IGNORED

USB Cable

output impedance of IC/Valve (digital square wave generator) accross the frequency is important. It should be constant and match to line impedance.

Thorsten is a smart designer and his DP-777 (5000$) easily outperform 50000$ DACs , hi is not on marketing hype.

All manufacturers are of the marketing type.

It attracts customers and keeps them faithful to the brand.

Can be anything from disclosing the internal cables or capacitor manufacturers to the use of selected (and audiophile recognised) binding posts or something more significant like ss vs. valves.

Audiophiles are attracted to concepts, things like valves, NOS DACs, PRaT, single-driver, first watt, no feedback, analogue, R2R, vintage cinema gear, but the large majority generally hasn't got a clue of the meaning, performance potential or impact in reproduction.

And they choose to embrace one or several, guided by the fantasies some reviewers render around them.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

It would appear that you may be though ! (smile)

Have you heard any $50K DACs ?

BTW, quad I.C's such as the MAX497 series with their full power -3dB bandwidth of 215MHZ, a fixed gain of 2, with 75 ohm input resistors and a 75 ohm series output resistor should be ideal for this kind of duty. They need + and -5V supply rails though.

The output level could be set by the value of a series input resistor.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/5576/njLCeA.jpg

dCS scarlatti

Can be anything from disclosing the internal cables or capacitor manufacturers to the use of selected (and audiophile recognised) binding posts or something more significant like ss vs. valves.

Audiophiles are attracted to concepts, things like valves, NOS DACs, PRaT, single-driver, first watt, no feedback, analogue, R2R, vintage cinema gear, but the large majority generally hasn't got a clue of the meaning, performance potential or impact in reproduction.

And they choose to embrace one or several, guided by the fantasies some reviewers render around them.

R

OK but some manufactures are better like:

AMR

CEC

AudioPAX

Lavry

dCS scarlatti

Unless you have heard them both through a system that can do justice to both DACs, it is meaningless, and open to personal preferences such as the preference for vacuum tubes.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Unless you have heard them both through a system that can do justice to both DACs, it is meaningless, and open to personal preferences such as the preference for vacuum tubes.

I also tested 55$ Audio Note DAC 5 with AMR side by side .

AMR in bit-perfect I (just 44.1khz 16bit) Classic mode is good DAC.

Where did you dig up that silly bit about cables being 10% of the total system value ? A well designed system doesn't need expensive cables.

It's not possible to do more than improve USB Audio a little by using very expensive cables with it.

Many people do use more expensive cables to output to USB DACs, but that's due to flaws in the delivery of USB Audio from a typical Computer or Server, where you need to put a lot more effort into it to get it working well, and includes the use of devices such as the Intona Isolator and USB Regen to improve the Signal Integrity of the ANALOGUE representation of a digital waveform.

Well designed interconnects do NOT have a sound of their own !!! The better designed interconnects do however prevent RF/EMI from degrading the signal in conjunction with other methods such as keeping them well clear of A.C. mains cables.

If a system doesn't have good cables it isn't well designed in the first place. Your claim about what usb cables can and cannot do is baseless. You have not auditioned even a small percentage of the available cables, you basically just made that up. I know you can do better than that, please don't insult the rest of us with wild speculation, aren't you an engineer?

R

All "good" manufacturers have return policies where false marketing = massive (and unprofitable) returns. If you got burned change vendors.

Exactly my point, unless you have listened to all USB cables through a system your claims about them are meaningless and speculative.

They concentrate on analogue interconnects and loudspeaker cables because that's where they can make big $ !!!

We have several members here that are very experienced in the area of cable design and impedance matching etc. who will tell you that much of the mystique with boutique interconnects is snake oil, and that you only need well designed cables.

With typical interconnect lengths of around 1M or so there is very little to be gained using expensive interconnects over well made cables from Blue Jeans Cables etc. who uses quality Belden Coaxial cable.

The vast majority of USB cables are sourced from a few Asian suppliers.

A few boutique USB cables loved by many C.A. members wouldn't have a snowflake's chance in hell of meeting the relevant USB 2.0 specifications for impedance etc.

I use DIY interconnects of a Coaxial cable type construction with 2 layers of shielding, including a braided shield for all my interconnects. For Coax SPDIF we are often limited to the use of RCA type connectors by the manufacturer, and it may be hard to retrofit a true 75 ohm BNC socket.

I was however able to retrofit a 75 ohm BNC socket for Coax SPDIF In with my highly modified DIY DAC based on a Silicon Chip magazine design and kit.

More baseless accusations, please give it a rest. Helpful posts provide specific claims and support. If you want to cry wolf that's ok, just start a new thread with your fellow "experts" rather than dump on this one. Not helpful.

Roch

What I said here has NOTHING to do with valves used in the analogue output stages of a DAC.

I am NOT putting down valves used in the analogue output stages of a DAC. Their use there is a personal choice only,just as it is with Hollow State Amplifiers vs. Solid State Amplifiers . Either type when properly designed can do the job equally well.

A suitable high speed I.C. can perform a conversion of a square wave type output to an exported Coax SPDIF stream just as effectively as any valve can do, and never need replacing for the lifetime of the DAC either.

The Coax SPDIF output stage that John Swenson designed using a wideband video amplifier, as distinct from the use of a Logic I.C. , would do every bit as well as a valve used in this particular DIGITAL application.

Alex

Please devote a new thread to your BFF John Swenson, this thread is USB cable.

All "good" manufacturers have return policies where false marketing = massive (and unprofitable) returns. If you got burned change vendors.

You'd need knowledgeable consumers for that to work...

If a system doesn't have good cables it isn't well designed in the first place. Your claim about what usb cables can and cannot do is baseless. You have not auditioned even a small percentage of the available cables, you basically just made that up. I know you can do better than that, please don't insult the rest of us with wild speculation, aren't you an engineer?

It doesn't matter how good the USB cable is, it can NOT cure all the USB problems by itself.

Presently, the best USB cable is NO USB cable and using direct USB adaptors without a cable.

Perhaps you should read the many contributions by E.E. John Swenson on the subject ?

No, I am not an Engineer, although I come from a Telecommunications background as a Principal Telecommunications Technical Officer with 43 years experience with Telstra ( Australia) before retiring, as well as being into DIY for around 65 years.

See also earlier USB discussions at the link , it gives some idea of the problems faced.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/continuing-pursuit-power-supply-improvements-and-improved-digital-analogue-converter-performance-14165/

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Exactly my point, unless you have listened to all USB cables through a system your claims about them are meaningless and speculative.

Utter rubbish ! USB Audio is highly sensitive to A.C. mains earth related issues that a simple cable is unable to address, even with Witchcraft invoked.

The Signal Integrity needs to be further improved before it gets to the USB input of almost all DACs.

That is where items such as the Intona Isolator , USB Regen etc.; normally make substantial SQ improvements. Around 3,000 USB Regenerators sold so far, without paid advertising, attests to the ability of items such as this and the Intona Isolator to further improve USB Audio , even when already using the best available USB cables.

Perhaps you should read the many contributions by E.E. John Swenson on the subject ?

Yep, a must.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Yep, a must.

Hi Yash

What many people don't wish to believe, is that no matter how experienced you are in the area of general Hi Fi, Computer Audio is a completely new ball game with a steep learning curve, as many members have found.

Some apparently haven't even learned yet how to Unzip a music file to extract the original file , yet they attack those who try to assist them !

Regards

Alex

Utter rubbish ! USB Audio is highly sensitive to A.C. mains earth related issues that a simple cable is unable to address, even with Witchcraft invoked.

The Signal Integrity needs to be further improved before it gets to the USB input of almost all DACs.

That is where items such as the Intona Isolator , USB Regen etc.; normally make substantial SQ improvements. Around 3,000 USB Regenerators sold so far, without paid advertising, attests to the ability of items such as this and the Intona Isolator to further improve USB Audio , even when already using the best available USB cables.

Utter rubbish indeed, changing USB cables can benefit SQ, period. Are there other things that can benefit the signal from a PC? Yes, but they are "additive" benefits. If you think I need to buy a new card, regen, etc. before I change cables I think it is a "nice to have" but not a "i better not try a new cable unless I change everything else" to have.

You know the more doo dads you add to the chain the more things you can screw up.

OP, just go ahead and try a new cable, you don't need to reengineer your entire front end first, what nonsense.

It doesn't matter how good the USB cable is, it can NOT cure all the USB problems by itself.

Presently, the best USB cable is NO USB cable and using direct USB adaptors without a cable.

No, I am not an Engineer, although I come from a Telecommunications background as a Principal Telecommunications Technical Officer with 43 years experience with Telstra ( Australia) before retiring, as well as being into DIY for around 65 years.

See also earlier USB discussions at the link , it gives some idea of the problems faced.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/continuing-pursuit-power-supply-improvements-and-improved-digital-analogue-converter-performance-14165/

Like you are pretending to know the cure for all USB problems? Wonderful, get your BFF Mr Swenson and start a new thread.

OP, don't sweat trying a new cable, just make sure you get a 30 day audition.

BTW your link is 4 years old, FWIW you may want to look up something called Moores Law, no wonder you don't have accurate info.

Why am I not surprised that the many people who are able to assist you , are steering well clear of this thread ?

Like you are pretending to know the cure for all USB problems? Wonderful, get your BFF Mr Swenson and start a new thread.

OP, don't sweat trying a new cable, just make sure you get a 30 day audition.

BTW your link is 4 years old, FWIW you may want to look up something called Moores Law, no wonder you don't have accurate info.

This BBF thing is really annoying... What are you, a 16 year old?

Perhaps you should leave your preconceived ideas in the cooler and learn a few things from the many knowledgeable people here.

R

• 2 weeks later...