IGNORED

AudioQuest DragonFly and Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

Hi Guys - Does anyone know if this device works with the AudioQuest DragonFly connected to an iPhone?

I want to connect this adapter to my iPhone then the DragonFly to the adapter and a lightning power cable to the adapter. Thus, using the DragonFly and not using all my phone battery . charging at the same time.

I know it doesn't say it works with iPhone, but one review says it does.

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 10.41.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 10.41.03 PM.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I tried to do the same thing, for the same reason with my Samsung Android tablet. I plugged my Dragonfly (1.2) into a powered USB hub, and plugged the hub into the tablet. It didn't work. I'm kind of disappointed because the music apps available for Android appear to be much better than the ones for Apple products. I'll probably end up getting a different dac that's either battery powered, or plug in.

I tried to do the same thing, for the same reason with my Samsung Android tablet. I plugged my Dragonfly (1.2) into a powered USB hub, and plugged the hub into the tablet. It didn't work. I'm kind of disappointed because the music apps available for Android appear to be much better than the ones for Apple products. I'll probably end up getting a different dac that's either battery powered, or plug in.

Android is the Wild West when it comes to support for this stuff.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just purchased it and it works great with my iPhone 6 Plus and DragonFly Red, while charging.

Do you find it notably better in sound quality than the sound from the analog output of the iPhone? In your car does it still make a difference?

For sure better than iPhone analog out into headphones. Won't matter in my car system because my head unit turns it back into digital for DSP.

Are you really sure about that iphone analog out. Might be less of a difference than you think.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Android is the Wild West when it comes to support for this stuff.

So far, I haven't had any problems. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but it seems like music apps for Android are much better than what's available for iOS. There's also a lot more to choose from.

For sure better than iPhone analog out into headphones. Won't matter in my car system because my head unit turns it back into digital for DSP.

Thanks. I might have try it...for in the car.

Do you find it the best sounding mini travel DAC out there?

Hi Guys - I just tresting this adapter with my Alpha USB and I was able to output bit perfect audio to my main system no problem. Prior to this adapter, any device that sucked too much power wouldn't work. This is really cool and I can see some imaginative uses for this.

To get it to work with my Alpha USB I had to connect my 10 watt Apple USB charger to the adapter.

I don't envision using an iPhone to output audio to my main system, because I already have NAS drives, Ethernet interfaces, USB DACs, computers, etc.... But, I think there are some cool possible uses for this. I can imagine running Tidal on an iPad Pro connected to an audio system. The iPad Pro would be the only computer type device needed to stream lossless 44.1. In addition, streaming with JRemote works. I was able to get bit perfect 44.1, but when I streamed 96 and 176.4 the DAC said it was receiving the high resolution, but it wasn't bit perfect. I wonder if JRemote was chopping bits somehow or truncating from 24 to 16 bits.

I haven't tested many of these small travel type DACs, but I really like this DragonFly Red.

Thanks. The other one that comes to mind is the Meridian. A while back DM did a nice comparison and the Firefly 1.2 sound was not nearly as good. Did you find the sound quality much improved over the 1.2 version?

Thanks. The other one that comes to mind is the Meridian. A while back DM did a nice comparison and the Firefly 1.2 sound was not nearly as good. Did you find the sound quality much improved over the 1.2 version?

I think the Red version is better than all other DragonFlys. I still need to compare to other devices like the Explorer 2.

Hi guys - I started a dedicated thread about this adapter because the current thread was about a specific compatibility question with it and the AQ DF.

I'm going to close this thread since the question was answered and I don't want to get two threads going at once about the same stuff.

Here's a link - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/apple-lightning-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-3-camera-adapter-and-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-dacs-28676/