IGNORED

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power: worth a high-res upgrade?

• 1 year later...
I noticed that both Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks had this in 192/24 today. Anyone buy it? I'd like to know if it's worth an upgrade over my original CD from the early 90's.

I bought Cowboys and yes it sucks. I've found almost all Hi Res metal/rock albums I've purchased are worse then the original, Iron Maiden, Nirvana, God Smack, Megadeth, Smashing Pumpkins just to name a few. I have all original releases from these bands and have been disappointed with every purchase. The early stuff I get, they weren't recorded in HI Res, but newer stuff from Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold (Hail to the King) should sound better.

A times I feel Hi Res is only meant for Jazz, Classical and vocal.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I loved that interview you just did with Bob Ludwig. It's nice to know his insights on the loudness wars. I always looked for his name when I purchased my albums/CD in the 80s.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Thank you for reading! Happy Holidays Shawn!

Thank you, Happy Holidays and keep the articles and reviews coming. I enjoy your website, with its mix of everything metal and audio equipment.

I bought Cowboys and yes it sucks. I've found almost all Hi Res metal/rock albums I've purchased are worse then the original, Iron Maiden, Nirvana, God Smack, Megadeth, Smashing Pumpkins just to name a few. I have all original releases from these bands and have been disappointed with every purchase. The early stuff I get, they weren't recorded in HI Res, but newer stuff from Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold (Hail to the King) should sound better.

A times I feel Hi Res is only meant for Jazz, Classical and vocal.

Can't speak to the stuff mentioned and not that Hi Rez brings anything extra to the SQ party but the remasters done by Steve's Wilson and Hoffman do bring valuable improvements to the plate. Releases such as the Jethro Tull and ELP catalog have been very well done. JMHO

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Can't speak to the stuff mentioned and not that Hi Rez brings anything extra to the SQ party but the remasters done by Steve's Wilson and Hoffman do bring valuable improvements to the plate. Releases such as the Jethro Tull and ELP catalog have been very well done. JMHO

ELP would be a consideration. I like all kinds of music but lean to the metal. Can you recommend an ELP version.

ELP would be a consideration. I like all kinds of music but lean to the metal. Can you recommend an ELP version.

To experience ELP, the live Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends is near 2 hours of ELP's best music highlighting Keith Emerson on keyboards. Keith was one of the greatest rock musicians of the 20th century. RIP

The Wilson mastered Tarkus for SQ from a studio album.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

To experience ELP, the live Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends is near 2 hours of ELP's best music highlighting Keith Emerson on keyboards. Keith was one of the greatest rock musicians of the 20th century. RIP

The Wilson mastered Tarkus for SQ from a studio album.

Thanks Sal, I'll look into it.

I actually have both - 'Vulgar..' and 'Cowboys..' HDTracks 24/192 2013-2015 downloads. Both are significant improvements over CDs that I own too. The DRs of both 24bit albums are similiar to DRs of the original CDs (and much better than the Deluxe/Anniversary Editions):

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Pantera+&album=Vulgar+Display+of+Power

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Pantera&album=cowboys

[/url]