IGNORED

New launch - iSILENCER3.0

Would it not be better to put a few ISilencers inline i.e. (iSilencer > ISilencer > ISilencer > usb Cable) rather than adding a multi-port hub that adds is own noise to the usb bus? I have no solid data that adding a USB hub adds noise to usb bus, but I had read that all hubs do add noise to some degree. If that is the case, it does not seem logical to add a noisy hub to the usb bus just so you can add noise reducing devices to that bus. Please let me know if my logic is correct in this regard.

Given that many USB improvement solutions (from iFi as much as others) use USB hub chipsets applied as "repeater" to regenerate the USB signal and given they are judged among the most effective option by many who have tried them, adding noise to the USB bus is not a necessary issue. Much will depend on the detailed design of the USB hub or repeater. Clock quality is a significant issue, as is layout and grounding (e.g. 2-layer PCB vs. 4-or more layers) and naturally power quality.

The way the iSilencer works means they do not need to be in-line, but can be used on unused USB ports as well, while being effective.

If you want to chain them, a good option would be an iPurifier 2 (which also regenerates the USB signal and includes the same ANC circuitry as the iSilencer and does not add noise) with an iSilencer upstream at the PC/source. Optionally more iSilencer's can be used on unused USB ports, where they improve the USB section power supply bus, helping usually both the power quality on the actual USB bus but as well as that of the power that supplies the USB chipset on the motherboard and prevent radiated emissions.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Maybe I should of asked this question first? I am already planning to get the micro - iUSB 3.0, so would adding any additional iSilenecers before or after the iUSB would yield any sonic benefit? The source is a Apple Mac Book Pro with two USB ports.

[h=3][/h]No Disc

Given that many USB improvement solutions (from iFi as much as others) use USB hub chipsets applied as "repeater" to regenerate the USB signal and given they are judged among the most effective option by many who have tried them, adding noise to the USB bus is not a necessary issue. Much will depend on the detailed design of the USB hub or repeater. Clock quality is a significant issue, as is layout and grounding (e.g. 2-layer PCB vs. 4-or more layers) and naturally power quality.

The way the iSilencer works means they do not need to be in-line, but can be used on unused USB ports as well, while being effective.

If you want to chain them, a good option would be an iPurifier 2 (which also regenerates the USB signal and includes the same ANC circuitry as the iSilencer and does not add noise) with an iSilencer upstream at the PC/source. Optionally more iSilencer's can be used on unused USB ports, where they improve the USB section power supply bus, helping usually both the power quality on the actual USB bus but as well as that of the power that supplies the USB chipset on the motherboard and prevent radiated emissions.

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

Maybe I should of asked this question first? I am already planning to get the micro - iUSB 3.0, so would adding any additional iSilenecers before or after the iUSB would yield any sonic benefit? The source is a Apple Mac Book Pro with two USB ports.

No Disc

If you want to chain them, a good option would be an iPurifier 2 (which also regenerates the USB signal and includes the same ANC circuitry as the iSilencer and does not add noise) with an iSilencer upstream at the PC/source.

Optionally more iSilencer's can be used on unused USB ports, where they improve the USB section power supply bus, helping usually both the power quality on the actual USB bus but as well as that of the power that supplies the USB chipset on the motherboard and prevent radiated emissions.

So if I intend to purchase the iUSB 3.0 product, your suggestion is I can put a iPurifier upstream of it to further improve the sound? I was reading the Ifi product page for the iPurifier and it reads the iPurifier is not needed if you use the iUSB 3.0 product? Sorry, I'm just trying to learn the product line and know the optimal solution for my setup.

For the iUSB3.0, that alone incorporates all that we have learnt over the past few years so the iPurifier2 is not required to improve the iUSB3.0.

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

So if I intend to purchase the iUSB 3.0 product, your suggestion is I can put a iPurifier upstream of it to further improve the sound? I was reading the Ifi product page for the iPurifier and it reads the iPurifier is not needed if you use the iUSB 3.0 product? Sorry, I'm just trying to learn the product line and know the optimal solution for my setup.

Actually, if you are equipped with iUSB3.0, there's no need for iPurifier2, though iSilencer makes sense on computer's end. Please take a look here:

http://support.ifi-audio.com/file.php?key=w3UI0wkypL_0XxspIDYLmc_nYW9_Apx0&expires=1486857600&signature=9268d31d290a57e024d79a9db84a767bf7611dcc

It looks like a portable, usb-powered usb hub fed, through an iSilencer and with another iSilencer following the hub itself and three more iSilencers plugged into spare ports.

This sort of approach would give around four times more noise reduction at the hub than a single iSilencer, using two in series cascades the filters, so at any given frequency the noise reduction is multiplied.

Someone seems to like low noise, that's a given.

This is pretty amazing picture, If you buy 8 ports hub you could add 7 useless iSilencers and reduce the noise even further. How about... not having a hub in this picture?

This is pretty amazing picture, If you buy 8 ports hub you could add 7 useless iSilencers and reduce the noise even further. How about... not having a hub in this picture?

The picture was posted by No Disc user with the following question: "can someone from ifi suggest what might be going on with this setup?", so... we endeavored to answer. This is not an application iFi have particulary recommended (nor do we notrecommend it). In the end what any customer does with iFi products is up to him/her, as long as it's legal and involves consenting adults.

• 2 months later...

probably silencer into disk then cable..

it acts as a pass through device. Experiment if moving it helps either end.

You would think near the source but it my not matter.....

AMR will chip in...but good luck....

Dave

On 2.05.2017 at 10:56 PM, tedwoods said:

Sorry for the dumb question but, if I were to use the isilencer with a hard disc, how would I do it: plugging the usb cable from the disc to the isilencer and the isilencer into the usb3.0 of the server or vice versa?

iSilencer should be placed the closest to a PC as possible. Hence right after USB out of your PC.