IGNORED

New Rasberry Pi Announced. Is this news?

BTW... You seemed to have missed something in your comments. What DAC are you using and how is it hooked up to a Pi?

Schiit Gungnir Multibit and the Modi 2 Uber.

I'm using Chromecast Audio. MinimServer + BubbleUPnP Server wireless streaming to CCA, connected to DAC via optical Toslink.

So the Pi itself is wireless (or rather physically connected to external HDD and NAS). The music itself is sent wireless to Google Chromecast Audio and then via optical Toslink to the DACs. CCA is limited to 24/96, but not an issue as my collection of over 2000 audio CDs is 16/44.1 and ripped to FLAC.

That said I've heard the HiFiBerry Digi+ with an LPS and it kills it too (especially with the addition of LPS). I've not heard the Pi with USB Regen though, so not sure how that will go. But Pi via 3.5mm analog, HDMI to AVR, and USB to DAC all left me wanting.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Schiit Gungnir Multibit and the Modi 2 Uber.

I'm using Chromecast Audio. MinimServer + BubbleUPnP Server wireless streaming to CCA, connected to DAC via optical Toslink.

So the Pi itself is wireless (or rather physically connected to external HDD and NAS). The music itself is sent wireless to Google Chromecast Audio and then via optical Toslink to the DACs. CCA is limited to 24/96, but not an issue as my collection of over 2000 audio CDs is 16/44.1 and ripped to FLAC.

That said I've heard the HiFiBerry Digi+ with an LPS and it kills it too (especially with the addition of LPS). I've not heard the Pi with USB Regen though, so not sure how that will go. But Pi via 3.5mm analog, HDMI to AVR, and USB to DAC all left me wanting.

Interesting setup. Have not played with the Chrome Cast. Not a big fan of wireless or Toslink actually. I use a fiber network. Are you using a glass Toslink cable?

Regards

Bob

Interesting setup. Have not played with the Chrome Cast. Not a big fan of wireless or Toslink actually. I use a fiber network. Are you using a glass Toslink cable?

Regards

Bob

Yup, Lifatec and its a huge improvement over standard. Have not tried anything more exotic.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Technically you could dispense with the CCA especially in light of the Pi 3 having onboard WiFi.

However, the CCA is a huge game changer for streaming services. I use it for Spotify, Tidal, iHeartRadio, plus a ton more, and also a couple for podcasts. Takes out the need for an AVR or even a boombox with FM. It has a decent DAC and plays nice with anything with a 3.5mm input, portable speakers, etc. And it does not take anything away from the SQ even in a high end setup using Toslink.

I read somewhere that it's possible to build a Raspberry Pi Streamer, with a touchscreen and a simple UI. So a not headless streamer? Sorry for all the noob questions but I am new to this and English isn't my first language..

Otherwise I will go the MPD way...

Yes, with software like Volumio or RuneAudio, this is exactly what you do. Both are based on MPD. MPD is a daemon (comparable to a Windows Service), so MPD on its own won't do much. It lacks a layer for user to interact with it. Programmes like Volumio and RuneAudio provide that layer.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Just want to chime in. I've been using Pi2 (moode) as WIFI streamer connected via USB to my Peachtree nova220se integrated w/DAC. Files are all stored on Synology NAS on home network. It has handled everything I've thrown at it so far nary a glitch (up to and including 24/192). I have been alternating between the standard power supply that came with the Pi and an Anker battery. I was quite impressed with the the sound quality. Not as impressive as using my MacBook Pro w/Audirvana, but impressive for its size, etc.

So last night, I took delivery of W4S Recovery. Connected it straight away using the supplied power supply. I have a Furutech ADL Formula 2 USB cable from Pi to Recovery and an Audio Sensibility Silver Statement USB (which is tremendous value USB cable folks) from Recovery to Peachtree. The sounds, out of the box, was transformative. I have to do a little more comparison, but it has taken the Pi to next level sonics. I may end up leaving the Pi in my chain and retiring the MacBook to the office.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

@Pepsican

Thanks for this very basic info... This cleared things up for me.

So the plan is now to build a all in one with touchscreen, Linear power subly, USB DAC (mojo), SSD powered by a anker powerbank( the second output can power mojo, maybe).

Hope this works out. I am a little concerned about the Ethernet USB issue... Since mojo s magic heavily roots in time domain improvements.

Also don't want wlan for this project.. At least not always. Can the pi3 wlan be turned of?

Could I exchange the Pi for a Odroid in this scenario or is it a whole different story... Meaning no touchscreen implementation is possible and I need different software?

@guerph

Intersting to hear.

I was planing to implement a USB decrapyfier as well, but wasn't sure if it would improve mojo s performance.

I even placed an order for a Curious HUGO Link to connect mojo to the jitterbuged phone.

But Rob Woodland (Curious CEO) told me that he wasn't to happy with my plan to use with a phone and suggested I reevaluate my setup.

This broad me to the DIY server route.

What I wanted to say is that I read a review of the W4S Recovery on DAR where it is also tested with a curious cable. Definitely interesting stuff.

Fighting Fit USB Audio From The Wyred4Sound Recovery | DAR__KO

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I can honestly say, that after doing some tests with Pi2 (running moode), streaming over wifi (not ethernet) sounds better than same file playing through Audirvana on my MBP. I keep wanting trying to find reasons to dislike the Pi, but keep coming back to it. Introducing the Recovery between Pi and DAC only improved things.

• 1 month later...
@Pepsican

Thanks for this very basic info... This cleared things up for me.

So the plan is now to build a all in one with touchscreen, Linear power subly, USB DAC (mojo), SSD powered by a anker powerbank( the second output can power mojo, maybe).

Hope this works out. I am a little concerned about the Ethernet USB issue... Since mojo s magic heavily roots in time domain improvements.

Also don't want wlan for this project.. At least not always. Can the pi3 wlan be turned of?

Could I exchange the Pi for a Odroid in this scenario or is it a whole different story... Meaning no touchscreen implementation is possible and I need different software?

@guerph

Intersting to hear.

I was planing to implement a USB decrapyfier as well, but wasn't sure if it would improve mojo s performance.

I even placed an order for a Curious HUGO Link to connect mojo to the jitterbuged phone.

But Rob Woodland (Curious CEO) told me that he wasn't to happy with my plan to use with a phone and suggested I reevaluate my setup.

This broad me to the DIY server route.

What I wanted to say is that I read a review of the W4S Recovery on DAR where it is also tested with a curious cable. Definitely interesting stuff.

Fighting Fit USB Audio From The Wyred4Sound Recovery | DAR__KO

Cheers

Why not use an Odroid instead? Faster, better USB implementation, same price, software support.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Was thinking about switching to odroid c2 but AFAIK there is no runeaudio for this, right now. I am struggling a bit with wifi on my pi 3 but still have to try some things. After I get wlan running I will try to store files on the micro SD.

But I allready plan an odroid setup. I have to say I really like the official pi 3 case. Is there an equivalent to this for odroid with touchscreen option?

Cheers

Was thinking about switching to odroid c2 but AFAIK there is no runeaudio for this, right now. I am struggling a bit with wifi on my pi 3 but still have to try some things. After I get wlan running I will try to store files on the micro SD.

But I allready plan an odroid setup. I have to say I really like the official pi 3 case. Is there an equivalent to this for odroid with touchscreen option?

Cheers

Volumio supports the Odroid C2. And since Volumio will soon release their v2.0, it may be the better option. When I ran RuneAudio and Volumio 1.55 I found the interface still to be a tat incomplete.

Why not use an Odroid instead? Faster, better USB implementation, same price, software support.

I don't think the Odroid software support is as good as the Raspberry Pi's or hardware support for that matter.

Have you compared the sound of an Odroid with the sound of a Raspberry Pi, or could you point to a link where someone has? The Odroid may well sound better than the Pi, but I don't think it is possible to tell from just reading the specs.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

I don't think the Odroid software support is as good as the Raspberry Pi's or hardware support for that matter.

Have you compared the sound of an Odroid with the sound of a Raspberry Pi, or could you point to a link where someone has? The Odroid may well sound better than the Pi, but I don't think it is possible to tell from just reading the specs.

My recommendation is not based on sound but on hardware implementation. When you want to connect to a USB DAC, the Odroid has a better technical architecture to support that. And before everyone starts telling me they have a Pi running in such a config, that does not mean I am saying it can't be done. I'm merely saying that the Pi has one single Bus for USB and Network, while the Odroid has two separate busses. There is therefore less chance of a bottleneck. And if you scan the CA threads you will find the occassional post about bottlenecks caused by this design choice.

Also, the CPU of the Odroid is faster with the same energy usage. As we know from Gordon Rankin's test (Google is your friend), faster CPUs tend to give more consistent sound quality when playing back various file formats.

I entirely agree that the Pi has vastly superior hardware support and better software support. But for a simple USB playback device, the Odoid's software support is more than good enough and hardware support is a none-issue. The Pi is a very versatile tool. But it is not always the best choice for each specific task.

My recommendation is not based on sound but on hardware implementation. When you want to connect to a USB DAC, the Odroid has a better technical architecture to support that. And before everyone starts telling me they have a Pi running in such a config, that does not mean I am saying it can't be done. I'm merely saying that the Pi has one single Bus for USB and Network, while the Odroid has two separate busses. There is therefore less chance of a bottleneck. And if you scan the CA threads you will find the occassional post about bottlenecks caused by this design choice.

I use Raspberry Pi2s in two different systems and with Hi Res files up to 24/192 accessed via NFS with a disk mounted on a BeagleBone Black and wired ethernet, and there is never any 'bottleneck problem'. The default NFS settings for the Archphile in /etc/fstab didn't work well for me and I needed to change them, but that isn't really anything to do with the Raspberry Pi2 or its USB support.

As long as you use an audiophile distribution such as Volumio, RuneAudio, MoOde Audio or Archphile you can assume that any USB issues have been sorted out. If you want to roll your own Linux version, you may possibly encounter problems with Raspberry Pi's USB support, but most people who would be reading this thread, including myself, wouldn't want to do that and would prefer to use a fully debugged audiophile image.

Also, the CPU of the Odroid is faster with the same energy usage. As we know from Gordon Rankin's test (Google is your friend), faster CPUs tend to give more consistent sound quality when playing back various file formats.

You use a microRendu according to your sig, and it doesn't have a 64 bit CPU AFAIK. Yet it is certainly regarded on the forum as one of the best ARM based music servers. I'm not sure a Raspberry Pi3 with a 64 bit processor would sound better or worse than a Raspberry Pi2 with a 32 bit processor, but I would base my opinion on listening to them or reading about other people's findings after doing a comparison. Even though these ARM systems are small and cheap, they are still very complex systems and it is hard to draw conclusions about how they sound from just reading about the CPU type.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

You use a microRendu according to your sig, and it doesn't have a 64 bit CPU AFAIK. Yet it is certainly regarded on the forum as one of the best ARM based music servers. I'm not sure a Raspberry Pi3 with a 64 bit processor would sound better or worse than a Raspberry Pi2 with a 32 bit processor, but I would base my opinion on listening to them or reading about other people's findings after doing a comparison. Even though these ARM systems are small and cheap, they are still very complex systems and it is hard to draw conclusions about how they sound from just reading about the CPU type.

An Odroid and Raspberry Pi are comparable devices. A mRendu and an Odroid or Pi are not. Mr Rankin's tests involved like-for-like comparisons where only the CPU deviated.

I also did not say one sounds better than the other based on CPU power. I said it would sound more consistent than the other. That could also mean that the device sounds consistently crap.