IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

<snip>We are done..

This is a wonderful forum, with so many excellent people to assist dummies like me having problems with the process. :)

Bless you!

It takes one final detail, then all the pieces fit together, congrats on sticking with it, the 'We are done...' is the best part of the whole process, cause it's listening time!

A tip : For some reason, a stupid mouse click, network drama, power failure can occur and the rip falls over part way through of the rip.

In this case, switch off the OPPO. Shutdown ISO2DSD and wait for a minute or so. Delete the unfinished .ISO with explorer.

Startup the OPPO again, then repeat the ripping process from the beginning. Unlike a download, the rip doesn't know where the end was and continue from where the interruption occurred. Even it could, there would be a huge mess, so best to start over fresh.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Once again, I appreciate your diligent follow-up.

Yes, should a freak power surge or failure occur (fortunately here in my area they are few and far between) my hefty surge protectors will kick in and protect the PC and audio components. But I wouldn't continue where I left off if there was a disruption, instead I'd delete all, turn the Oppo off and back on, before starting over again.

I DO wish, however, that there was a protection device for the errant slip of the mouse or keyboard :) I have, on two occasions, deleted entire file folders when hurriedly trying to remove a single file with the shift/delete key combo instead of just moving them to the recycle bin. It's easy to inadvertently highlight the whole directory instead of a single item.

I've ripped about eight of my SACDs, two of them hybrids; the results were bit-perfect. This is an exciting development for those of us who don't want to be bound to our players to listen to DSD-level music.

My best to you and thank you again!

PS: My success in ripping with the Oppo BDP-105 came AFTER the latest firmware update, so no issues there.

For the mouse one of the older explorers had CTRL + Z the undo, perhaps this will work, or one of those utilities that undoes the deletion by finding the index that's still live.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33131[/ATTACH]I have attached a screen print of what my thumb drive looks like, can you confirm files are correct for OPPO 103 ?

Thanks..

That's a fail and won't work.

The Autoscript folder contains these files below and the method to format. Since you use OSX, Boootice doesn't apply, but still partition the USB stick

Prepare a small 2-8 GB blank USB Stick, use Bootice to create a new MBR, format the drive to FAT32.

Create an AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick.

Autoscript folder contains three files:

Autoscript

Autoscript.TSS

sacd_extract

Note the extensions, important!!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for this thread, still looking for a safe way to put my few SACD on my server.

Is there a sticky to the list of hardware compatible (time consuming to go thru all 70 pages) ? Should I get one Oppo 105 or we have some update on the 203?

If you know the path through the jungle, the answer can be found. At the top of this page, click on search this thread.

In the box type 205 and see the hits. The answer to the question is in the 2nd hit.

Time poor is the result of poor management of time.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

Makes sense to me and thanks for pointing that out but attempting to control speech, however subtle the attempt, is sort of like herding cats or keeping children coloring inside the lines and is almost impossible to accomplish.

Keeping on topic is an attempt to control speech? Let's talk of the weather then.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, frfrtx said:

Does anyone know if research is taking place to get the new OPPO UDP-203 able to rip SACD's. Have done some searching but I could not find anything on this.

I was planning on buying the new UDP-203  but am thinking that I should buy the older BDP so that I can rip my SACD's.

Thanks if anyone knows the answer to this question. 

Been mentioned at least twice in this thread that the UDP-203 cannot rip a single SACD.

• 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

I have not yet had any response to the question I raised three days ago, as to why many people have quoted previous posts in this forum using a numeric reference (such as #123), when such numbers are not visible in my browser.

What magic potion is required to make post numbers visible?

The previous software used at CA was Vbulletin, where such references existed. It appears that these references are gone now. To reference a post, you can find it with search or the hard way, and use the share icon in the post to obtain the post link. From that you can use the link icon to reference.

And don't be demanding.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, superstar19 said:

Still not able to get anywhere with my BDP-80FD even by disabling the firewall settings on the router and windows.  I also tried connecting the BDP directly to router via LAN.  My router interface shows it on the network with an IP address, but I could not ping it from my PC.  I would get the host is unreachable.  So something is definitely screwy with network.  I was able to successfully ping when it was connected to wifi, but now with it connected via LAN it won't.

Not sure what else to try now.  I'm fairly tech savvy, but this one has really got me stumped.

What's on the USB stick? 9.3/10 "can't read 192...." faults are related to the location of the three files, their extensions and to a certain extent versions. The Pioneers need a different file than the Oppo/Cambridge players, but that's where the similarities end.

If the first try doesn't succeed, close off the Sonore app and restart the player. It won't reset by itself.

14 minutes ago, superstar19 said:

My USB stick has the "AutoScript" folder from the "SACD-extract-BDP160.zip" file that was linked in this thread.  The AutoScript folder contains:

AutoScript

AutoScript.TSS

sacd_extract_160

The only change in behavior is when I switched to a FAT32 formatted stick which resulted in the BDP drive tray opening up with the USB stick inserted in the slot.  My initial efforts were with an exFAT stick.

The file structure looks OK. What's the size of the stick? a 4GB is more than plenty.

Sometimes the USB stick needs a partition.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, beancounter said:

Thanks, One and a half. 

There's a lot of pages to hash through.  Was most concerned with a manufacturer update closing the "back door", like the PS3 firmware updates.

Doesn't seem to be the case, the player is now obsolete so why bother now. The SACD ripping looks like  is inherent to the Mediatek chip and despite various OPPO updates, the ripping ability is still there.

7 hours ago, scottm_dj said:

Holy #^%$...this really does work on my Cambridge 752BD!  You guys are absolute geniuses!

Now I can add content to my superb ExaSound e28 i got from Larry via this site.

image.thumb.png.a39e1e8aad834668f8d2dfbe634613df.png

Congratulations! DFF/DSF's will sound great on the e28 :)

Why people with Cambridge Players can rip SACD with minimal effort & support, yet those with Oppo struggle? 

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, jkenton said:

Guys, I successfully extracted many SACD"s some 6 months ago using Oppo 103 using ethernet.

Now, when I hit Execute button in ISO2DSD I get message:

sacd_extract(1232,0x7fffa99063c0) malloc: *** error for object 0x104eb3000: pointer being freed was not allocated

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

Any ideas?

Maybe the USB stick has corrupt sectors, make another stick? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, va-vid said:

I have used the PS3 method for a few weeks, but did not do significant listening tests on multi-channel SACDs until today (I was concentrating on the grind of making the files). I will get more thorough soon with calibrated volume matching. My first impression is that the PS3 makes fat sloppy files that have an excess reverb effect not present in the magnificent sound from the Oppo 105 direct from the disc. This is confusing, because the PS3 is supposed to make bit accurate conversions and I'm playing the files through the same Oppo.

I'll be gearing up to make the Oppo do the transfer soon and report back.

Wow, that's very odd, since a few members report the SACD rip from a PS3 is bit identical to the rip from a complaint Oppo.

To create a bootable USB stick requires another piece of software to find, and Windows for example doesn't have "Make this stick bootable" option in the formatting procedure.

Windows though does have a tool called DISKPART that creates a bootable USB stick, and can format in NTFS or FAT32 or it can be used to create a bootable installation. DISKPART is included in Windows 10.

Here's the instructions from TechNet. The instructions are very clear and unambiguous.

14 hours ago, va-vid said:

I have used the PS3 method for a few weeks, but did not do significant listening tests on multi-channel SACDs until today (I was concentrating on the grind of making the files). I will get more thorough soon with calibrated volume matching. My first impression is that the PS3 makes fat sloppy files that have an excess reverb effect not present in the magnificent sound from the Oppo 105 direct from the disc. This is confusing, because the PS3 is supposed to make bit accurate conversions and I'm playing the files through the same Oppo.

I'll be gearing up to make the Oppo do the transfer soon and report back.

Could it be that dsf files are made on the fly?

'Usually', an ISO is created first, then from the ISO, dsf or dff or if you have the facility or want, to FLAC. It's possible that the computations are falling over, since the conversions on the fly when ripping are a one sided affair (no checking) and could sound very different.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, GT in OZ said:

Apologies if these are dumb questions (working my way through 109 pages defeated me after about 10 pages).

I have an Oppo 103, which is hard wired into my network at 192.168.1.21, and which I can successfully ping from a command line prompt on my Windows 10 computer. I've turned off autoplay and autoresume, as suggested.

I downloaded files from dropbox account, as described, and followed instructions as best I could (see below). I installed latest Java, as iso2dsd wouldn't run without it.

I've tried three different ways of ripping with a number of different commercially purchased (ie 'real') SACDs - unsuccessfully every time. 

1. Created clean USB with an 'AutoScript' folder containing three files:

AutoScript (23/04/2015, 1Kb);

AutoScript.TSS (23/04/2015, 1Kb); and 

sacd_extract (18/02/2015, 345Kb).

2. Created Folder 0SACD on D:\ drive, which has 1Tb free space. Placed two files in it:

sacd.cmd (shows as today, 1Kb); and

sacd_extract.exe (shows as today, 951Kb).

3. Edited sacd.cmd in Notepad to read "sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.21:2002 -P -I"

4. Turn on Oppo, insert USB stick, wait until drawer opens, insert SACD, close drawer, wait until it shows SACD on screen. [BTW, have tried leaving both USB stick in and taking it out before pushing close.]

5. Go back to Computer

VERSION 1

A. Right click sacd.cmd, 'Run as adminstrator'

B. UAC asks if I really want to do it, I say yes, a window momentarily opens and closes again. 

C. Nada

VERSION 2

A. Right click sacd_extract.exe, 'Run as administrator'

B. UAC yes.

C. Window temporarily opens and closes.

D. Nada

VERSION 3

A. Extract iso2Dsd_PC_v7.zip into Folder D:\0SACD\ iso2Dsd_PC_v7, containing

_MACOSX folder (ignored); 

iso2dsd_gui.exe (23/01/2014, 145Kb); 

iso2dsd_gui.jar (24/01/2014, 84Kb);

sacd_extract.exe (29/07/2017,1,073Kb); and

version.txt (3/08/2015, 1Kb).

B. Right click iso2dsd_gui.exe, run as administrator.

C. Select server input; set IP address/port to 192.168.1.21:2002; set channel mode to stereo, output mode to Sony DSF.

D. Click 'Execute'

E. The first three or four times I got 'Unable to connect, libsacdread...' errors.

F. The last time a window briefly opened and closed, and now nothing is happening(as far as I can tell - I'm not sure what signs I should expect that something is happening...).

I'll keep playing for a while, but would appreciate any help. Happy to hit my forehead and say 'Doh!'

Use a small usb stick like 4gb.

format the drive so it has a partition and to Fat32.

iso2dsd Exe needs to b in the same folder as the 1tb space.

keep reading amp this thread, perhaps search on Cambridge instead, it’s the same chipset as oppo with less hits than oppo and results are quicker

1 hour ago, guthrie_m said:

Has anyone been working on being able to rip sacd from a oppo 205? I have been having trouble finding a oppo 103 or 105?

An Oppo 20x cannot rip SACD.

There's no negotiation, if possibles, or maybes, a very simple no, it doesn't rip SACD. The supply of 10x is drying up, try for the Pioneer models or the Cambridge CXU.

2 hours ago, GT in OZ said:

Hi Phthlocyanine. Thanks for that. I've just confirmed that I have the first one, 'that seems to be working fine for some CA Oppo users' - see below. So it would seem that I have managed to download the correct AutoScript. 

So, is it possible I've mixed up the sacd_extract.exe files? I notice that I have at least three different ones. In my current setup there is

1. a 345 KB file created on 18/02/2018 on the USB stick; 

2. another at 951 KB created on 29/12/2018 which sits in the sacd_extract folder in the root drive of my computer, and is (presumably) referred to by the sacd.cmd in the same folder; and

3. another of 1,073 KB, created on 29/07/2018, which sits in the same folder as the iso2dsd_gui.exe program file.

Is this how is should be?

AUTOSCRIPT

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract /)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

The autoscript folder should look like this, the dates maybe different, depends when stored.

image.thumb.png.ea241331d879b728cca749cbb024a483.png

What's in the Autoscripts

Autoscript
Autoscript.TSS
sacd_extract

Autoscript contents:

==========================================================

#MTKAT 0.xx script

Autoscript.TSS

#MTKAT 0.xx script

There's an instruction for the CXU enclosed, it is the same for any Oppo 10x unit as well as the rar for the three files.

160724 SACD Rip instructions using CXU.txt

AutoScript.rar

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, HenkNZ said:

Hi,

I have been trying a bit to get this done using Mac and Oppo 103B.  The Oppo is on ethernet and my Mac is on the same network:

I have tried from the Mac and from Windows 7.

The USB drive is a bootable 2GB FAT32 device.  It opens the drawer when I insert it on the front.

I have set up the OPPO as per instructions on this page.

The SACD folder is in my Windows C drive.

Using the Sonore ISOD2DSD exe on Windows and the .JAR on Mac gives the same error

Response result non-zero or disc opened, cant open 192.168.1.73:2002 for reading

On Windows using cmd, I get this error:

libsacdread: Can't stat /dev/cdrom

No such file or directory

What am I missing?

The 5th sentence in your post is in error. Th rest is the consequence, for please,  debug from the beginning.