IGNORED

Is there any OS X upnp control-point software that doesn't suck?

wgscott, Sorry if you already stated so, but back in OSX, did you download the "Openhome Player" app and run have it running it on the mac when you try to open the IOS Open Home control points that are giving you trouble(e.g. Kazoo, Lumin)?

After Cebolla's suggestion, I've got them both working fine but only one at a time. Like you said, trouble ensues when you try a 2nd control point app via tablet or phone without a total shutdown/reboot of everything. To get Kazoo working, I shutdown all, then reboot NAS, restart Mimimserver & BubbleUPnP Server on NAS, reboot mac & start OpenHome Player, then reboot ipad and start Kazoo. Same with Lumin, which is a winner for my personal preferences including AlbumArtist sorting.

Hope I'm not just restating the obvious, but some of the technical aspects of this thread are beyond me.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

wgscott, Sorry if you already stated so, but back in OSX, did you download the "Openhome Player" app and run have it running it on the mac when you try to open the IOS Open Home control points that are giving you trouble(e.g. Kazoo, Lumin)?

Sorry, only saw this now. Just tried it and it works as a proof that OH streaming is working ok. (It doesn't address how to control the Teac thought). I think putting this on an un-used Rasburry Pi for the bedroom system would be fun.

After Cebolla's suggestion, I've got them both working fine but only one at a time. Like you said, trouble ensues when you try a 2nd control point app via tablet or phone without a total shutdown/reboot of everything. To get Kazoo working, I shutdown all, then reboot NAS, restart Mimimserver & BubbleUPnP Server on NAS, reboot mac & start OpenHome Player, then reboot ipad and start Kazoo. Same with Lumin, which is a winner for my personal preferences including AlbumArtist sorting.

Hope I'm not just restating the obvious, but some of the technical aspects of this thread are beyond me.

Thanks for confirming. I knew stuff was getting screwed up, but I just assumed it was user error. I guess it really is a limitation of the protocol.

• 1 month later...

It seems Pono's OS X player software works (almost) perfectly (and presumably Jriver would as well). Right now I am trying to figure out how to keep it from downsampling to mp3. But the controls all work right out of the box.

It seems Pono's OS X player software works (almost) perfectly (and presumably Jriver would as well). Right now I am trying to figure out how to keep it from downsampling to mp3. But the controls all work right out of the box.

Pono's software is defaulting or somehow downsampling to mp3? That is ironic beyond belief. Just saw Neil & a Pono on with Stephen Colbert. His "Toblerone" would never do that!

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Pono's software is defaulting or somehow downsampling to mp3? That is ironic beyond belief. Just saw Neil & a Pono on with Stephen Colbert. His "Toblerone" would never do that!

The DLNA setup procedure (once I turned off DLNA and turned it back on again) has you choose from various options. I also don't think you can generalize from what it might or might not have defaulted to for DLNA playback to my networked TEAC DAC. (I may have previously screwed up the settings while messing around with Pono or a JRiver demo.) I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this.

In any case, the OS X free Pono softare, which is basically a version of Jriver, now works as a upnp control-point.

The DLNA setup procedure (once I turned off DLNA and turned it back on again) has you choose from various options. I also don't think you can generalize from what it might or might not have defaulted to for DLNA playback to my networked TEAC DAC. (I may have previously screwed up the settings while messing around with Pono or a JRiver demo.) I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this.

In any case, the OS X free Pono softare, which is basically a version of Jriver, now works as a upnp control-point.

I am glad it is working well for some purpose. :)

Mostly due to my idea of the type of UI I like vs. the developers', I only use it in the one situation in which I'm forced to do so, downloading new music from Pono. Transferring any other music to my Pono is for me far quicker and easier with good old drag and drop.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Taking my own thread off-topic here: Do you like your Pono player? I need something for the car, ideally with expandable storage space. (My iPod classic got stolen a couple of years ago. Never leave stuff in view in your car in a town full of heroin addicts.)

Taking my own thread off-topic here: Do you like your Pono player? I need something for the car, ideally with expandable storage space. (My iPod classic got stolen a couple of years ago. Never leave stuff in view in your car in a town full of heroin addicts.)

I really like the sound quality a lot, and it's convenient to use in the car for me.

MassDrop has very reasonable 128GB microSD cards every so often.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

No

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

• 1 month later...

I don't think I mentioned this before... but another option is to run a LMS server and add the Announce: UPnPBridge = integrate UPnP/DLNA players with LMS (squeeze2upnp) . Control is then via any Squeezebox controller such as iPeng or using the web interface.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 11 months later...
On 02/07/2017 at 7:41 AM, wgscott said:

I'm going down this rabbit hole again ....

Is this going to be a regular annual thing?

How about the Creation C5 app?

Supports gapless (if you enable it in info/settings), the volume control works and so does the track position slider. However, its funky layout might take some getting used to and watch out for the ads in the free version!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox