IGNORED

Best 2.1 speakers

As a 2.1 speaker lover I decided to aggregate all the reviews I could find on the internet to determine which system is considered the best. Edifier make the most high-end 2.1 systems but for some reason they're the hardest reviews to find. Regardless, all 10 systems in my research had at least 5 scores to get to their final score and are a mix of consumer and professional reviews.

These are the 10 finalists:

Klipsch Proaudio

Corsair 2500

Edifier S330

Logitech Z-2300

Razer Mako

Edifier S530

Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

Creative Labs Gigaworks T3

Logitech Z623

Edifier S730

And the winners are.........

1-Edifier S530 94%

2-Logitech Z-2300 88%

3-Corsair 2500 86%

4-Edifier S730 84%

5-Klipsch Proaudio 84%

6-Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 83%

7-Logitech Z623 83%

8-Creative Lab Gigaworks T3 82%

9-Razer Mako 80%

10-Edifier S330 77%

You're right, I also missed other expensive, high-end offerings from Orb Audio and Paradigm, but the problem with all three of these is that they cater to a much smaller clientele so ratings and reviews would be tougher to come by. The one system that was competitive with these that I wish I had included was the Arion Legacy Deep Sonar 750 but due to the time limit on edits here I can't go back and fix that.

You're right, I also missed other expensive, high-end offerings from Orb Audio and Paradigm, but the problem with all three of these is that they cater to a much smaller clientele so ratings and reviews would be tougher to come by. The one system that was competitive with these that I wish I had included was the Arion Legacy Deep Sonar 750 but due to the time limit on edits here I can't go back and fix that.

Just kidding, you did good. Don't know if passives should really be included.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

There are other active desktop audiophile/studio professional speakers out there such as Genelec, Focal, dynaudio, audioengine, ADam, KEF, emotiva, Psb,Paradigm, JBL etc etc. They are not adversised as 2.1 package but most of them integration to high performance subs.

There are other active desktop audiophile/studio professional speakers out there such as Genelec, Focal, dynaudio, audioengine, ADam, KEF, emotiva, Psb,Paradigm, JBL etc etc. They are not adversised as 2.1 package but most of them integration to high performance subs.

Yep. I'm personally staggered by the performance offered by the JBL 305 monitors for $260 and if I were set on a 2.1 "set" I'd say 305 +310=unbeatable value.

Yep. I'm personally staggered by the performance offered by the JBL 305 monitors for $260 and if I were set on a 2.1 "set" I'd say 305 +310=unbeatable value.

I'm baffled that anybody would willingly submit themselves to any equipment on the OP's list.

I thought the post was a practical joke or a dare.

There are other active desktop audiophile/studio professional speakers out there such as Genelec, Focal, dynaudio, audioengine, ADam, KEF, emotiva, Psb,Paradigm, JBL etc etc. They are not advertised as 2.1 package but most of them integration to high performance subs.

Now this is a completely different story.

I'm partial to the Genelec SAM line or Dynaudio Air.

They all come with room compensation DSP built in.

And yes: 2.1 is an option.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Excuse me(snot) for not including the subwoofer that is also sold to go with the the monitors-who the hell do you think you are

That's a great question.

I'm the kind of guy who's at least smart enough to understand that questions should always be followed by a question mark, something you managed to somehow miss. I'm also the kind of guy who is able to read and understand words like "2.1 system" and not get confused about it's meaning, again something you obviously lack. Hope that helps.

200_s.gif

I'm baffled that anybody would willingly submit themselves to any equipment on the OP's list. I thought the post was a practical joke or a dare.

I understand, your nose is far too high in the air to be able to relate to anything remotely normal like most people.

Now this is a completely different story.

I'm partial to the Genelec SAM line or Dynaudio Air.

They all come with room compensation DSP built in.

And yes: 2.1 is an option.

Of course 2.1 is an option with any speakers but I made it clear that I was comparing speaker systems that are sold as 2.1 setups. I understand, your high nose probably got in the way of reading that.

giphy.gif

to digipete and maelobe and jeffmudrick: just who is this anal newbie carewser? who cares how i punctuate or don't punctuate and his snotty remarks and in boldface and capitals?

all i originally wanted was someone's opinion on those legacy audio hd monitors because i have never seen them mentioned on CA NOT a lecture on what a 2.1 system's exact definition is OR my lack of question marks periods and capitals(really who gives a schiit,(CAREWSER)?he understood what i wrote regardless and this isn't 10th grade english composition

maybe he should just be shunned from here on out

bobbmd

Here is a setup of truly great monitors that can be purchased as a pre-defined product.

Distortion and diffraction is very low, small footprint, room compensation through DIP settings for linear frequency response.

Vintage Kings Genelec 8030A / 7050B package

This equipment is developed as a tool, a daily work horse, and there is nothing high nosed about it.

I understand if this equipment is outside your financial reach, fair enough.

You'll find people are very helpful here, just state your budget and what you are trying to achieve with the equipment.

Also, headphones gets you the best sound on a small budget.

Good luck

to digipete and maelobe and jeffmudrick: just who is this anal newbie carewser? who cares how i punctuate or don't punctuate and his snotty remarks and in boldface and capitals?

all i originally wanted was someone's opinion on those legacy audio hd monitors because i have never seen them mentioned on CA NOT a lecture on what a 2.1 system's exact definition is OR my lack of question marks periods and capitals(really who gives a schiit,(CAREWSER)?he understood what i wrote regardless and this isn't 10th grade english composition

maybe he should just be shunned from here on out

bobbmd

If by "anal" you mean "correct" then I agree, I am anal. As for my "snotty" remarks, you mean like "who the hell do you think you are"? Nope, it was you who started off with the attitude after I merely corrected you. If you wanted an opinion on those Legacy speakers you should have started a thread about them then rather than trying to hijack my thread since this thread has nothing to do with them.

Digipete, I couldn't have made this thread clearer so why you also decided to try and change the subject is beyond me. It's starting to look to me like logical conversation isn't really valued here.

I think Digipete and I were just trying to help.

We didnt mean to hijack your thread it is just that I found your title somewhat confusing. 2.1 system typically means two speakers and a sub. You probably meant it as more traditional computer active speakers.But even in that context there is a whole world of professional/audiophile high performance active 2.1 systems that could be used as a computer desktop system. Not sure if you were aware of that. As you will find here, you have to be very careful in discussing whats "best". By the way I like the little logitechs lol

If you are planning to spend money on 2.1 I suggest going to a pro-audio store, or check out the selection at sweetwater or guitar center instead of the list mentioned. High quality, affordable budget items available there.

Genelec are indeed the dogs bollocks, and are priced accordingly, but there is good gear for all budgets at musician type stores.

I think Digipete and I were just trying to help.

We didnt mean to hijack your thread it is just that I found your title somewhat confusing. 2.1 system typically means two speakers and a sub. You probably meant it as more traditional computer active speakers.But even in that context there is a whole world of professional/audiophile high performance active 2.1 systems that could be used as a computer desktop system. Not sure if you were aware of that. As you will find here, you have to be very careful in discussing whats "best". By the way I like the little logitechs lol

I just checked the local music store and couldn't find any 2.1 systems although there are endless options for mixing and matching satellites to subs. You're right about the confusion regarding the title of the thread, I should have said "most popular" instead of "best".

Digipete, I couldn't have made this thread clearer so why you also decided to try and change the subject is beyond me. It's starting to look to me like logical conversation isn't really valued here.

My bad, I assumed you came for advice on better sound from 2.1 systems.

I have no idea or interest in the price class of the original list, but the best of luck.

I just checked the local music store and couldn't find any 2.1 systems although there are endless options for mixing and matching satellites to subs. You're right about the confusion regarding the title of the thread, I should have said "most popular" instead of "best".

Up to a certain point, yes 2.1 systems are sold as all in one packages.

Beyond the consumer retail stores though there is a lot more mix and match though most manufacturers of higher end "desktop" active speakers have subwoofers to match - for example JBL LSR305 or LSR308 would typically match with an LSR310S though you are not likely to see that as a package advertised online. The same is true of brands like Genelec and Focal.

A lot of people don't like subs though and find a good 2.0 system better suited to them.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Up to a certain point, yes 2.1 systems are sold as all in one packages.

Beyond the consumer retail stores though there is a lot more mix and match though most manufacturers of higher end "desktop" active speakers have subwoofers to match - for example JBL LSR305 or LSR308 would typically match with an LSR310S though you are not likely to see that as a package advertised online. The same is true of brands like Genelec and Focal.

A lot of people don't like subs though and find a good 2.0 system better suited to them.

305/310 packages are on Amazon and elsewhere but are rarely best deal :$699 on Amazon, $665 on Ebay, while 305s can be found today for $258, 310s standard retail $399, occasionally discounted but not as deeply as the monitors.

That's the thing I don't understand, having had speakers from Akai, Paisley Research, Yamaha, and Bose, to go back to a 2 speaker setup would be a huge step back in my mind since 2.1 systems fill in the bass that was always missing from regular speakers, particularly at low volumes.

• 4 months later...
ALL subwoofers produced despite the price are totally ruining MUSIC. They're way too slow. But as a part of most 5.1/7.1-7.2/9.2 system for watching movies, they're actually a must!

I have the same experience with most everything I tried. The only one that I have found to be ok with music is the REL, but only with the direct connection to the amp speaker terminals. Sadly many of theirs are now using switching power supplies, which suck. The Gibraltar series are quite good and still use Class A/B power.

Cheers.