IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

40 minutes ago, matthias said:

Thanks, I think I may have the older one based on this, since I bought it in 2017. I also see the updated board available from Tim:

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudioxu208usbmodule/

But based on what I measured, I don't see the need to upgrade :)

• 8 months later...
16 minutes ago, barrows said:

So it shows worse performance via I2S vs. USB, as I would expect to see.  I could see how say might suspect he differences to be low enough to be inaudible, but my experience comparing measured jitter levels with listening tests suggest that this would be audible.  Just from this, I could see that some might find the I2S connection to produce a sound with slightly more body, albeit lower resolution.  Some listeners might indeed prefer the I2S connection in a given system context...  I know what I would think about it.

Certainly there is nothing here that would confirm better performance for I2S vs. USB.

Thanks Paul!

I do think that the differences I measured  are well below audible, but, as you say, there is nothing in them that demonstrates any improvement with an I2S-connected DDC.

I started out using SU-1 and even made many of the suggested mods to try to improve it, but in the end, I went back to using the straight-in USB connection on Holo Spring. And that was all before I decided to measure it :)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Miska said:

With ASR's measurements, you really cannot say...

You measured Spring, as did I and found it to be a good performing DAC. ASR measurements show that May measures better in all respects, so I’d like to think that it really is at least as good as the Spring, likely better. But yes, not everything was measured. And it’s also outside my audio budget, so I also have only a passing interest.