IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Thanks, Ted.

Yes, very very interesting ... given that I don't have ps3 & was waiting ... on Mr W's hardware effort.

Caveat, being in Oz, I've got the Oppo105 mod for multi-region. Just can't do without a diet of the Criterion Collection! We'll see.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

"PLEASE report back, especially a successful rip. I will act as go-between for the silent folks behind the scene who actually discovered and created this stuff."

Ted, great.

& also,

1. let us know if the multi-region mod is a problem

2. maybe someone can figure an Apple equivalent (... spose, I'll have to use the other half's pc).

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Grill, appreciated.

Or you can run BootCamp on your Mac. ;-)

Yep, prob best alternative.

There is a sacd_extract version for OS X in this package: http://dsd.sonore.us/iso2dsd_OSX_v6.zip. Maybe that one works for this procedure.

Who's going to try first!

Me! Using this method, substituting the Mac Java GUI, I am currently happily ripping the multichannel layer of my recently-purchased AF copy of Breezin'.:)

Fantastic!

Can you do a brief 'how to' guide. Thanks, in advance.

BTW. this method of extraction is out now more than half year. See yourself - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yl8cffq273ebah/SACD-extract-BDP160.zip?dl=0

Person behind this is from Ukraine, Kiev, i belive.

Yes, grill was onto it at the start of the year, on another forum.

Ripping venture under way - as per tmtomh mac guide, with no obstacles encountered. Thanks.

Except that it is WAY slow ... less than .1 m/sec! Didn't do the SIP disable/ re-enable. Using wifi I suppose is cause; both Oppo 105 & macmini are a distance from the router.

Is there a method of connecting Oppo & mac by ethernet directly, which might speed up the transfer? Yeh, I dunno this stuff.

Still no luck. I'm using my Mac to unzip and copy to the stick, but I can't imagine that has anything to do with it.

Then use the mac & tmtomh's mac guide?

Ripping venture under way - as per tmtomh mac guide, with no obstacles encountered. Thanks.

Except that it is WAY slow ... less than .1 m/sec! Didn't do the SIP disable/ re-enable. Using wifi I suppose is cause; both Oppo 105 & macmini are a distance from the router.

Is there a method of connecting Oppo & mac by ethernet directly, which might speed up the transfer? Yeh, I dunno this stuff.

BTW, any suggestions re ultra slow rip rate? It did complete though ... eventually.

Oppo 105 / macmini. Sorted my ethernet connection issues, & now ripping at ~2.5mb/sec, averaged. So, all good.

For those that have the Cambridge Audio CXU or 650/750 Players, please find relevant procedure in the attached file.

So this will work with a CA 650BD?

• 2 weeks later...
if you assign the player a static address on the same subnet as the computer which also has a static address

then you can use a Ethernet crossover cable to hook the 2 together without a router or hub. I tested this, works fine.

For us computer semi-literates, can another short 'how-to' guide be done to describe this?

• 1 month later...

The clarification that needs to be inserted in here is how to set a direct ethernet connection between mac & oppo, as distinct from via router.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if the new 203 and 205 Oppo's will allow SACD ripping?

It'll have 20. fw, so we shall see ...

• 6 months later...

Right then, who's putting their hand up for the HQPlayer thread, surely a WR ...?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, frfrtx said:

I have been looking at the options on Sonore ISO2DSD, and it has many additional Output Modes besides SONY DSF.   One of the Output Modes is Raw ISO.  Is there a workflow process that can convert .dsf files back into an SACD ISO?  I have tried a few different options but usually get the message "Not a ScarletBook disc!" and "Can't read Master TOC."

I have discovered that if a burn an SACD ISO to a DVD+R it plays just like the original SACD on my OPPO BDP-83.  Since the BDP-83 has gotten old and doesn't always open the disc drawer, I am very cautious about putting original SACD's into it.

Thanks for any advice in this area on how to possibly create an SACD ISO from dsf files with Sonore ISO2DSD.

Note that such burnt sacd isos won't play on current & 103/105 Oppos. My old CA 650BD will play them, but not later CAs. There's a list somewheres ...

• 2 weeks later...

No sacd rips from CA650BD - but it will play burnt dvd sacd iso disks, assuming no fw update got in the road ...

• 9 months later...

Assuming they are the same mix etc, re cd layer ...

Thanks, good info on the Catalunya Savall - wonder how many of his recordings this applies to?

• The Computer Audiophile changed the title to SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!
  • 1 year later...

Maybe wandering off topic, ... but -

noted some time back I was getting a faint ticketty-tick-tick on only dsf files, but not pcm even though my HQP settings are at upsampling to dsf128 for everything - into RME dac. Only bothered when in soft passages, particularly classical piano etc.

Range of dsf files sources - sacd from Oppo using mac OSX Sonore + DLs from elsewhere using Sonore to rip isos, plus DLed dsf files etc ...

Got round to investigating & the fix was to change HQP, tickbox from 48x128 to 44.1x128!! But pcm upsampling to dsf & below .wv method were ok.

Bizarrely, dsf files dl-ed in .wv compression & then converted to dsf were fine, playing without issue, as per all pcm. ie iso to dsd extractions from me or others was always problematic.

Explanation? Thoughts?

Maybe simply a mac iso extraction problem? If so, is there another mac extraction solution?

25 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Which version?

Latest on Sonore site ... which always indicates “OSX v1”.