IGNORED

Maybe the dumbest networking question ever

If I were to buy a CD player with a network (Ethernet) input, could I connect the Ethernet output jack from my MacBook Pro directly to the CD player's network input and play my iTunes files through the CD player? (My setup is fairly simple; I currently just use iTunes, with the library residing on my MBP's hard drive.) Please forgive my ignorance! THANK YOU!

-Bob

Depends upon the CD player. For example, an Oppo 105 can do that. Most cannot.

Which CD player were you looking at?

-Paul

If I were to buy a CD player with a network (Ethernet) input, could I connect the Ethernet output jack from my MacBook Pro directly to the CD player's network input and play my iTunes files through the CD player? (My setup is fairly simple; I currently just use iTunes, with the library residing on my MBP's hard drive.) Please forgive my ignorance! THANK YOU!

-Bob

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks very much, Paul. I haven't researched the entire universe of choices, but two I have found are the:

Tascam CD-240

Product: CD-240 | TASCAM

And the Yamaha CD-N500

CD-N500 - CD Players - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

I'm not absolutely sure this would, if it's possible, be the way I want to go. Just investigating various possibilities. Thanks again.

-Bob

P.S. Probably should have added almost all my files are ALAC.

Thanks very much, Paul. I haven't researched the entire universe of choices, but two I have found are the:

Tascam CD-240

Product: CD-240 | TASCAM

And the Yamaha CD-N500

CD-N500 - CD Players - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

I'm not absolutely sure this would, if it's possible, be the way I want to go. Just investigating various possibilities. Thanks again.

-Bob

P.S. Probably should have added almost all my files are ALAC.

I think you could make that work with either of those units. I rather like that Tascam myself, but I do not know how it sounds. :)

Robert A. Heinlein

If I were to buy a CD player with a network (Ethernet) input, could I connect the Ethernet output jack from my MacBook Pro directly to the CD player's network input and play my iTunes files through the CD player?
What's your reason for wanting this direct wired network setup between the two devices, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, are you proposing to use the MacBook Pro's wireless connection at all, at the same time as the wired one to the CD player?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks plissken and Paul. I'm also thinking in terms of "the last CD player I'll ever buy," and Tascam touts the industrial-strength quality of their mechanisms for long-term reliability. Of course, sound quality must be considered, too!

-Bob

If you are really thinking of the "the last CD player I'll ever buy" - you really really should look at the Oppo 105d. I have one and have zero urge to upgrade off it. Also does couple duty as a Blurry and DVD player, DAC, and wireless endpoint. ;)

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105D-Overview.aspx

Robert A. Heinlein

What's your reason for wanting this direct wired network setup between the two devices, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, are you proposing to use the MacBook Pro's wireless connection at all, at the same time as the wired one to the CD player?

Hi Cebolia,

Long story short, my listening room/layout is really not suited for the long cable run I'd have to use if I went from router to computer. I'd rather just move my MBP close to my audio system when I listen. The only wireless use I'd have at the same time is the Internet connection via my Airport Express. (I'm obviously a novice at this, but hope I've answered your questions.) Thanks very much.

-Bob

Would not a USB CD player be an easier solution, they are more plentiful, as are inexpensive USB DACs.

Hi Neal,

Yes, a CD player with USB input would probably be easier. But I'm curious in the event I find a CD player I want that does not have a USB input but does have a network input. Also, I'm just plain curious. I'm guessing my question does not have an easy yes-or-no answer! THANKS.

-Bob

Hello,

I'm not sure I am following how using such a configuration would allow you to listen to music. Are you thinking of creating a "Share" on the MBP which will hold all your music files and then setup the Ethernet enabled CD Player to point to that "Share" on the MBP? I would imagine that if this is the intended usage then the CD Player would need to have a way to Index/Catalog and manage the content found within the "Share" and then also provide some means for you to access and manage playback of that content, preferably remotely.

If the above is not the intended usage then I don't see how this would even work at all unless the CD Player was also a DAC that can use Ethernet as one of its Input ports but in that configuration I'm not sure how you would tell the MBP to use it as an Audio Output Device.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me an easier way to go would be to buy a CD Player that can also be used as a outboard DAC (like the Oppo previously mentioned) and connect it to the MBP via USB. Is it safe to assume you also have a Preamp that this CP Player would plug into? If not than another consideration would be that the CD Player used would need to have built-in Preamp/Volume control capabilities so you can plug it directly into your amps.

Thanks so much cjf.

Okay, I'm WAY out of my depth here. I was simply curious to know whether it was possible to directly connect an MBP via Ethernet to a CD player with an Ethernet input, double click on a file in iTunes and hear music. (In my case, the CD player would be connected to an integrated amp -> speakers.) I really appreciate everyone's comments, but it seems I'd have to learn a lot more to understand what you kind folks are talking about. THANK YOU!

-Bob

Why the need for a CD player? Seeing its intended use is only as a DAC, I'd be inclined to look for a DAC with ethernet input. Or simply use Toslink optical to DAC, the 3.5mm headphone audio will also support mini Toslink.

Or many NAA type of devices that will fit the bill nicely, but will need an external DAC.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Thanks so much cjf.

Okay, I'm WAY out of my depth here. I was simply curious to know whether it was possible to directly connect an MBP via Ethernet to a CD player with an Ethernet input, double click on a file in iTunes and hear music. (In my case, the CD player would be connected to an integrated amp -> speakers.) I really appreciate everyone's comments, but it seems I'd have to learn a lot more to understand what you kind folks are talking about. THANK YOU!

-Bob

Hello,

No need to be discouraged. Looking at the Tascom CD Player it seems it could be used to playback music but you would need to change your approach of connectivity slightly to do so.

1. You could use an iPhone connected to its front port

OR

2. You could use the USB Output on your MBP

In order to use the Ethernet you would need to have a NAS (network storage device) with DLNA capabilities where you would store your music files. It looks like the CD Player does have an App for the phone to control music playback.

There are some benefits to having a CD Player that also acts as a DAC for the times when you just want to drop a CD in the tray and play music. There has been more than one occasion in my own case where I wish I had such a device so I can see the draw to wanting to use a device with these capabilities.

I think where you're getting confused about this is that Ethernet is not like USB in that you don't typically push data down the wire and the receiving device just recognizes the music stream and plays it. Now you could get a crossover cable to hook up directly between the CD player and MacBook but there really wouldn't be any purpose since you would still need to open an SMB file share on the Mac or some sort of DLNA media server so the CD player could access the file system. But there's really no advantage over appoint appoint cable then there is connecting it through your router over a longer distance. If a longer cable run is your issue just get some Netgear Powerline adapters and utilize your homes electrical wiring to extend your network from your router to the CD player.