IGNORED

When is Dirac going to be updated?

I just installed the 1.2 beta and had some serious problems. When opening the DAP am getting an error message "failed to connect to dirac processor device" and the calibration tools cannot open previously saved targets. Looks like the program is looking for the targets in the projects folder (tried saving a new target and this is where it put it).

I sent Flavio at Dirac an email re these issues. Have not heard back yet.

I really wish they would move past the beta stage for the Audirvana plug-in. Works ok but still has a few bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually anticipating a release date is not a good idea... we are working on fixing all issues but all I can do right now is thank all beta testers 'cause they make the process faster.

Thanks for their time to all beta testers :)

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Just received a Meridian Explorer2, but Dirac can not output MQA files???

Usually anticipating a release date is not a good idea... we are working on fixing all issues but all I can do right now is thank all beta testers 'cause they make the process faster.

Thanks for their time to all beta testers :)

Flavio

What has changed in version 1.1 to 1.2? Any reason to upgrade?

That's a good question. But one reason for an update are new OS versions (e.g. OS 10.11.4) where Dirac 1.1 goes on strike. In my opinion users/purchasers of such an exclusively priced piece of software have the right to receive updates on time when a new OS is anticipated or at least close to the OS release and not let them in limbo nearly a year later as is the case with Dirac now. I don't want to assume that the people at Dirac just don't care about their customers.

What has changed in version 1.1 to 1.2? Any reason to upgrade?

The 1.1 calibration software used to crash on my PC when searching for devices, 1.2 does not. Unfortunately 1.2 doesn't have the VST plugins so I have to use the 1.2 calibrator with the 1.1 VST!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Just received a Meridian Explorer2, but Dirac can not output MQA files???

Well doesn't MQA require a "bit perfect" output? As DIrAC is deliberately processing the signal not be passed.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Well doesn't MQA require a "bit perfect" output? As DIrAC is deliberately processing the signal not be passed.

This is another of the many, many unanswered questions about MQA. I am not at all clear whether it could eventually coexist with Dirac or some other EQ (without introducing undesirable extra d-a-d-a conversions). I also wonder if it could deliver its claimed "advantages" with a non-MQA DAC via, say, PC processing in a special "plug in" program prior to the DAC and/or the EQ. For now, it would appear that MQA and EQ are incompatible, at least in terms of getting full hi rez MQA playback.

I am not optimistic about the prospects. But, I am absolutely not giving up my EQ. So, unless and until all this is worked out consistently and reliably, MQA will remain just a curiousity to me.

This is another of the many, many unanswered questions about MQA. I am not at all clear whether it could eventually coexist with Dirac or some other EQ (without introducing undesirable extra d-a-d-a conversions). I also wonder if it could deliver its claimed "advantages" with a non-MQA DAC via, say, PC processing in a special "plug in" program prior to the DAC and/or the EQ. For now, it would appear that MQA and EQ are incompatible, at least in terms of getting full hi rez MQA playback.

I am not optimistic about the prospects. But, I am absolutely not giving up my EQ. So, unless and until all this is worked out consistently and reliably, MQA will remain just a curiousity to me.

My understanding is that it will be possible to decode MQA files (to 24/192 for example) in software. But the special MQA filtering is exclusive to MQA DACs (in a similar way to HDCD filtering).

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

My understanding is that it won't.

Bob Stuart has said software decoding will come ... Eventually!

Eloise

---

The way Dirac works is to set itself up as as a virtual output device (which then pipes its output into the real audio output device). As long as the decoding precedes the Dirac audio processor, why would Dirac treat this any different from any other input data stream?

The way Dirac works is to set itself up as as a virtual output device (which then pipes its output into the real audio output device). As long as the decoding precedes the Dirac audio processor, why would Dirac treat this any different from any other input data stream?

Still a lot of questions about exactly what MQA does and how it does it. From what little I know, MQA seems to have two main parts to the processing it wants to do on the playback side of things for hi rez playback:

1. unpack the hi rez data into a "normal" hi rez PCM data stream

2. correct the time domain response for the DAC in use.

The first, though complex, seems well understood, and it could be done straightforwardly in software prior to EQ. It would also work without EQ, delivering hi rez to any DAC, although without MQA filtering. If this is what you mean by "decoding", I agree.

The second is somewhat murkier. My best guess is you would still need an MQA-capable DAC to get the benefits of MQA time domain filtering, no matter what. Offhand, this ought to work with or without EQ, but you still need to do step 1. in software ahead of any EQ.

I do not think they would want to get into "pre equalizing" or "pre distorting" the signal in software prior to EQ such that a non-MQA DAC could provide all the time domain filtering benefits of MQA and its proprietary, DAC-specific time domain filtering. And, if they did do that pre-EQ, as you suggest, that might be messed up by contention with the Room EQ filtering, such as Dirac.

This question of "pre equalizing" in PC software to compensate for known time domain filtering issues of the specific DAC in use is really separate from the EQ discussion. It seems conceptually possible to do it, but I suspect they would not do it. They would rather you bought an MQA-licensed DAC. But, if, hypothetically, it were done, I think it would have to be done after the EQ, not before.