IGNORED

iPhone 7 DAC - best options?

So the iPhone 7 is out and since there's no headphone jack, we are now sorta forced to get an external DAC. Yes, one is provided with the phone, but I wonder about better options.

I would like something like an iPhone-tailored Dragonfly Red (ie with a lightning cable so no extra bulk from the USB adapted etc). There are also the new lightning cables from Audeze.

What's out there worth looking into?

Thx.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I would like something like an iPhone-tailored Dragonfly Red (ie with a lightning cable so no extra bulk from the USB adapted etc). There are also the new lightning cables from Audeze.

Is that Audeze cable available separately? I looked at their website earlier today and didn't see it listed under accessories, just as part of a package with their Sine Series and EL-8 Titanium headphones. If it is available as a standalone, it's could be a pretty good option, depending on the cost.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Have to wait to see if it's upgraded/compatible but Arcam MusicBoost is reasonable option for an "all in" solution.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Is that Audeze cable available separately? I looked at their website earlier today and didn't see it listed under accessories, just as part of a package with their Sine Series and EL-8 Titanium headphones. If it is available as a standalone, it's could be a pretty good option, depending on the cost.

I don't think so. But I would consider getting the Audeze planar earbuds.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I would assume that any direct Lightning connected device would require Apple approval and therefore would be limited to 44.1 and 48khz. (If you're bothered about such things)

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I don't think so. But I would consider getting the Audeze planar earbuds.

I have to say those earbuds look cool. I'd like to hear them. From a comfort standpoint, I'm not sure I could give up my customs, though.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

I would assume that any direct Lightning connected device would require Apple approval and therefore would be limited to 44.1 and 48khz. (If you're bothered about such things)

Don't know any details, but Audeze describes its cable as "[t]he world’s first 24-bit Lightning cable for higher-resolution sound."

I'd love to know what that means, exactly. 24/44.1? 24/48? Something else?

--David

Ah right... The Dragonfly doesn't bc it goes over USB. Interesting point. The BT solutions max out at 48KHz as well.

system pics

I have to say those earbuds look cool. I'd like to hear them. From a comfort standpoint, I'm not sure I could give up my customs, though.

Right. I have a pair of great Noble K10 customs. I might try the included adapter. I have liked the sound out of the Noble BTS dongle as well (which I have).

For me personally, all the music on my phone is in iTunes+ (256kbps AAC) so frankly the resolution limitations are not a concern. What is a concern is the quality of the headphone amp in the chain.

Yet another option is to use the Apple 30pin adapter which has a pretty decent Wolfson DAC in it.

system pics

The extreme measure is to upgrade to an iPhone 6.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I think there are devices like Oppo HA2 that can directly connect to iPhones via Lightning cable and you can get hi res music off the HA2 if you use say Onkyo's HF Player app. But in order to do that, I think manufacturers have to pay Apple a fee to override the copy protection scheme and Apple has to get a schematic/code of the digital design. Chord DAC designer Rob Watts commented on why this is not a feature of Chord Mojo because he thinks it'll add another $50 to the cost of the unit and he wasn't going to give Apple his FPGA programming for his chord DAC. I'm sure there'll be more direct to Lightning DACs available but there may not be as many as people would like. Most DACs are Sabre chip based so I doubt designers would mind showing Apple the schematics/code.

I have a Shure KSC1500, accordingly, iPhone can play 24/96 files (using third party app) to Shure DAC/Amp

Shure KSE1500 Electrostatic Earphone System

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

I have a Shure KSC1500, accordingly, iPhone can play 24/96 files (using third party app) to Shure DAC/Amp

Shure KSE1500 Electrostatic Earphone System

Looks like I was mistaken ... the Oppo HA2 commented above supports higher direct from lightning too...

Thanks for the correction I will file it away to remember :-)

Eloise

---

I've had stunning results with Dragonfly Red, using Apple's Lightning to USB 3.0 "Camera Adapter". Allows me to charge while listening. Paired with Etymotic ER4SR...brilliant!

Great - that's the already-available answer to listening and charging.

system pics

I am planning to dump the iPhone ship and cruise over to the LG V20. ESS - 32-bit/192kHz audio

Nice specs... how does it actually sound?

Eloise

---

I think there are devices like Oppo HA2 that can directly connect to iPhones via Lightning cable and you can get hi res music off the HA2 if you use say Onkyo's HF Player app. But in order to do that, I think manufacturers have to pay Apple a fee to override the copy protection scheme and Apple has to get a schematic/code of the digital design. Chord DAC designer Rob Watts commented on why this is not a feature of Chord Mojo because he thinks it'll add another $50 to the cost of the unit and he wasn't going to give Apple his FPGA programming for his chord DAC. I'm sure there'll be more direct to Lightning DACs available but there may not be as many as people would like. Most DACs are Sabre chip based so I doubt designers would mind showing Apple the schematics/code.

Guarantee that ESS will not release the inner schematics of their chips to Apple!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Guarantee that ESS will not release the inner schematics of their chips to Apple!

You're right. I should have found John Franks's exact quote on Head-Fi...

"We can't supply the CCK in our cables pack because to be fully licenced by them we'd have to disclose too much sensitive design information. "

Whatever that means...

But I thought there were other comments on Head-Fi by either John Franks or Rob Watts. If I find them, I'll post further.

Found another quote from John Franks:

I believe a requirement of using the camera kit Apple chip inside your product is complete design disclosure to Apple engineering hardware software the lot. We might be a bit mad but we're not totally crazy. If we had not much technology to hide. Say if we were just using a industry Dac chip we wouldn't have a problem in doing this, but for us today it's a very different story.