IGNORED

OPINIONS: USB vs toslink

opinions: ie what SQ is better or worse USB or mini TOSLINK to TOSLINK to Gungnir pre multibit DAC for any of the most used players/streamers ROON/ROON w/HQP/Amarra sQ+/Amarra for TIDAL/Audirvana 2+/Jriver for Mac v22/Qobuz alone/TIDAL alone??

What are advantages/disadvantages of USB vs optical TOSLINK??

All depends on system implementation. USB can handle more format configurations. If implemented correctly, USB SQ wins in my book.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Toslink has the advantage of providing complete electrical isolation. On the other hand, it is more prone to clock issues, mainly jitter. Which connection will serve you best depends on your requirements and the particulars of your system.

Agreed, although a proper glass Toslink cable may improve performance a little.

The downside is they are quite a bit more expensive.

Personally., I would like to see further research done about properly implementing Coax SPDIF, and markedly extending the bandwidth it is technically capable of.

I note also that John Swenson uses a high speed video amplifier to export the data in one of his designs instead of the usual logic inverters. John isn't the first one to do this though.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

opinions: ie what SQ is better or worse USB or mini TOSLINK to TOSLINK to Gungnir pre multibit DAC for any of the most used players/streamers ROON/ROON w/HQP/Amarra sQ+/Amarra for TIDAL/Audirvana 2+/Jriver for Mac v22/Qobuz alone/TIDAL alone??

What are advantages/disadvantages of USB vs optical TOSLINK??

First it depends on the limitations of both inputs, my USB connection can accept hirez signals my optical connection can't.

If all things are equal choose the connection that matches the best cable you have available.I prefer mapleshade and their optical cable is better than their USB. Other vendors may be different.