IGNORED

Why use a NAS instead of a MacMini?

I'm looking to set up an entry-level (but upgradable) music server. It seems like a lot of people here use the Mac Mini.

But I already have a Macbook Pro and an Airport Express. My question is: should I get a NAS and direct iTunes to it, or should I get a Mac Mini, attach an external HD, and control it with my iphone?

My MacBook is always on, but I want to keep it mobile and wireless, not tethered to my stereo.

The NAS seems like the cheaper route: something like a WD MyBook World or something quieter. Then I could stream from the Airport Express to a DAC (yet to be purchased, looking at the Pacific Valve Fathom). Is there any reason why I should get the Mac Mini instead? I'm trying to keep all this less than $800 or so.

Thanks so much!

There are countless reasons to go either direction. As one reader here on CA said, "It's like a prescription." Taking all the variables into consideration can be tough, but nonetheless we all give it a shot.

The easiest thing to do would be to by the NAS you mentioned and the AirportExpress. If you are unhappy with the performance or the usability you can pick up a Mini and use the NAS drive you already have to store the music.

Reasons to get the Mini

Direct connection to the DAC rules out some performance issues like dropouts and can increase sound quality in certain systems.

You already have a MacBook Pro that allows you to use screen sharing to control the Mini remotely if an iPhone or iPod Touch doesn't thrill you

The Mini could be used as a dedicated music server. There is much to be said about not running all kinds of applications on a music server.

There are many more reasons supporting both, but I can't recall any at this moment. Fortunately others should be chiming in shortly.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I was using a Macbook Pro as music server, and Airport Express (also Apple TV) for wireless transmission to my DAC for 'convenience' listening, and I used a 4.5m Firewire cable for direct connection (due to better sound quality of Firewire versus Toslink). Also I occasionally had dropouts with the wireless, but that was solved moving to 802.11N.

I recently added a 'headless' Mac Mini (as Chris suggested) and am controlling it from a Macbook Air (aka the ultimate 'remote').

I was also accessing my external hard drive (for most music) wirelessly via the Airdisk feature when I used the Macbook Pro, as it was quite inconvenient to connect MBP to external disk and DAC just to listen to music.

My current configuration is very high quality, and uses no wireless - except for Screen Sharing - or when I use the Macbook Air to play 'sounds' from the internet via Airtunes to the Apple TV.

Mac Mini is connected directly to the external disk (which can be accessed from the Macbook Pro or Macbook Air wirelessly via Home Sharing) and also directly to the ULN-2 via 1m Firewire.

No keyboard, no mouse, just a dedicated music server sitting next to my DAC. I'd look for a 'refurbished' Mac Mini in the Apple Store. Refurbished is a euphemism for 'closeout'. With the new model introductions, they'll be selling the previous model at lower prices soon.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

FWIW, there's no need to order the faster processor, or even more memory unless you know you plan to run Amarra, for which SOnic recommends 4Gb RAM.

OTOH, the Macbook Pro is fine sounding for music playback, it's just that it's strength - portability - is also it's weakness.

I personally think the Apple TV is an even bigger bargain than the Airport Express, if you decide NOT to get a Mini. It functions as an Airtunes Client, just like the Airport Express, and also allows direct playback of music files stored on it (via remote / Front Row), plus video storage/playback, photo display on your monitor, etc. It also accepts full size Toslink cables, and probably sounds a bit better - due to the extreme size limitations of the Airport Express design.

There's no bad choice here, in my view.

clay

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies, Chris and Clay! I'll watch to see if Apple sells some old Mac Minis, now that the new one is out. If not, it's great to know that if I start with just a NAS, I can always use it with the Mini, if I decide to build.

• 8 months later...

Hi Chris,

I am running iTunes on my HP laptop, windows 7, via USB into my Benchmark HDR. I wish to move to a remote controlled server whereby my laptop is no longer required as my server and to secure a solid & reliable backup system for my music files.

I have thought of going about this with a Sonos ZP90, a 1T Buffalo NAS drive with iTunes files on the NAS drive and a Sonos or iPod controller.

Or, a MAC Mini using its hard drive for iTunes files and a NAS backup drive.

Or, as above with a Raid 5 backup system.

Sound quality, file security and remote control are primary.

Any suggestion in how to go about this will be gratefully received?

Bill

Bill[br]Old HP Laptop. Benchmark HDR DAC1, McIntosh MC-275 (Treasure KT88Z tubes), McIntosh MR-71 tuner, Rogers Studio Monitor II speakers. Denon AH-D7000 headphones.