IGNORED

SSD Power

Try the short as possible SATA 3 6GB/s SATA cables with their 2 internal screened cables. Many computers have far too long generic SATA cables with their 7 side by side non screened wires.

I use 25CM SATA 3 6GB/s cables in my PC with improved results.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

In computer world, timing is important, hence they have clocks every where.

In digital audio, timing seems to be everything and more. Small difference in timing generated by anything...seems to smear the audio frequencies, be it tiny, perhaps truncating sound bits or cutting their amplitudes off, etc.

Providing a lesser sound. Better cables and shorter cables will possibly limit this distortions and give better sound. Such cables that can shield or provide less interferences will in turn also provide better sound signature.

Somewhere in there 'less is not necessary better'. No SATA cable does not mean better sound? So good cable in any form is good (lol) adding a better signature to the sound.....but my view is that this could be the last mile, once every thing else has been polished?

My 2c.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Using a separate psu to power the ssd makes more sense I think

I use both the short 25cm SATA 3 6GB/s cables, and feed the OS and Music SSD +12V from the internal SMPS via separate 12V to 5V voltage regulators followed by very low noise shunt regulators.

(Typically 4uV noise and very low output impedance.)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Can anyone shed some light on whether it is beneficial to use an upgraded Sata cable (Jcat et al) when powering an internal SSD with external LPSU?.

Hi Elescher

I have the HDPlex 300W ATX PSU and noticed an improvement replacing OS and internal music SSD SATA cables with 6" shielded SATA3 cables. To my ear less grain, more liquid texture.

I have also tried a friend's JCAT SATA cable on the music ssd and was surprised with the benefit,similar to above.The cable however is incompatible with some MOBOS, drives etc and Windows (10) not always recognizing the attached ssd.Disastrous if it is the boot ssd.JCAT has brought out a V2 version supposedly fixing this and there are some BIOS tweaks that might help. They declined to swap the V1 for a fixed V2 and I think items of this cost ought to come with a 12 month warranty.

My friend has just ordered Pachanko SATA cables. So there will soon be a comparison between the different cables.

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Thanks all for opinions. I have the Jcat on the way. I must confess I was a little confused as to which cable actually provides power and which signal. I am running a Linux OS with latest 6700i, Nvidia 980Ti, Roon, HQ, Jcat USB card, Uptone JS-2, EnKlein USB cables, Wyred4sound RUR, Lampi GG DAC. Oh and the other thingamajig isolator. Thanks again.

Hi Elescher

I have the HDPlex 300W ATX PSU and noticed an improvement replacing OS and internal music SSD SATA cables with 6" shielded SATA3 cables. To my ear less grain, more liquid texture.

I have also tried a friend's JCAT SATA cable on the music ssd and was surprised with the benefit,similar to above.The cable however is incompatible with some MOBOS, drives etc and Windows (10) not always recognizing the attached ssd.Disastrous if it is the boot ssd.JCAT has brought out a V2 version supposedly fixing this and there are some BIOS tweaks that might help. They declined to swap the V1 for a fixed V2 and I think items of this cost ought to come with a 12 month warranty.

My friend has just ordered Pachanko SATA cables. So there will soon be a comparison between the different cables.

David

I posted here about the JCAT (been using it in my former Zuma pc for past 2 years, V1 of course) and that I just got it to work with Win 10 Pro and my Gigabyte bios. I assumed it was crimped and damaged, but just not quite compatible until I disabled a couple SATA settings like LPM. And yes, I have it as my boot (OS) SSD, so hope it is reliable, but worst case I can get into my case rather easily and replace with shitty stick cable if needed. It makes a big difference.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/design-pc-server-roon-and-hq-player-25796/index6.html#post537406