IGNORED

Nutcracker - SACD or Download?

Jud

The holiday season got me thinking about The Nutcracker, and I've decided I'd like to own this old warhorse. I'm pretty well settled on the Gergiev/Mariinsky containing The Nutcracker and Symphony No. 4. (TCHAIKOVSKY The Nutcracker, Symphony No 4 – The Mariinsky Label)

My question is whether to download the recording in 24/96 resolution from Mariinsky or buy the SACD. There is lots of Gergiev/Mariinsky material on NativeDSD, but not this. Does that mean it was not natively recorded in DSD, but in 24/96, then transferred to SACD? Or was the DSD content on the SACD the original, and the 24/96 from Mariinsky the conversion? Anyone have any idea?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud, while you mention you're pretty well settled on the new Gegiev recording, let me throw the absolutely brilliant version by Simon Rattle in the mix.

http://tidal.com/album/11211588

https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/12/07/the-nutcracker-or-why-i-sometimes-do-like-tchaikovsky/

I've tried the new Gergiev several times (and also his older 1990 version) and to my ears Rattle still clearly wins.

The only issue for the Rattle is to find a good highres source. It has been released as SACD in Japan, but apparently there have been rumors that this could be an upsampled redbook (although others say the SACD has been sourced from a 24/44 master).

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPGS-50016

I have the CD version (as found on Tidal) which sounds very good in any case (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/100719)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I have the SACD and it's superb. I bought primarily for the Tchaikovsksy 4. About the best SQ I've ever heard, which prompted me to explore other Mariinsky recordings -all similarly excellent so far. Fairly sure all Mariinsky label are DSD recordings. Don't think you'll be disappointed with the double SACD and all for £12 in the UK.

While for DSD recordings, the logical PCM conversion would be 24/88, some labels like Pentatone sell them as 24/96. I don't know why.

About the Rattle recordings:

The only issue for the Rattle is to find a good highres source. It has been released as SACD in Japan, but apparently there have been rumors that this could be an upsampled redbook (although others say the SACD has been sourced from a 24/44 master).

CDJapan : Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker [Limited Release] [sACD Hybrid] Simon Rattle (conductor) SACD

Most of the Rattle EMI/Warner recordings are offered as 24/44 downloads, which could mean they were recorded in 24/44 or it was decided not to sell a download in the full recording resolution. I don't think they would upsample a CD. That seems too unprofessional for a label which owns the master.

I ripped two Rattle EMI SACDs (Schoenberg, Holst, both released in Japan) and the spectrum analysis (of a 24/88 file converted from the DSD rip) shows no frequencies above 22kHz, so this suggests the recording (or the mastering) was made in 24/44kHz.

IMHO, the Rattle/BPO recordings made for EMI/Warner that I've heard (not the Nutcracker) sound merely OK, so I wouldn't bother with the various hi-rez options.

Claude

While for DSD recordings, the logical PCM conversion would be 24/88, some labels like Pentatone sell them as 24/96. I don't know why.

About the Rattle recordings:

Most of the Rattle EMI/Warner recordings are offered as 24/44 downloads, which could mean they were recorded in 24/44 or it was decided not to sell a download in the full recording resolution. I don't think they would upsample a CD. That seems too unprofessional for a label which owns the master.

I ripped two Rattle EMI SACDs (Schoenberg, Holst, both released in Japan) and the spectrum analysis (of a 24/88 file converted from the DSD rip) shows no frequencies above 22kHz, so this suggests the recording (or the mastering) was made in 24/44kHz.

IMHO, the Rattle/BPO recordings made for EMI/Warner that I've heard (not the Nutcracker) sound merely OK, so I wouldn't bother with the various hi-rez options.

Thanks for the insights on the Rattle, and I share your assumptions.

I also agree that the new Marinsky sounds better than the BPO. However I find the interpretation of Gergiev occasionally a bit "dry". With Rattle, I get the full CinemaScope experience.

I have the SACD and it's superb. I bought primarily for the Tchaikovsksy 4. About the best SQ I've ever heard, which prompted me to explore other Mariinsky recordings -all similarly excellent so far. Fairly sure all Mariinsky label are DSD recordings. Don't think you'll be disappointed with the double SACD and all for £12 in the UK.

Thanks, Norton, much appreciated. Ordered from Presto Classical.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks for the insights on the Rattle, and I share your assumptions.

I also agree that the new Marinsky sounds better than the BPO. However I find the interpretation of Gergiev occasionally a bit "dry". With Rattle, I get the full CinemaScope experience.

I agree about the CinemaScope, but for some reason I'm seldom drawn to that sort of sound.

I have the SACDs and it clearly states that both The Nutcracker and the symphony were recorded in DSD.

Thank you Kal, I missed this in my earlier glance through the thread.