IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Check the following settings, please don't worry about whether they sound like they are truly needed or not, this is exactly how my Pioneer is set-up so we'll go with this for now:

Playback -> Last Memory -> Off

Options -> Screen Saver -> Off

Options -> Auto Power Off -> Off

Options -> Quick Start -> Off

Were they already that way and if not, what was different?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Though the above settings are important, I now see what is 99.9% likely to be your entire problem with the server method as stated by you to me in a PM:

30 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

I created an SACD folder on my NAS share (z:\SACD with about 1.5TB of available space), into which I installed: iso2dsd.exe and iso2dsd.jar.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Unfortunately the above PM ended with "I've got to step away now and won't get back to this until tomorrow afternoon".

OK, that presumes I or others are available tomorrow afternoon, and I am not. I have a day job and my Pioneer does not travel with me to work, nor would I have time there to answer any questions anyway.

However you are in luck because I'll post the solution right here right now, and I imagine your PM to me might also provide a clue as to why local ripping over Telnet also did not work.

You cannot have the Sonore package all picked apart with just those two pieces residing on your NAS, that won't work. While I've never tried to launch programs like that from a NAS, I do know one thing for sure, and that is the ENTIRE Sonore download package must remain intact and in one place, like this:

ISO2DSD-Win.thumb.jpg.8e34447a27ee3dfea48e492cfce32883.jpg

The Sonore web page says:

*Requirements: The sacd_extract file, version.txt, and the iso2dsd_gui.jar file need to be in the same folder, Java needs to me installed, 64 bit OS

...and they mean it.

Perhaps someone else can weigh in on the implications for Telnet with the above NAS-based arrangement of sacd_extract, I have a funny feeling it could be a problem there too.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

7 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

SACD-R support was silently removed in firmware 50-0323B

I'm puzzled by you quoting me there.

I was responding to a post about SACD ripping being supposedly blocked via firmware update on the Oppo machines (which it hasn't, as repeated here many times over many pages in this thread over years' time ad nauseam).

In an earlier post I mentioned to the OP of that topic that he was confusing the SACD ripping capability with SACD-R playback having been blocked by an Oppo firmware update.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

32 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

I just replied to your PM as well.

I did not get any further replies.

32 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

I've gone to the DropBox link you provided (re-publishing here for anyone else who's interested, as I had to search a bit to find one the first time - BDP-160 AutoScript)

As stated previously (sorry for the repeat but I'm hoping others can avoid confusion), that link has caused many others a problem in that it points to the content of the AutoScript folder rather than the enclosing folder itself. Use the Download button in the upper right-hand side of the Drop Box GUI to download the correct thing.

35 minutes ago, hyendaudio said:

Should I throw in the towel on this player and go for a Sony?

No I think you should stop trying to run the program from the NAS as you stated in your original PM, and place that folder onto the PC itself. Or if you are sure that program should run from the NAS, then ask yourself if Java 8 was installed on that NAS or not? 64-bit Windows?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

3 hours ago, hyendaudio said:

Hi MikeyFresh.

I just replied to your PM as well. I've gone to the DropBox link you provided (re-publishing here for anyone else who's interested, as I had to search a bit to find one the first time - BDP-160 AutoScript) and I still get the same result. The player boots fine off the USB drive and the door opens. I load a CD and the player reads it, properly identifying it as an SACD. I then ran Sonore's iso2dsd application (I'm guessing that's what you mean by "server method"), correctly entering the pingable IP address (192.168.0.160) with the default port of 2002 and the result is: Failed to connect libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.160:2002 for reading. 

Thank you again. 

Should I throw in the towel on this player and go for a Sony? I'm reluctant to try an Oppo as according to what I've read, if the firmware's been updated it won't work.

I thought the above posted earlier today looked very familiar.

Turns out it is an exact copy and paste copy from Tuesday at 5:18pm. So even though the post from that date was answered, you copied and pasted it here again? Good luck with this tact.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

47 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Great!

@MikeyFresh Perhaps it is time to add the S790 to your master list of ripping players, since I think at least two people have successfully ripped with it now. 

Will do, I will asterisk both the the BDP-790 and BDP-S6200 as needing the specific/Sony-unique sacd_extract_6200 version of the AutoScript.

1 hour ago, Nexus3 said:

MikeyFresh, for his simple steps, constant positive attitude AND THE HINT to have this damn Quick Start option turned ON!

Thank you @Nexus3, and while I did publish the specific steps and help others to utilize the sleep method, the discovery and suggestion of how to do it were all @mindset, I only tested and confirmed using a few different Sony Blu-ray models and firmware versions, and posted a video which some members found helpful.

Related to the above, @mindset stated in his testing (but it's certainly worth repeating here) that the exact steps do differ slightly with the S6200. Specifically, the USB thumb drive containing the AutoScript can only be inserted AFTER the S6200 has been put to sleep, it will not work like the other Sonys (including apparently the S790 as detailed by @Nexus3 above) where the AutoScript can only run PRIOR to putting the unit to sleep.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

24 minutes ago, Nexus3 said:

Maybe the correct order depends on the script files used.

@mindset Can you shed some light on the script files you have used on your S6200?

Yes and I'd also assume the part of the script that opens the tray automatically must be removed from the script used with the S6200, otherwise USB insertion after the unit sleeps would immediately wake it for a disc tray opening, no?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

4 hours ago, BACHJS said:

I also installed on my Windows 10 PC the Sonore Iso2Dsd_gui in a directory that also contains the sacd_extract application.

Is it only those two items in the directory?

If you want to try the server method again, you need the entire folder contents downloaded from Sonore to stay intact, there should be 4 items:

InkedISO2DSD-Win_LI.jpg.5656e11d459c1bf51f4d16dd17e1128a.jpg

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

46 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

But it might be an undocumented feature.

In addition to the photos above I also looked at the online owner's manual for this unit several days ago after seeing a couple of them available on eBay. The Sony online manual does clearly state SACD compatibility too.

However, I was not at all sure of ripping compatibility based on that, but now am 99% sure based on @Nexus3 's firmware representation. I think from a build quality standpoint I'd probably rather have a BDP-S790, as in general these units were slightly cheapened over the years as these manufacturers are want to do. However in the case of furthering the ripping compatibility model list, I'll probably put a bid on an S7200.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

This model is not on my master list of BD players with SACD capability and I cannot find reference to SACD capability on your link or this more detailed Sony data sheet

It's actually hiding on that data sheet.

Way down the Specifications listing just above the 3D section it says: CD -> SA-CD (SA-CD/CD) -> Yes

It's also hiding in that online owner's manual, not at all as prominent as on other models.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

Additionally the service manuals prominently carry the SACD logo.

It would appear that SACD logo on the service manual was an error/misprint.

The S190 owner manual does not state SACD disc playback compatibility, and in the section describing the Audio settings for the HDMI port, no mention/option to output DSD vs. PCM is present:

1821639566_AudioSettings.thumb.jpg.c84ee8df721cdfdf66dce871d68d697b.jpg

In the Playable discs section of the owner manual, SACD is missing:

1027613502_Playablediscs.thumb.jpg.b178fdf3f661e239b585ed3244ad6ff1.jpg

Finally in the end of the manual where you'd expect to see an SACD logo there is none:

Logos.thumb.jpg.f563a76e3502973df35d0ef32b4beab5.jpg

So this one appears close but no cigar based on the owner manual, and that service manual was likely just misprinted in error with an SACD logo. If anyone has an S190 and can confirm that it does in fact play SACDs, then the reverse would likely be true (i.e. the owner manual was misprinted).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 hours ago, nUUK25 said:

If yes, are there any elements / steps which deviates from the "S590m local method" except that sacd_extract_6200 will replace sacd_extract_160.

No other changes should be necessary.

5 hours ago, nUUK25 said:

- when you download the sacd_extract_6200 file (ziped) and unfold it - it has no fil-association. Should I rename it to sacd_extract_6200.exe to make it an executable - or just copy it to the USB-stick and leave it on the USB-stick as it is?

Do not rename it or create any file association, leave it exactly as is.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

35 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The BDP-S790 can be used with any of the three methods, but the script currently packaged with the sacd_extract_6200 file only supports the server method, because it does not launch telnet. 

Yes and sorry If I managed to add any confusion with my post above, I mistakenly thought he was trying to use the sleep-server method with the S790, however in re-reading that post I see that's not the case.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Nexus3 said:

Absolutely possible, but if their quality checkup is that bad, they have also "misprinted" two years before that:

That is interesting, especially since many parts suppliers list the replacement optical drive mechanism as the same for all of these units over many years, currently the part they will send you is a BPX-10 for a wide range of models listed as compatible, including an S185 (but curiously enough not the S190).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

12 minutes ago, Nexus3 said:

Well that is interesting too - BPX-10 you say, cause the BDP-S185 service manual shows the following drive unit number:

Yes and various tear down photos of many of these models will often show the original optical drive is a BPX-7. The BDP-S7200 service manual pictures a BPX-7 with a 2013 manufacture date.

I just bought a BDP-S7200 with a dead optical drive on eBay for $9.99, the parts suppliers all list the BPX-10 as the replacement part, so I ordered one. When I receive the player it will be interesting to note which part is currently inside the unit, although impossible to tell if it is the original or had already once been replaced.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

Good luck in reviving the patient!

Thanks, it was worth a shot at $9.99 + $12.99 for the BPX-10 replacement part, which is listed this way:

BPX-10 
Compatible with the following Blu-ray player models: 

BDP-S Series: 
BDP-S1, BDP-S1000ES, BDP-S1100, BDP-S1200, BDP-S1500, BDP-S1700, BDP-S1700ES, BDP-S185, BDP-S2000ES, BDP-S2100, BDP-S2200, 
BDP-S2500, BDP-S270, BDP-S280, BDP-S300, BDP-S301, BDP-S3100, BDP-S3200, BDP-S350, BDP-S3500, BDP-S360, BDP-S360HP, BDP-S370, 
BDP-S3700, BDP-S380, BDP-S390, BDP-S470, BDP-S480, BDP-S500, BDP-S5000ES, BDP-S5100, BDP-S5200, BDP-S550, BDP-S5500, BDP-S560, 
BDP-S570, BDP-S580, BDP-S590, BDP-S6200, BDP-S6500, BDP-S6700, BDP-S7200, BDP-S770, BDP-S780, BDP-S790 

BDP-SX Series
BDP-SX1000, BDP-SX910 

BDP-BX Series: 
BDP-BX1, BDP-BX110, BDP-BX120, BDP-BX18, BDP-BX2, BDP-BX320, BDP-BX350, BDP-BX37, BDP-BX370, BDP-BX38, BDP-BX39, BDP-BX510, 
BDP-BX520, BDP-BX57, BDP-BX58, BDP-BX59, BDP-BX620, BDP-BX650 

I hope to accomplish these three things:

1. teach myself how to replace the optical drive in an S7200 (should be very easy)
2. verify BPX-10 replacement part is compatible with SACD
3. confirm S7200 model is indeed capable of SACD rips using sacd_extract_6200

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, loadam59 said:

First i bought a Pioneer LX58 as it was in the list of compatible players, but i didn't succeed to get root access. Maybe someone could find a way ... if you have an idea i could try to get it work ...

I wonder if anyone tried the Oppo script on this unit way back when?

I say that because at that time the discovery of the Sony model compatibility was still a year or more away, so that script would have been referred to as the "Pioneer" script, or "BDP-160" script.

However, the higher end LX58 I believe uses the MediaTek MT8580 just like an Oppo 10x series player. Could it be as simple as try using the Oppo script on the LX58?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, loadam59 said:

I didn't try the Oppo script on the LX58, but i will ... good suggestion

Do you know the chipset used in the Sony s7200, MT8560 ? I can't find any info

I stand corrected, on examination of the LX58 service manual, that unit does not use the MT8580 despite being a high-end competitor to the Oppo and it's derivatives. So the Oppo script likely won't work, though it never hurts anything to try.

The LX58 service manual clearly shows use of the MT8560:

LX58.thumb.jpg.3250c8eec6f8d820e3206f0ee4584c6e.jpg

So it would seem most likely that either the original Pioneer - Sony script, or the newer Sony ARMv7 script would work on the LX58.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

12 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The stuff I see in the service manuals (like this from the S590 Service Manual) has somewhat scared me because it shows typical Sony hyper-security lockdowns.

But I also remember googling around that people have figured out how to get around these.

So I'm sure you will prevail.

Yes I've been somewhat scared by that service manual stuff too, and it may end up much harder than I am anticipating, however there are as you said many instances of folks successfully replacing the optical drive in both Blu-ray players, and PS3 or PS4 game systems, so it's not impossible.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook