the external power suddenly cut off."

(tx-USBexp Operating Instructions)

Is this your understanding?  I don't get how you can power the tx-USBexp externally at 9v and also internally at 12v via the 4 pin Molex connector at the same time?

Cheers

It's one or the other.  Fortunately my tX-USBultra is powered from the same source as the motherboard, which is the 2 rail SR7.  I won't power the card off without the PC powering off.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:45 PM, austinpop said:

My point about chains earlier bears some explanation. I think Roy has already said that by itself, the SE equals, and even slightly betters his custom server in terms of dynamism. But it cannot compete in terms of all the clock-related SQ improvements. The downside for his custom server is (quoting an email snippet):  ...that it requires 5 PSU rails (1 for the mobo, sCLK-EX, tX-USBexp, tX-USBhubIN, SSD) and to devote this many PSU rails to it is a challenge.

So no matter how you slice it, you have spaghetti! In one case:

• SE + tX-USBultra (1 PSU rail)
  • custom server (5 PSU rails)

So it's not a competition to determine "the winner." Some - like me - don't want to mess with building a custom server, and like the simplicity of the SE.

Others really enjoy delving into all the myriad decisions in assembling a custom server:  mobo,  SATA,  drives, USB,  Ethernet, case, connectors, ... the list goes on. Once you start adding in the cost of SR7 rails (or perhaps Sean Jacobs rails), I wonder if there is even a cost advantage. 

What you've determined, with your own particular gear, is that the straight USB solution sounds better than the endpoint.  There could be a myriad of different reasons for this, but similar to what Roy, ElviaCaprice, myself and a few others discovered was that it does sound better.  I'm not discounting the endpoint, because it has a purpose.  If you don't want your server in the vicinity of your other equipment there's a huge benefit.  Likewise, I can put endpoints anywhere in my house.  However, when you're listening for best sound quality, the direct USB approach has an edge.

With regards to using 5 rails to power a server, I think that's a personal preference.  I'm using one rail to power the board, one to power my SOtM cards and another to power the hard drive.  Would I benefit from adding 2 more, maybe but because SOtM allows for the chaining of power through their cards it's the same clean power source.  In fact, the sCLK-EX card filters so there may be an additional gain.  I could get away with powering the SSD through the mobo and bring it down to 2 rails.  At some point I'll run a comparison.  Again, same clean power source, but coming through the mobo to power the SSD which has an SOtM filter on it.

Custom server or SE is another level of comparison.  Both are similar in design and serve the same function, just different hardware.  Just as we discover in all our testing, one will sound better.  No, it's not a competition.  I don't think any of us are competing, only trying to find out if there's something which can improve the sound quality of our music.

10 hours ago, romaz said:

As easy as it is to discern the sound quality differences between a standard Mac Mini and a Zenith SE, the SQ differences among these 4 speakers make the gap between a Mac Mini and the SE sound rather minuscule in comparison.  While I am not in the market to buy speakers in the range of the Alexias, if someone were to offer me a pair of Alexias with the stipulation that I could only use a standard Mac Mini as a source, I would take that deal in a heartbeat and never look back.  In the end, it is still the transducer that has the potential to make the biggest difference.

What I quoted is something to always keep in mind as we dump time and money down other rabbit holes.

I suspect Sean will have his hands full after this exposure.  I'm very tempted to request an ATX PSU.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Don't you already have an SR7 or are you still waiting for yours?

I have an SR7.  The SR7 won't work with an ATX interface unless I use the Pico or HDPlex adapters.  That's something I was trying to avoid.  You also need 3 rails for an ATX interface without the adapter 12v, 5v & 3.3v as well as the ground.

It's give and take.  There may not be a difference between Paul's SR7 with one of the adapters and Sean's.  Like I said, I'm tempted but there's probably better use for the money.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Great.  My SE just arrived an hour ago.  I may need a doctor.

That's the issue with prebuilt equipment.  Unless it's modular, allowing for updates, it will be outdated within a year.  It's an endless cycle in the audiophile world.  That's the main reason I took the build-your-own approach.  I can upgrade any component anytime.

4 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Even mine which is modular could be scrapped at 2 years.  The case has improved as well as Incorporating a new mother board that only uses 6 Watts.  But, I still have jaw hits the floor amazing  digital playback.  Yes It is getting better but hey, my digital blows my $7000 analog out of the water.  No contest. 

I still listen to vinyl all the time.  Different sound.  I prefer listening to jazz on vinyl and classical on digital.  Classical music gets so quiet and well recorded and pressed vinyl that gets that quiet is rare.  I like pre 80's rock on vinyl, post digital with exceptions.  Often times it depends on the recording or pressing itself and not the year or genre.

20 minutes ago, rickca said:

I agree and I bought the SE with my eyes open.  Whenever you buy a ready-made product, a prototype of an even more advanced model is already in development in the lab.  Even a newly launched product reflects component selection and design decisions that were made well before it was even announced.  

I have two systems, and I want at least one that is a well designed turnkey solution that is supported by the vendor.  I can always have a second server that I build myself for experimentation with the latest technology.  I don't have the DIY skills to keep pace with the discoveries that users here so generously share.  I find it exciting to learn what I can by following along and selectively implementing things I know I can manage.  

Nothing wrong with either approach.  I just like the flexibility when I can manage it.  There are some guys out there who build everything themselves.  I can't do that.  Computers are one thing, speakers, DACs, etc are another.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

We use to make something like this. It was a full blown Sonore Music Server running Vortexbox with an optional output card (USB, SPDIF/Analog, AES/EBU, or i2s) They had a miniBox ATX or straight power, or a combination of the two. They were fanless and the drives had vibration isolation with filters. We had a single external power supply brick or external upgrade power supply made from a Daitron module. Then towards the end of the series we made a dual output power supply called Duex which had a linear supply for the output card and a Daitron module for the mainboard. They sounded great, but the Rendu series is better sounding, less parts, smaller, and much less expense. This was circa 2014 so no USB circuit design from John S or on board linear regulation feeding all the circuits and oscillators:) 

Here is a picture of the stack:  

Unknown.jpg

While the endpoint is a great idea, you still need a host server. If you guys could make something simple to run Roon Core I'd be interested. 

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

John, we have that already;) It's called sonicTransporter and it's made by Small Green Computer. We are hardware and software partners with them, but I don't make any money on the servers. sonicTransporter runs a version of Sonicorbiter that is setup for server duties. It can be a Roon server, DLNA server, Logitech Media Server, etc. Its very similar in look and feel to Sonicorbiter running on the micro/ultraRendu and meant to be complimentary. The are reasonably priced, include support, and are turnkey. 

Also, I would say that endpoints need "server software" running on any computer or NAS. The point is you don't need a dedicated music server. There are also people just streaming via Tidal or Quboz and in that case neither computer or NAS is needed.        

How can I say this...the sonicTransporter isn't as good as it could be?  I think the hardware side of it is too easily duplicated and not as well designed as the Rendu.

2 hours ago, rickca said:

OK but that doesn't answer my question.  Sure, there may be alternatives that sound as good as the Supermicro.  The question is why are some motherboards less noisy than others?

Is it the VRM?  Is it the layout?  Is it the PDN?  

I'm going to take a guess in that it's a combination of things with the layout, caps & regs having the most impact.  Just a guess though.  A communication with DFI, Supermicro or Jetway may answer that.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

They should sound the same. Also, the controllers does is tell the renderer what to play. The renderer is actually playing the content.

What does "playing the content" mean exactly?  At that point it's still a digital stream, not analog.  I always wondered exactly what the renderer does.

32 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

It’s the player in the digital loop. For example...It takes content in FLAC format and outputs PCM. The controller is the director telling the server what file to offer up to the renderer to play.

But it's the Roon Core/server/controller that applies the DSP or does the upsampling.  Same with HQPlayer.  So it does that while still in FLAC format?  I don't see how that's possible.  I thought it was the server that converts it from FLAC to PCM or DSD.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

people reading this should know that if they use a Supermicro board for a Roon server that it will be short on performance. Roon recommends:

• Intel Core i3, Ivy Bridge+
  • 4GB RAM
  • SSD boot drive
  • 1440 x 900 Resolution

I can tell you from speaking with Andrew that he recommends an i5 at minimum and prefers an i7. The difference being that you want an i7 with a large music collection and with DSP. His i7 is only 11 watts so nothing to obsess over regarding noise. Professional use could mean better parts or longer runs, or any number of things.

As for the noisy DC-DC converter there is no free lunch you now have those right on the board. And if you use the 4 pin power source input and an ATX power source you will have 2x the number of noisy DC-DC converter:) 

Also, you said that the tX-USBexp does not draw current form the motherboard. You might want to double check this with SOtM. I asked them about this a long time ago, but I can't remember with certainty what they said. 

I've used an i7 dumbed down to 800mhz with no problem. I've used a Celeron with no problem. Upsampling and DSP have no issues. 

I'm sure the 1440 x 900 resolution is critical however. 

13 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

DSP aside it takes a ton of time/HP to sort out large collections. During this process we get reports of strange things happening. Andrew at SGC knows more about than I do and has had extensive chats with Roon on the subject. 

Specifically when doing an "Audio Analysis" in Roon on a lesser processor it takes a very very long time.  Otherwise it's all equal.

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

There is a control to slow or speed up the audio analysis speed in Roon. It has immediate impact on performance.

Yes thanks, I've used it.  It does speed things up, but analysis is still much longer with a Celeron vs i7.  This is really not an issue though as analysis only takes place when adding content or rebuilding a PC and restoring a library backup.