IGNORED

Native DSD versus DOP comparison

40 minutes ago, HenryOHenry said:

Thinking the problem was that my DAC was having problems playing 256 (even though it can handle the other 256 files perfectly), I made sure to buy the 128 version of the Honeck Beethoven 3. But same problem!

Weird thought:  Could you have downloaded the multichannel, rather than the stereo, tracks?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

13 hours ago, ted_b said:

1) Yes, DXD is within the parameters of your DAC specs, so it is capable of playing our DXD downloads.

2) Now, it's easier to flag those that don't play DSD :) )  I will check further.

3) you are lucky to be getting DSD256 via Mac cuz often the Mac driver is only capable of half that speed).  I will ask him also to check. 

1) iFi advertises DXD capability, Grace doesn't, so it was kind of confusing. Thanks for the clarification.

2) Indeed :)

3) I should probably limit myself to 128. But, as I said, I did that with the second file and had the same problem. I sent Jonas an email to see if we can figure out what is going on. 

13 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Weird thought:  Could you have downloaded the multichannel, rather than the stereo, tracks?

Not unless the mixup is on their end. Double checked to make sure.

A9ACEB9C-8B6A-43BE-9E00-9E3922371D36.jpeg

9C2B185F-E6A1-4BA6-9AB9-1A326C0CCFA0.jpeg

Update.

The 256fs file plays perfectly when converted to PCM 176.4, which suggests that the NativeDSD file is not corrupted and that the problem is that my DAC is having a hard time playing it because MacOS DoP requires so much overhead. As to why I am able to play other 256fs files, Jonas suggested that the problem might have to do with the various file sizes. A single track of Bruckner is 27:46 long compared to, say, a 2:58 track on the other DSD files.

The case with the 128fs file is a little more bizarre but might also have to do with file size. So far, I'm only having issues with the first track which, at 16:13, happens to be the longest. All the other tracks play fine. I even managed to play the first track almost flawlessly the last time I tried it. It only gave me a brief hiccup near the end.

No problems playing 64fs files.

In short, it looks like I need a better DAC. I wanted to post this since I have previously speculated that the problem might lie with NativeDSD's file, but that does not seem to be case. 

HenryOHenry, thanks for clearing that up, and being proactive about clearing any NativeDSD misconceptions.  That was nice of you.

I am not convinced it is your dac, but maybe rather MacOS.  I bet these tracks do fine in Windows or Linux, where DoP overhead is not needed.  Unless, of course, you need a dac excuse  :)  I've always enjoyed coming up with them  :)

Ted

Thanks for the reply, Ted. What I meant was that my DAC was insufficient because of the Mac overhead. The DAC only supports sample rates up to 384 kHz and my understanding is that to play DSD256 you need one that can handle 705.6. Is that your understanding as well? I would rather replace the DAC than switch to Windows.

• 4 months later...
On 5/3/2016 at 8:33 PM, barrows said:

As far as I am concerned the only "disadvantage" for DoP is that it requires high rate PCM capability for those who want to be able to playback high rate DSD files: DSD 64 requires a 176.4 PCM package, DSD 128 requires a 352.8 PCM package, and DSD 256 requires a 705.6 PCM package. Not a lot of DACs can do 705.6 PCM, so DSD 256 delivery is generally limited to Native DSD streams.

Other than the above limitation, there is NO downside to DoP, as the "extra processing" required is negligible. "Packing" DoP is not like oversampling and filtering, which does require significant processing. I checked this on my Mac: using Jriver to send DoP DSD 128 required no more CPU activity than playing back native 24/96 PCM files.

If the processing power to unpack DSD on my MacBook Pro is virtually nil, I'm wondering where the problems are coming from. I can play DXD with no problem, but DSD is an issue. I can play up to DSD 256 when the tracks are short, but I listen to a lot of classical music where a single track can easily exceed 20 minutes. With these longer tracks, I can only play DSD 64. I assumed it was a CPU limitation. So now I want to upgrade my base-model Intel MBP (2017 2.3 GHz 8 GB RAM/121 GB SSD) to one that will play at least DSD 128 with no problems. What should I be looking for as making a difference? Does the M1 chip make any difference?

• 4 weeks later...