IGNORED

More Marantz NA8005 Issues - It appears to be time to give up on it

Besides having to unplug it, and reset it about once a week because it somehow locks up, now the NA8005 will only play the first song when I add all files from an album to the queue. It repeatedly plays the first song, over and over, and I can find no way to stop that. Yes, I have the option to manually select the second song, the third, etc. But that's simply not acceptable.

I had really, really hoped this unit would work out for me, but there are simply too many issues with it. The unfortunate part is that I was just hit with a very significant and completely unexpected financial setback, and the dollars will not likely be there for, several months, at a minimum, to buy an adequate replacement for the Marantz, and, I honestly don't know what that would be. At least not remotely affordably.

So, unfortunately, I am now really without a means of playing music in my upstairs system, which typically sees 3-4 hours of use a day, while working. My gamble on buying the NA8005 seems to have failed badly. :(

JC

Maybe the problem is the software that you run on your server. What do you use?

Is it served by DLNA? What happens if you choose an album using the remote of the NA8005? Use the search function, choose the album, then the first song of that album and the player should be able to play the whole album all through.

I have an NA6005 and I use the remote control bacause my iPad is first gen. so the Marantz remote app does not run on it. I am perfectly happy with it.

Are you running the latest firmware on your Marantz. Also, you provide us with more info on your reproduction change? Are you streaming over network? Is it from a NAS? What webserver? What file format? What about streaming services?

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

I'd start with Marantz support.

Even otherwise with so many options on the device you could always try a different server or app, it might fix things.

If not you can simply introduce a server/streamer in your upstairs system and use the Marantz as purely DAC + amp and without the network functionality. I'm sure it's not what you intend or even want to consider, but honestly if the DAC + amp work really well and Marantz support cannot help, that's always an option too.

Some of us folks are either making do/or intentionally sticking with more vintage amps and still having a good time of it with some of the modern streamers.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I'd start with Marantz support.

Even otherwise with so many options on the device you could always try a different server or app, it might fix things.

If not you can simply introduce a server/streamer in your upstairs system and use the Marantz as purely DAC + amp and without the network functionality. I'm sure it's not what you intend or even want to consider, but honestly if the DAC + amp work really well and Marantz support cannot help, that's always an option too.

Some of us folks are either making do/or intentionally sticking with more vintage amps and still having a good time of it with some of the modern streamers.

You might have misunderstood, the NA8005 is a streamer and DAC, not an amp. If I introduce it to the system solely as what it is, it literally has no function without network connectivity and a NAS, or equivalent storage.

JC

Have you complained to Marantz? They are a reputable company and should be able to make this right. If you do get your money back, the TEAC NR-503 is great (in my experience).

Very sorry for your troubles.

Thanks for the sympathy. The timing is just very bad on this. And usually, I place great trust in Marantz. And I think you mean the Teac NT-503?

JC

The NA8005 is attached to my network, and running Minimserver. It is streaming music from my NAS. I tend to doubt the issue would be software, as it had worked for two months, with the same exact software, without ever having the "first song only, playing issue. I am not aware of whether the firmware on the NA8005 is the latest, but I will check that right away.

JC

Thanks for the sympathy. The timing is just very bad on this. And usually, I place great trust in Marantz. And I think you mean the Teac NT-503?

JC

Yes. Sorry. Typing in the dark.

Still, give Marantz a chance to make it right.

Yes. Sorry. Typing in the dark.

Will do, even though this is a refurb (from Marantz) it's still under full warranty. And no worries, typo's and working in the dark happen to me all the time.

Interestingly, if I manually use the remote to select a ripped cd from the NAS, as suggested above, it does not repeat the first song. However, scrolling manually, on the tiny Marantz screen, through the initial 800 albums I have stored there is just not viable.

JC

You might have misunderstood, the NA8005 is a streamer and DAC, not an amp. If I introduce it to the system solely as what it is, it literally has no function without network connectivity and a NAS, or equivalent storage.

JC

Ah my bad. I thought it was an all in one solution and only needed speakers, thought it was the Marantz version of the CA CXR series.

This would certainly limit options, and what you can do with it. I'd still focus all of my efforts on Marantz support.

PS: Not sure of the terminology... you'd think a wireless/network/USB DAC would make more sense than a network player.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I contacted Marantz support about the network issue in my NA8005 and they told me to send them the unit (at my expense) so they can replace the NIC card. This is after them telling me to try resetting the wifi (which this unit physically does not have).

Not sure if it's really worth that, so I'm thinking about using the 8005's DAC and replacing the streaming aspect with an Aurender Aries that's RoonReady. Unfortunately, the Aries is 2x the price of the NA8005, and does only half as much (no DAC)!!!!

Marantz hit the perfect price point and functionality with this unit, but it appears that it's been orphaned and there's nothing else like it in the market. Sigh.

Good luck with yours, interested to know where you go from here.

-mike

You're referring specifically to Marantz America ? They're an official distributor with their own agenda to maximise sales ? I've mentioned before that my friend, Michael Wildash, had the New Zealand Marantz distribution until 2009.

Will do, even though this is a refurb (from Marantz) it's still under full warranty.

Well, knowing something of how MW did his best to clear odds-and-ends stock, I'd never buy a « refurb (from [any electronics distributor]) » !

Petition for a refund or replacement.

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »