IGNORED

Happy Birthday Frank Sinatra

Dear All:

In memoriam, Frank Sinatra was born on December 12 (1915); and I intend to devote a good portion of today's music to my Sinatra Collection. I actually have a few 78s (records) from my parent's collection.

My favorite Sinatra album (love all of them, essentially) is Only The Lonely. I have the original LP but no longer play vinyl.

At 72 years of age, I have been feeling nostalgic lately. Celebrated George Harrison's passing (November 29th) two weeks ago by devoting several hours to his music. And find myself thinking about the decades I have been listening to Sinatra. My favorite Sirius XM station is Channel 71, Siriusly Sinatra. And enjoy the American Songbook catalogue. If that makes me an ole fogy (sp?), so be it.

If any member cares to offer his/her favorite Sinatra song, album, this might be a good time/thread to acknowledge his body of work.

I'll seed this thread with Only The Lonely. I have several editions of Only The Lonely, including an MFSL Hybrid SACD edition.

What might your favorite(s) be?

Thank you, Frank, for all the enjoyment of music your body of work provides.

Best,

Richard

image.jpeg

Hi Richard,

I intended to start this topic but you beat me to it.

It's hard to single out a favourite but I do like this one a lot:

Songs-for-swingin-lovers.jpg

Don't know Only The Lonely, will look into it.

Best,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Hi Richard,

I intended to start this topic but you beat me to it.

It's hard to single out a favourite but I do like this one a lot:

Songs-for-swingin-lovers.jpg

Don't know Only The Lonely, will look into it.

Best,

Ricardo

Hello Ricardo,

Great minds think alike. Happy to share the thread creation with you. I have the album in my collection that you selected. I agree it's a wonderful album. Thank you for your input.

Enjoy your collection. Planning to play lots of Sinatra today.

Best,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22705[/ATTACH]

"Sinatra at the Sands" with the Count Basie Orchestra

Awesome album.

Very nice indeed.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Richard,

Wonderful thread topic. How about your top 10 (in no particular order)? It's a selfish question really .. I've always appreciated Mr. Sinatra but I'm not as familiar with his catalogue as I would like to be. Listening to this at the moment:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22702[/ATTACH]

Hello Melvin,

Hardly selfish. Good question. Rather than selfish, I'd substitute difficult. But I'll try anyway. Thank you for letting me off the hook by making order of preference a non-criterion.

Here goes (in no particular order):

1. Only The Lonely (MFSL) Hybrid Sacd.

2. Nice 'N' Easy (MFSL) Hybrid Sacd.

3. Frank Sinatra Antonio Carlos Jobim, The Complete Reprise Recordings, redbook CD.

4. Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!! (MFSL) Hybrid Sacd.

5. Frank Sinatra with Count Basie (remastered) redbook CD.

6. No One Cares (MFSL) Hybrid Sacd.

7. I Remember Tommy (remastered) redbook CD.

8. Songs For Swingin' Lovers! (MFSL) Hybrid Sacd.

9. A Swingin' Affair (MFSL) Hybrid Sacd.

10. Point Of No Return (MFSL) Hybrid Sacd.

11. No One Cares (MFSL) Hybrid Sacd.

12. Where Are You? (MFSL) Hybrid Sacd.

Melvin I also have Strangers In The Night; The Capitol Years Disc 1-3; Frank Sinatra, The Concert Collection (7 Discs); Sinatra The Main Event (DVD); Sinatra At The Sands (DVD) and a dozen more. MFSL recordings are excellent. The expensive "Hi-Res" Ultimate Sinatra: The Centennial Collection (44.1/24 DL) 106 tracks (4 discs) very disappointing SQ. Others not mention are either Hi-Res or CD quality and are a mixed-bag re SQ. Even the 192/24 can be disappointing. Perhaps, I am too demanding...(smile)

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Many thanks Richard! Considering all I've learned since becoming a member 5 years ago, it's this sharing of music I most appreciate. Enjoy your evening.

Hello Melvin,

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. Resource is power and power is resource. The references to the vast body of music selections, subjectivity as an assessment element aside, is a resource of inherent and inestimable value.

Similarly, I have learned more from when things go wrong then when they go right. Album of the evening thread, started by Chris Connacker, is one of my favorite threads. And I am grateful to all the members who post and share their experiences of music much of which I was not aware of. Being able to give back is a rewarding experience and exchange.

"Play it again, Sam..."(smile). N'est-ce pas?

Enjoy the enjoyment of music,

Richard