IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

While this might be true for some products, but for etherRegen, according to the designer, it is not the case.  JS stated last year (below) almost no heat difference in relation to the range of input voltages, and my actual measurements between 7V and 12V input voltage show 104~106 degree F (40.0~41.1 degree C).

Clearly., you do  not have a problem like some, as 40.0~41.1 degree C is quite a low temperature (comfortably warm)  for most electronic devices You also need to take into account the Ambient Temperature at different locations.

Unless it uses internal switching voltage regulators, then it should run noticeably warmer at the higher voltage unless it is in a well ventilated or Air Conditioned area when it is drawing >1A, even if the current draw is a little less at 12V.

7V at >1A is quite a bit of heat to dissipate in a small case (>7W)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

58 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

I really did take good care of my ssd

- they were the best Samsung pro 

- power was with a dedicated 5v psu mpaudio lt 3045 with good shielded diy psu cable 

- sata cable was the excellent Pachanko pure reference which is heavily shielded 

- the case of the ssd was attached to a heavy aluminium bloc as I did found it sounded better like that , however the case was not grounded as you recommend .

Even with all that hdd was better and no specific care for the hdd ( usb powered and ordinary usb cable ) 

Thank’s for the interesting attached document .

Altogether sata on mobo is also an EMI nest and noisy. I have totally disable sata on my demat pc’s with great sq results .

At the suggestion of one and a half (Gary) recently, I made sure that the cases of my internal Samsung 860 Evo ( OS SSD) and 850 Music SSD had a VERY low measured voltage drop between their cases and 0 volts at the SMPS PSU itself when switched on.

As Gary found, doing this did result in an appreciable improvement in  apparent noise and Soundstage. even though both were powered by in my case , dual <4uV noise +5V supplies regulated down from the internal +12V supply

BTW, the typical LT3045 implementation does have a decreasing output impedance at >100kHz and may result in a little harshness /added HF detail due to this. Ideally it would also have a parallel considerably higher value NON Low ESR capacitor at it's output for this reason.

Dual +5V PSU for 2 SSDs.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

I’ve already asked the electrician to come back & add few more rods/spikes to get the 25ohms down to say 5 ohms. He’s thinking off creating a pit for each rod/spike to add magnesium sulfar, which will help with moisture/soil condition. 

You sre unlikely to be able to achieve that low a resistance without a special grid as often used by Radio Amateurs and in Telephone Exchanges etc. Even then, that can be difficult in rocky areas.as we found in French's Forest Telephone Exchange in Sydney when we needed to upgrade the earthing. The additional earthing should also be on the side of the house that gets the least sun.

Alex

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, jbparrish said:

if I mount an Intel Optane ssd in a housing and connect it by USB to my NUC, i.e. as an external drive, have I lost all of that Optane goodness because of the USB circuitry?

YES !

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/products/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/consumer-ssds/optane-ssd-9-series.html

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2021 at 4:48 AM, Middy said:

Theres 2 free tips you can do then on your gear...a little bit of silicone around network ports for anti vibration and desolder noisey but useful LEDs.. courtesy of innuos..

Modern  LEDs are not noisy, unless they are multiplexed as in frequency displays etc. It is possible though that if the power supply itself is noisy, that  there may be a small amount of radiation from the leads powering the LEDs .

LEDs are often used as  low noise voltage references in Amplifiers etc.  with voltages typically varying from around 1.5V to 3.3V depending on their colour and materials used in their construction.

2 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

See Nuno's post in link below which clarifies why he thinks the inclusion of LEDs can be noisy.

That's not what you said in your reply.

LEDs are not inherently noisy, so LEDs when drawing a continuous fixed current from a non noisy D.C.  power supply, such as an indicator LED powered via a suitable resistance value do not generate any readily measured noise .

In fact, you will see a LED used as a voltage reference used in the ultra Low Noise Jung Voltage Regulator

Low Noise Walt Jung Voltage Regulator.jpg

Just now, MarcelNL said:

great info! Nice, so that is one worry less if the power supplied to the LEDs is clean (meaning no PWM)

If Walt Jung is using them it's fine for me too...I have him in high regard!

Some interesting info in the link I just added.

Regards

Alex