IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

I enjoy reading this thread as I may be using a similar topology.

Stay tuned.

53 minutes ago, austinpop said:

If you have any burning questions, let me know, and I'll consider adding it to the list.

I can't wait to hear your impressions of the SMS-200 (modded to Ultra) followed by the tX-USBultra.

I have ordered a SMS-200 Ultra and may also order a tX-USBultra.

Other option may be to have SoTM mod a Regen ISO with one clock from the SMS-200 Ultra.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

56 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Patience! :D

It will be worth the wait.  It is clear from previous posts that romaz, you and others in this thread are giving us honest reports of what you are hearing.  

57 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Sorry - not an option. May has mentioned to me that they don't mod other audio manufacturers' equipment.

Disappointing but I can understand their reasoning for this policy.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

• 4 weeks later...

May quoted me an extra £30 in the UK to have a SMS-200 Ultra built without the first regulator.

I'm still undecided if I should update my order or just leave it at 12V, I will be powering it with a PH SR7MR4XL.

3 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

They should have quoted you less since they save cost on material and labor.

:) I also think the Ultra version should come with the Master Clock connector as standard not $200 extra.

I don't understand how that option costs so much.

20 minutes ago, rickca said:

It's a smart move for SOtM because it positions their customers to buy their upcoming master clock.  Maybe you can negotiate a better deal on your order.

Like I said in an earlier post they should have included the master clock connector for customers buying the Ultra products.  I'm sure their master clock will cost north of $2K and they would have sold a lot more when the connector was already installed.

I purchased a SMS-200 Ultra and was going to purchase the whole Romaz chain and probably the master clock when it is released.  The fact they were charging $200 per device for a little cable and connectors stopped me pulling the trigger. :)  It is probably possible to buy a cable / connector and self install for a fraction of this amount.

The prices for using the extra clocks seems fair to me but not the master clock option.

21 minutes ago, rickca said:

Well, I'm kind of questioning that as well.  Here's what I asked May

Found this on their website, it looks out of date but shows how they price the clocks.

Pricing and Availability You can easily reach to the completely new sound stage by a single sCLK-EX clock module. There is a cost difference depending on how many outputs you are able to enable, - 1 sCLK-EX output, the cost is US$700. - 2 sCLK-EX outputs, the cost is US$750 - 3 sCLK-EX outputs, the cost is US$800 - 4 sCLK-EX outputs, the cost is US$850 - Extra cost for Master clock option, the cost is US$150 - Extra cost required if you request us or a shop to modify your current system to work with sCLKEX. Min.US$25 per a point will be required

10 minutes ago, rickca said:

Yes, you need to do some more research.

Us buyers in the UK then end up having the $ sign changed to £.  The dealers don't convert the currency so we end up paying even more.

I think my interest in further SoTM products is near an end :)

I'm sure SoTM probably have to do something to activate the master clock input.  I can borrow a master clock so it is worth trying.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

was really dismayed to read reports about the fluctuating and increasing prices

I pre-ordered a SMS-200 Ultra without the master clock.   I would need to pay another £200 ($257.90) to add the MC.

It would have been a lot cheaper for me to purchase a new SMS-200 and pay the $900 to upgrade to the Ultra with master clock.

Their crazy pricing has put me off buying the other items I had planned to complete the Romaz chain.  I could have easily spent another £4K or £5K on their products including the MC when it is released. 

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I've said it before and I'll say again - if anyone is willing to lend me an ISO-R for a few days, I'll be happy to try this in my system and report back my impressions.

I could purchase a ISO-Regen with LPS-1 bundle and have it delivered to your address if Superdad allows that.

I could transfer enough funds to you to cover shipping to me in UK once you are finished testing.  That way you could keep it for 3 or 4 weeks.

34 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I gather Alex has blessed this enterprise, and an order has been suitably placed in the system.

Alex replied within 15 minutes and the order was placed.  I'm looking forward to your test reports.

1 minute ago, limniscate said:

@austinpop

Does this mean I'll get to hear the ISO-Regen in my system as well?

I'm in no hurry for it so austinpop can let anyone he knows keep it for a while.

23 hours ago, austinpop said:

I am stoked. Barring any last-minute conflicts, @limniscate and I are getting together next week for an SOtM Ultra-vaganza! 

I'm looking forward to your findings with the various chains, wish I could be there to hear them.

I've had the sMS-200 Ultra and tX-USBultra in my system for a few days now.

9 hours ago, greenleo said:

Do you like the ultra combo?  Which is the master?

I haven't sent either to SOtM to use the extra clocks.  I think I need to invest in higher end power supplies because the SOtM Ultra combo doesn't sound any better than the mRendu/Recovery combo so far.

34 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Do you mean your txUSBUltra is an stand alone version that has the super clock on its own and the same applies to the sms200Ultra as well?

Yes they are both Ultra with their own sCLK-EX clock module.  So I have 2 spare clocks in the sMS-200ultra and 3 spare in the tX-USBultra.  I had plans for these spare clocks but that is now on hold.  I need to upgrade my power supplies before deciding to go further with the SOtM chain.

22 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Now I see the Recovery (RUR) is the Wyred4Sound device.  Wasn't aware of this reclocker.

Yes the RUR, my mRendu is still on v2.4.  I didn't bother upgrading knowing I would be replacing it with the SotM or possibly the uRendu.

The SotM combo is more detailed but not natural sounding at this stage.

My 12v power supplies are all low end Teddy Pardo 12/2, McRU 12V and a Zero Zone 12V, at least compared to Romaz's PHs.

My intention was to order 4 x Paul Hynes SR7DRXLs.  I had already ordered and paid for 1 x SR7DRXL to test before committing to a further 3.

The snag was that I wanted a black chassis to match everything else in my rack as due to the size they aren't easily hidden away.  Paul told me that his chassis supplier has to send the original aluminium chassis away for re-anodising with the black finish.  I was prepared to wait 2 or 3 months but feared my request for a black chassis may push this back further.  Paul was kind enough to cancel my order as he hadn't ordered any parts so it had cost him nothing.

So I'm researching other power supplies so I can get the best from the SotM chain.  Ideally, I'd like to have a good power supply in place within a few weeks.

@austinpop and @limniscate have enough SOtM kit between them to test most combinations.  I think they will have more clocks in the chain than even Romaz :)

I did get Alex to send an ISO Regen (LPS-1) so they could test this in their chain.

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

To complete the picture, what power supplies are you using with the mR and Recovery?

I have used both a LPS-1 (7v) and the a Zero Zone (7v) with iFi DC iPurifier for the mR.  I couldn't hear a difference between these on the mR.  The RuR is running on a (9v) battery.

Did your SoTM kit need time to burn in?

I've probably used mine for 10 hours so far.

3 minutes ago, greenleo said:

I suppose a 200Ultra powered by LPS-1 with SQ should be better than your mR+RUR combo.  Have u tried that?

My sMS-200ultra is a 12v version.  I would have to wired 2 x LPS-1s in series and while I could do that for testing, I wouldn't want that solution long term.

I have just changed the DC power cable from the original silver one to a shorter Ghent Qyaide Canare 4S8 DC and it has made a difference.  There is more detail with the SoTM combo so once I sort out good power I think I will be happy.

8 minutes ago, limniscate said:

It has begun!

It's a mess!

I hope you don't find having all these devices in the chain at once is amazing :) 

1 hour ago, AmusedToD said:

I already asked SOTM about modding the SU-1 and they said no.

I got the same response a few months ago.

I’m willing to purchase a SoTM sCLK-EX and a Singxer SU-1 if we can find someone in the UK with the skills to fit it.  I will also email Leter at Singxer to see if he will fit one.

11 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

1. Mod to accept DC power cable from LPS-1  (I've done this via the Kitsune kit and it really makes a big difference)

This is the only upgrade I could perform and will leave the others to an expert :)

13 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

PM me if you find anyone. I'll do likewise.

Will do, thanks BigAlMc

I might even have them swap the Crystek on an ISO Regen.  It would be interesting to have all the options capable of using the Mutec Ref 10.

7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think you will have to ask Singxer.

Actually I've asked Ghent if he could do a deal with them

I've emailed Leter, if he can't help I may ask Ghent.

Leter from Singxer responded they won't perform any mods.