IGNORED

OT: Can you recommend a good amateur photography forum?

After many years being limited to smartphone and point and shoot digital photography, I've finally decided to get myself a decent camera and bought a Fuji X100T today, with the aim of reviving the skill set I acquired when shooting with a analog SLR during my high school and student days.

I've learned a lot from this forum, so I was wondering if we have some photography amateurs here who could recommend the equivalent of CA for amateur photography. I've already found some forums dedicated to Fuji X, so I'll probably lurk there, but was also looking for a general forum.

dpreview.com is a very popular site with an active forum although more equipment related ...

Another forum with many photographic subjects: Photography-on-the.net Digital Photography Forums

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

I learned a lot about digital photography on KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures.

You will find numerous articles in his section How To Take Better Pictures.

You may also want to check Mike Browne Photography Courses, Workshops & videos.

Have fun!

edit: here the link to K Rockwell's review of your camera: Fuji X100T Review.

MacBook Pro (OS 10.13, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 3.5) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio ISO Regen w Ultracap LPS-1.2 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects
Other: Aurender N100H, Macbook Pro (2023) running Audirvana Studio

A lot of good recommendations for you so far!

Here are two more pros who use the Fuji X system and have great blogs (and books or videos too!)

Home - ProPhotoNut - Damien Lovegrove is a former BBC cameraman and lighting director; If portraits are your thing then this site is incredible.

http://davidduchemin.com/ - David DuChemin - mostly landscape and people in remote parts of the world (well remote to us, not them).

If you like looking at wonderful photographs then WWW.Lenswork.com

If you want to learn lighting (especially small flash but not exclusively) then David Hobby is the guy Strobist

Lighting 101 on that is a great place to learn and Hobby gives you plenty of exercises to do.

A good process is find a photographer you like and then follow that person's blog or recommended books/blogs.

Let us know what in particular you are interested in and we can give you more focused info.

Oh BTW - get out there and shoot! Reading blogs is great but the real learning comes with every click.

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

If you like looking at wonderful photographs then WWW.Lenswork.com

LensWork isn't really a forum but a paid subscription magazine. But yes, it's truly wonderful. In fact, it's been the only magazine I subscribe to for many years now. Highly recommended.

And for sheer awe and inspiration, try photomacrography.net. It's a forum for high macro and microscope photography. Images posted on some of the threads are simply astounding, like this, this, this and this.

Thanks everybody, great suggestions. That will give me some good reading material!

@cgiammona, I seriously considered the Sony A7II, but then figured I settle with something more portable to increase the likelihood of actually taking the camera with me (this was one of the reasons I stopped using my old analog SLR back in the days). Plus the minimalist approach of a fixed lens appealed to me.

But I'm obviously very jealous of your Leicas...

With regards to type of photography, mostly I want this as a tool to document my life and create lasting memories, so have the camera around as much as possible.

I travel a lot both for work and privately, and so good landscape and city pictures are a must. My objective now is to go beyond that and also notice the smaller beautiful moments while I'm out and about, and actually do some serious photo editing, which I never bothered with with my iPhone pics (which just got dumped into Photos for Mac).

My other favorite subject is my wife, and obviously a 35mm eq fixed lens is not necessarily ideal for portraits, so I may eventually get the 50mm eq converter (or another camera, but I don't want to start upgraditis one day after purchase!)