IGNORED

Power amplifier question

I will probably end-up buying a pair of Andrew Jones designed Elac B6.

Accrding to what you can read in various reviews, they seem to benefit from a "generous" amplifier power.

Based on your experience, and maybe on your gutt feeling, what would be the best match in the 1000-2000$ range?

- Odissey Stratos

- Nuprime ST10 (or ST9)

- Wyred4Sound ST500 mkii

- Audio Alchemy DPA-1

- any other suggestion

Thanks

Franz

+1 on the Nord. Fantastic amps at a very reasonable price. Mine now have about 200 hours on them and they keep getting better and better.

Bob

Mac Mini M1 12 volt dc > Roon > HQ Player to DSD 256 > Fibre to EtherRegen w/LPS1.2 and BG7TBL OCXO > Sonore microRendu v1.3 > IsoRegen > Denafrips Iris > i2s  > Denafrips Pontus II > Schiit Freya+ w/ Linlai E-6SN7's >  Nord One Up NCore 500 monoblocks REV D w/SI990Enh op amps > Martin Logan Impression 11A w/ dual Rythmik E15HP2 subs. Supra Cat8, JPS Labs Superconductor+ cables

I tried a pair of monoblocks based on the DIY Hypex NCore 400 modules and am thrilled with them. They're not made by a traditional amp manufacturer, but NAD, Rogue and Merrill Audio and otheres have used them in their designs. They will drive any speaker, are well within your price range, and I've read multiple accounts of audiophiles replacing far more expensive amps with them.

I'm not a DIY person so I bought mine used/already assembled. Here is a link to a reputable service that will build them for you at a reasonable cost.

IMO, they are incredible sounding and an excellent value.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I tried a pair of monoblocks based on the DIY Hypex NCore 400 modules and am thrilled with them. They're not made by a traditional amp manufacturer, but NAD, Rogue and Merrill Audio and otheres have used them in their designs. They will drive any speaker, are well within your price range, and I've read multiple accounts of audiophiles replacing far more expensive amps with them.

I'm not a DIY person so I bought mine used/already assembled. Here is a link to a reputable service that will build them for you at a reasonable cost.

IMO, they are incredible sounding and an excellent value.

The big difference in the Rogue per Mark O'Brien "the big difference being that we only deploy the switching MOS-FETs on the output section of the modules and otherwise we bypass everything on the modules that Hypex supply that everyone else uses—we are not using the Hypex Modules' driver stages or their input stages."

The Truth Is Out There

Darko did a posting on just this question the other day.

I have had a Krell integrated, Belles, Parasound and now an old pair of Stratos. I got them all used and they have all been great but different.

The Krells have a nice attack and precision to them.

The Belles have a liquidity to them that is very pleasant with plenty of power.

The Parasound are neutral but a bit lean. They also offer great support.

The Stratos have this airy quality I just love. Music just seems to float in the air but without losing any image specificity.

Price/Performance I have to give to the Odyssey.

I vote for the Odyssey amps as that is what I have. They have worked well with every single speaker I have owned. If you have room for the mono amps then they are a bit better, the stereo configuration is really very good too. He offers upgrades that use his Kismet line parts, get as many of them as your budget allows if you go that route.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open