IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

I have a microRendu today with Uptone LPS-1. But after reading much on this thread about SotM products and their clocks I took the plunge and ordered both sms-200 ultra and tx-usb ultra.

My plan is to power the sms-200 set to 12 volt from a HD plex 200w and the tx-usb ultra with the uptone LPS-1. Could I even power boths of them with the LPS-1 if they are set to 6-9v default?

I would also need a new short USB cable between the SotM products.

What do you guys recommend there?

Regards Magnus

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

I am using 2 LPS-1s, each set to 7v - 1 powering the modded switch and modded sMS-200, and 1 powering the tX-USBultra.

As part of my troubleshooting for the streaming pause problem I detailed in earlier posts, I had occasion to swap the LPS-1 with my HDPlex-100 to power the tX-USBultra, and I felt the SQ took a significant hit.

So I highly recommend powering each of the sMS-200ultra and the tX-USBultra with their own LPS-1, set to 7V. But make sure you order both Ultra units with the stock voltage option (6.5-9V), not the 12V option.

You will not be able to power both with a single LPS-1 - the current demands will exceed 1.1A.

Finally - a caveat. No one has yet received an sMS-200ultra and actually verified that it works within the capacity of an LPS-1. What I have, like @romaz, is a modded sMS-200, which is not the same thing.

That's a matter of opinion. I have been very happy with the short 0.2m Curious cables, but I'm sure others will have recommendations.

I felt the Curious outperformed the 2 other cables in my possession - the Cardas Clear USB, and the dual-headed Lightspeed 2G, but to be fair, both of these are 2m, and the length may be an issue for SQ.

p *§ pu6nhluö  pp'

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

50 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Interesting! :D

Sorry about that!:$ Twas my 1 year old daugther trying to say. Dad I don`t like you sitting so much at the computer. Its my turn now...:D

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

I am using 2 LPS-1s, each set to 7v - 1 powering the modded switch and modded sMS-200, and 1 powering the tX-USBultra.

As part of my troubleshooting for the streaming pause problem I detailed in earlier posts, I had occasion to swap the LPS-1 with my HDPlex-100 to power the tX-USBultra, and I felt the SQ took a significant hit.

So I highly recommend powering each of the sMS-200ultra and the tX-USBultra with their own LPS-1, set to 7V. But make sure you order both Ultra units with the stock voltage option (6.5-9V), not the 12V option.

You will not be able to power both with a single LPS-1 - the current demands will exceed 1.1A.

Finally - a caveat. No one has yet received an sMS-200ultra and actually verified that it works within the capacity of an LPS-1. What I have, like @romaz, is a modded sMS-200, which is not the same thing.

That's a matter of opinion. I have been very happy with the short 0.2m Curious cables, but I'm sure others will have recommendations.

I felt the Curious outperformed the 2 other cables in my possession - the Cardas Clear USB, and the dual-headed Lightspeed 2G, but to be fair, both of these are 2m, and the length may be an issue for SQ.

Its me again, she"s asleep now....quick reply now..

Thanks Austinpop for your reply.

I read the fine review at audiostream and he put the best powersupply on the tx-usb ultra wich seems logic. The question is though if my HD plex is not good enough. I have not heard the previous HD plex 100 w and mine is the upgraded new version they ve jus released.  It sounds actually pretty good. On par with my Teddy pardo. Why would you not recommend the 12 v option on the sms Ultra?

Regards Magnus

I have made a preorder for boths sms-200 Ultra AND the tx-usb ultra. Just after reading on this fine forum.

I have not been able to follow all thats been said when it comes to the different clocking options and outputs/taps and so on. One reason is It seems a bit too much tinkering and DIY- not for me.

BUT now on the other hand I could add 300 usd to my order and get the modded switch as well. Do you think I should go for it? Does anybody know how many ports on the switch I would get for example? What would I gain SQ wise?

I use a 3G/4G router from ASUS that is like a combined router/switch. In my potential new setup would this ASUS router also benefit from having a upgraded clock?

ASUS AC 68 Router ----  modded switch sotm----  SMS-200 Ultra ---- tx-usb ultra ----- Vinnie Rossi Lio DAC

My server is this one from Audiostore UK ( Vortexbox UK) http://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Audiostore_Prestige_2/p317978_16932231.aspx

Unfortuneately it seems not that I can use it in bridged mode as it is now

Thanks !!:)

Magnus

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Received my sms-200 ultra today and tx-usb ultra.

A quickl listening to only the sms-200 ultra  ( powered with 12v  HD plex 200) and WOW I can`t believe how much better it is than my microRendu with LPS-1.

Its pure music to my ears even from cold.

Look forward to go slowly in steps and after a couple of days add the tx-usb ultra in the chain.

Thanks May and Crux audio for a smoth a quick delivery.

Regards Magnus

5 hours ago, k-man said:

Was it possible for the SMS-200 ultra to be powered by LPS-1, or was it the optimum to have it powered by HD plex? (Or maybe its reserved for the tx-USB ultra :rolleyes:). Plenty to play with B|

Hi k-man,

I choose the 12 volt version for the sms-200 just because It is supposedly sounds a litte better. And yes you are correct the uptone LPS-1 will power the tx-USB ultra. 

My Hd plex 200 is a new updated design compared to the original and it sounds very good actually.

22 hours ago, Bamber said:

I have used both a LPS-1 (7v) and the a Zero Zone (7v) with iFi DC iPurifier for the mR.  I couldn't hear a difference between these on the mR.  The RuR is running on a (9v) battery.

Did your SoTM kit need time to burn in?

I've probably used mine for 10 hours so far.

Hi Bamber,

I emailed Sotm about burn in. I have the sms-200 ultra and tx-usb ultra since almost 2 weeks now. 

May Park told me that all sotm products need 1 months to fully burn in. The two first weeks one can hear different performance from the units as often as 2-3 hours in between. After two weeks they have settled more. I can agree to this, It is very much so. For me the sms-200 ultra was a clear improvement even from cold compared to mR.

So for all fair comparisions to be made make sure all units are burnt in as much as possible:)

Regards Magnus

Thanks for the write up. Have enyojed the ISO Regen/LPS -1 bundle a couple of days combined with soTm sms 200 ultra and TX USB Ultra , it is a large jump in SQ. I don`t have the clocked switch though. Feeding the internal DAC in my Vinnie Rossi integrated LIO amp.

No Lushcable but 2 very good USB cables from Triode Wire Labs TWL, ( Strange that these are not seen here more often) They are perhaps more famous for their powercables. 

Just now, Always.Learning said:

Have you experimented with placement of the Iso Regen?

No, I followed Austinpop and mozes recommendations in the mighty " massive " thread. Check out the index and read all about it If you have missed that.:D

22 minutes ago, Always.Learning said:

I thought Rajiv and mozes differed in their opinion on where to best place the IR, with Rajiv voting for between the sMS-200 and tX-USB (where I think it sounds best too) and mozes voting for right before the DAC. But I may not be recalling that correctly. 

No It could be me who got it wrong. I may got a feeling that the more general opinion though  was in favour of our position in between the two

47 minutes ago, Always.Learning said:

I already posted this in my separate thread on customer service problems with Paul Hynes, but I did hear from him a few days ago for the first time in over five months. Apparently my PSU will be shipping within a week or so. Yay! As I said in the other thread, I have never questioned Paul's good faith but I do question his attention to customer service. That said, you can probably count on a world class PSU as long as you are willing to wait a very long time, pay lots of $ up front, and live with spotty (at best) communication. I will report back when the PSU gets here. 

Glad you seem to receive it soon after long wait.

May I ask what Hynes version this is and what you will power?

I have been in contact with PH myself discussing a SR5 M2 powering boths my sotm sms-200 and my 19 v audioserver,

Nothing descided yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I´m on the fence of also getting a audiophile switch. 

I have today a 3G router/switch with 5 ports. I wonder how important would adding another switch be

when I have a 3G router that is not connected to a wired ethernet. 

IF I would need a switch I have been thinking about 3 different scenarios. I already have a LPS-1 to power it.

One obvious move would be sending a TX-usb ultra to sotM and have it modified there, 

I could also choose either the AQVOX switch 8  or the newly updated switch8 SE model with a supposed superior SQ and doubled the price , http://www.myhifishop.de/Devices/AQ-SWITCH-SE-Audiophile-High-End-Network-Switch-audio-LAN-isolat::87.html?language=en

The soTm modified switch features a really good clock but the new SE seems to have a good clock and more goodies built in.

Thanks

Magnus

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, flkin said:

Wow, thanks for your compliment, this is my first attempt, was trying not to come across as too much fluff and not enough data while remaining entertaining. :)

In my particular setup, I've tried to get the renderer and cleaning side well setup so it would require a less optimised server. Looks like this approach works, but it seems there is still benefit to a better server. I probably wouldn't spend on an Antipodes for the server but a little server work may go a long way to getting that additional benefit I heard during our tests. 

Agreed, cascading cleaning devices seems to be beneficial so long as the distortions from cable connections or additional power supplies (what yet another one?!) don't make the overall worse. That's something to consider too I suppose.

My Vinnie Rossi DAC 2.0 uses the AKM AK4497EQ chip has a zero filtering setting and allows the chip to read and play what was sent to it verbatim. And from Roon, I have found that zero upscaling sounds the most natural and offers the largest soundscape in all cases. I have tried both Roon upscaling and HQPlayer with all their myriad of settings. Ultimately I still prefer to play the files as they come. Re-clocking is a good way to get the effect of upscaling - I find similar benefits of focusing the sound but doesn't make the images thinner nor shrink the soundscape while doing so.

Thank you @austinpop for your kind comments. :)

We were having trouble getting the Antipodes to connect to the VR DAC2.0 and in order to proceed we had to pass the signal through the MC3+ for the connection. This made it necessary to follow the same route to continue the comparisons. In test (3), I did a direct Mac/Trifecta tx-USBultra connection to the DAC via a Lush USB and found the sound to be as good as the Antipodes/MC3+ connected via the Digiflex Gold II coax. Actually even better until a cable swap improved the Antipodes and matched the SOtM equipment. Perhaps I should revisit this and see if I can get the MC3+ connected to the DAC2.0 via USB and listen again. I'll have to ask Khun Aek @Kritpoon for help with this as I'm not familiar how the MC3+ settings work. Also I should try just this with more tracks as our comparisons only used a single one due to time constraints.

Look forward to reading your findings about the Ref10 vs OP14. For us it was a clear step up from what was already a good place. But at double the price it's as it should be.

I did try using the Habst 75ohm cable from Ref10@75ohm to the tx-USBultra and guess what, it works fine! Didn't connect the ground connector and only used the signal one. And sounded fine too, better than the standard Cybershaft black cable. More refined and clearer placements of instruments and a touch more width to the stage. I wonder if one can hear that much difference between 50 and 75ohm cables? But for sure there is a large difference between the Habst (0.5m) and the Pasternack RG216 (36 inches). Unfortunate but true.

As for how a Paul Hynes would affect the Trifecta - and I'm of the opinion it will drastically, well I can answer that in about 6-8 months if I'm lucky... :D  queue #29

Thanks for your comments. 

Kin

Hello!  Many thanks for your write up and  testing! 

I also use the VR Lio with DAC 2.0 and am a little concerned that it would not see the Antipodes DX-3. I am now using the sotM sms-200 ultra with Iso Regen direct to the DAC. My hope was to be able to slim down the nr of boxes and was thinking of the new Antipodes EX acting as the renderer. My current server will also be used with the new direct ethernet connection.  Making it a kind of budget CX-EX solution.

Wonder why Antipodes seem to focus on noise everywhere and starting on the MOBO - no advanced clocking there. It seems that they are working hard to remove noise before at its core and therefore minimising the need of better clocking but this is my own thinking.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Nenon,

Some brilliant posts as usual.

Question for you or any of the gang. What is the correct terminology if I wanted to order the components and either man up and assemble myself or try to persuade the likes of Mr Ghent to build.

Motherboard jumper lead?

Motherboard power connector? 

etc.

Cheers,

Alan

PS

Yup, Freddy Krueger stuff here! 😉

Alan, would you really need the Buffaloswitch? I mean etherregen an Optical module is already providing enough isolation. It works for me. On the other hand I have not compared with adding additional switches to the chain. What do I know?? 🙄

• 4 weeks later...

Coming back to the IKEA Aptitlig chopping board. I bought one the other day and cut it in half. To use them for Entreq earth boxes. There was also some material left of the board to make 6 feet. See picture.

Would it be a better choice in using like Herbie´s tenderfeet (or other ) under each? Have not experimented with other feet yet!

They are placed on the floor. Entreq earth boxes should be placed away from metal. 

Thanks //Magnus

IMG_20200720_192915.jpg

16 hours ago, sandyk said:

Why ?

Sorry I can´t say why from a tech point of view. This comes from the manual. 

22 hours ago, magnuska said:

Coming back to the IKEA Aptitlig chopping board. I bought one the other day and cut it in half. To use them for Entreq earth boxes. There was also some material left of the board to make 6 feet. See picture.

Would it be a better choice in using like Herbie´s tenderfeet (or other ) under each? Have not experimented with other feet yet!

They are placed on the floor. Entreq earth boxes should be placed away from metal. 

Thanks //Magnus

IMG_20200720_192915.jpg

I have good experiences with the Iso acoustic Gaia feet for my speakers so I ordered a set of Iso puck mini also from Iso acoustic.