IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

16 hours ago, lmitche said:

Finally done with this "mother of all DC cables" mod. Two hours in, sq has taken another leap. More then worth the purchase of $60 of Molex tooling. It will curious to hear what the next 48 hours brings.

Thanks to Rajiv for the idea!

20180715_171957.jpg

Just wondering how you got those wires to fit the Molex pins - are they special pins or did you thin out the wires before soldering?

I made a single Canare quadstar cable with 2 Pin Molex and had to thin out the wire pairs to get them crimped in the pin. Cant imagine attaching 2 pairs to 1 pin.

TIA!

5 minutes ago, lmitche said:

That's an 8 pin molex connector so it is a one to one wire to pin ratio with the Gotham cable

Ok thanks, that makes sense. A quick look at the pic made me think it was 2 pin. Is there another way or an adapter to use 4 wires to a 2 pin Molex male plug or just thin out the wire?

13 hours ago, sandyk said:

and that of our nearby neighbours is causing.(including Solar Inverters etc.)

Huh!?

My AC unit is outside my listening room, probably 15ft from my gear (through a exterior wood wall) which I can shut off when I'm listening. However last year my neighbors installed solar panels and the wiring comes down this same side with inverter on the inside of the opposing wall, say 24ft away.  Is this likely to have an impact? Is there a simple shield I can make against my exterior wall - it's a blind side no one sees anyway ?

19 hours ago, d_elm said:

I have found aluminum foil will block radiation from a cordless phone.    I use a Comet ED88T multi-band meter to investigate radiation from house wiring and devices.

Wonder if you can rent those devices. 

I guess the point is their solar inverter is injecting dirty power into my neighbourhoods power lines. I recollect calling in our utility to test some power dips we thought we were having and he was not a fan of solar, especially in Canada. I always assumed we have clean hydro power in our suburban area.

I'm still scratching my head about the use of JSSG360 on cables and the improvements people are experiencing has little to do with noise in the mains, but something going on in the room. Indoor cross contamination, outside from the neighbours inverter, or both..... ?

• 2 weeks later...

What's the best insulation material between shields for JSSG360 mods?

I've mostly used plumbers Teflon Tape, Orange T is nice to work with. However I need to do a 10ft ethernet cable and this would be tedious with teflon tape. Vinyl electricians tape is probably the easiest, maybe adds a bit of extra bulk. Heat shrink seems like it would be too stiff. Any other suggestions.

Also, I've used 3/8 tinned copper braid from ebay sellers acdcwireandsupply and electriduct. The product from ACDC Wire is a heavier, tighter weave, much easier to work with and never snags or kinks - highly recommended.

4 hours ago, look&listen said:

IIRC, dries out with age, heat, become horrible to clean off.

Rubber is a natural compound that won't dry out AFAIK.

It's a very good insulator, resistant to moisture, chemicals and is flexible/elastic. I bought a roll of 3M Super 33+ as well. It's PVC and has super strong adhesive, but I still think the rubber/cotton tape will give me a more flexible cable. It's not really exposed to any extreme environmental conditions.

Seemed  the choice of natural products between the shields made some sense. Can't hurt to try I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...