IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

Firmware Q has been released which is supposed to fix the DOP problem on non-USB inputs.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

4 hours ago, ufoerp said:

One local user has reported that there is abnormal noise on left channel on USB port on firmware Q. Not sure if this is single case?

this abnormal noise will happen when play flac/wav music file using USB port. Not sure if this is individual case or not?

8 minutes ago, ufoerp said:

this abnormal noise will happen when play flac/wav music file using USB port. Not sure if this is individual case or not?

I haven't tried the update yet so can't comment. Noise on the USB input sounds like it would be pretty hard not to notice before release of firmware.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

6 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

I haven't tried the update yet so can't comment. Noise on the USB input sounds like it would be pretty hard not to notice before release of firmware.

It appears that the version we uploaded for download had an odd compilation error that caused the noise described.  We reuploaded the firmware just now without changing anything, and now the downloaded firmware is behaving normally.  Really an odd problem that I don't have much explanation for beyond that, but it should be resolved.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the price of the Net2 upgrade? Considering that or going with the USB2 upgrade for 850usd. Currently using Aurender W20 with the USB1. Given the rave reviews of the NET2, I am slightly tempted to go with the Net2 and finally getting a roon subscription. 

4 hours ago, gtl said:

Given the rave reviews of the NET2, I am slightly tempted to go with the Net2 and finally getting a roon subscription. 

You might be disappointed with the sound quality of Roon compared to your W20.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HifiVoice said:

Just for learning, how can you optimise an iMac for Roon? 

It’s more like optimizing the Mac for single purpose use. This means turning off every nonessential process, both by closing apps and going into the OS. It means running an operation that makes sure Roon or whatever program is important is always given priority (Roon may already include a routine for this.) There may need to be things like increasing ram and various other mods. There are lots of threads and articles on this site about that very thing. 

There are also suppliers who custom build computers for audio use that have been designed from the ground up to leave out all the things that would be needed in a general purpose computer as well as taking steps to isolate the circuitry from both electrical and mechanical noise. Roon makes such devices but li have not compared them with other specialty computers. I’m sure somebody here has.

38 minutes ago, scottsol said:

It’s more like optimizing the Mac for single purpose use. This means turning off every nonessential process, both by closing apps and going into the OS. It means running an operation that makes sure Roon or whatever program is important is always given priority (Roon may already include a routine for this.) There may need to be things like increasing ram and various other mods. There are lots of threads and articles on this site about that very thing. 

It's an iMac with 8x i9 cores, where the max load of ROON is 8%, and the RAAT process also hits a max of 10% so now and then.

38 minutes ago, scottsol said:

There are also suppliers who custom build computers for audio use that have been designed from the ground up to leave out all the things that would be needed in a general purpose computer as well as taking steps to isolate the circuitry from both electrical and mechanical noise. Roon makes such devices but li have not compared them with other specialty computers. I’m sure somebody here has.

I know about these effect, a friend of mine is making his own audio streamer (on a PC), trying to compete with JPlay. When he schedules threads differently, kills all sort of background processes, or changes packet lengths to the USB interface, all has some audible effects. But here the case is that the PC USB interface is directly connected to the DAC, and there it may make sense (e.g. ground bounce issues due to different loads on the power supply).  

As the iMac is streaming its info through an ethernet wire to my router, and the router streams it to the Aurender or the amplifier, I don't expect that threads on the iMac are influencing the audio stream in a way that it causes potential jitter effect at the destination. This stream is bit-true, and if it is about jitter, it will be caused somewhere else.

The only thing I can imagine is that the Airplay protocol to the Aurender (when using ROON via the Aurender), may be subject to sample rate conversion between separate processes on the iMac, as e.g. the process steering the ethernet interface may run at a different speed than the audio generating process of ROON, and the way the audio drivers in OS-X work imply sample-rate conversion may occur (I talked to the guys of Rogue Amoebe about it). I did some experiment grabbing audio with Audio Hijack with different source streams, and I did see quite some shifts in timing with ROON compared to the original audio file. I'm still defining some experiments to deep-dive in here, as I cannot exclude side effects with what I have done so far. Maybe a nice experiment for Xmas times. 

Nevertheless, having a computer (or NAS) as a streaming device is for me a common use case, and if I have to create dedicated cores/streamers to get ROON behaviour on-par with an Aurender, then why not use an Aurender? :-) If in the common use-case it fails, it is not practical. 

My hope is to get it as good or close to the direct streaming of ROON to the EX-8,  to be able to exclude the QB-9 and Aurender, and only have 1 device between my source files and loudspeakers. I had some PM conversations with Ayre about it, and I have all the hope it will get close or even better. 

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 09.13.52.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 09.14.32.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/20/2022 at 5:50 AM, Ryan Berry said:

It appears that the version we uploaded for download had an odd compilation error that caused the noise described.  We reuploaded the firmware just now without changing anything, and now the downloaded firmware is behaving normally.  Really an odd problem that I don't have much explanation for beyond that, but it should be resolved.

Ryan, any new plan of Ayre product upgrade or new model?

1 hour ago, Mercman said:

I guess Ryan will be joining him.

What makes you say that?

11 hours ago, Mercman said:

Brent is working at Auralic. I guess Ryan will be joining him.

I think the possibility will be relatively low for Ryan to Join Auralic. As I understand, Auralic R&D and product design is not in US? I believe Ryan will lead R&D and product design as big picture of one brand.