IGNORED

The $3K all in exercize.

plissken

Ron, I meant galv. isolation for the digital interface - the other claim for SQ problems in the interface is the need to reclock the signal.

which DAC chips from TI, et al.?  some are used in inexpensive devices, other DACs are meant for the HiFi market - I am not sure how much an ESS 9038 goes for, but ladder technology DACs can get very expensive due to the need to get the pickoff resistors very accurate (or at least some of them).  Many or most are laser trimmed.

32 minutes ago, fas42 said:

And my thoughts always are, what is this obsession with the very low bass, of most in this game? It has nothing to do with improving the intensity, impact of the music, and improves not one iota the sense of the bass line in the music - I have yet to come across a rig with mega subwoofers, etc, that doesn't sound somewhat absurd - a slightly more refined version of the boomy nonsense that passes for cinema sound stuff ... nothing to do with realistic, everything to do with a funfair ride - each to their own, :).

well, I have Maggies, so am not going to argue that a system which cannot reproduce cannon fire from 1812 is necessarily deficient

15 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Full size Magnepans are a problem in a room smaller than 25x25. Smaller than that, listening feels like you are inside the worlds largest headphone or

in the ape and monolith scene out of the movie 2001.

Maggie 3.7's have a SMALLER acoustical 'footprint' than the 1.7's - that is b/c of the different technology used.  Call up Wendell if you don't trust me.

You might however want to think about how easily you can load up and evacuate your HiFi system (or at least the stored music) the next time a flood hits.

I'm sorry for your loss, but NoLa residents had it worse, small consolation I know...

also, it's best to regard Gutb as a source of humor...

- the only real damage he does is to new members who need help, not people who have been on here a while

there a guy out in the desert who has a large warehouse which has 4 Maggie 20.2's in it 

a lot bigger than 25x25 - not sure but he must do a lot of near field listening - he also has 3.7's and some small desktop Maggies...

8 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

asians like the beach too

this was related to an experience a friend of mine had - He is an MD (rehab. medicine, and went to MIT interestingly enough) and Chinese/Japanese-American - his kids were being stereotyped at school and some teacher got on them for "insufficient achievement" which really bothered him - really, really...  when he was at a low in expostulating, I noted that:

1. there are worse stereoptypes

2. it was a lot like some 1950s, 60s Jewish stereotypes

that engaged his intellectual interest enough that he was able to get out of his limbic system...

one would hope beer was making a joke

beer - scientists do not designate races in extant humans because the genetic variation among individuals is much higher than among any 'races'

the above has been known for several decades and was originally based on electrophoretic analyses, later confirmed by direct genetic analyses once we started ripping apart DNA

a race is a subs-species (aka, variety to botanists) - unless you just use it as some 'means whatever I say it means' Lewis Carroll sort of wooly speech)

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

To be honest, it was just the first link in my google search and still haven't looked at it, but i do believe that "most" people with above average intelligence will look to couple with people with above average intelligence, and that there will be percentages that will show what I am thinking, even if i can't put into words easily (grin).....will ponder some more and respond back in more detail....

thinking can help reduce flack from your posts or links

yes, there is positive assortative mating for IQ - that says noting about race or ethnicity

GUTB is incorrect in his post 

IQ is a very general concept - that's for sure

- the Stanford-Binet test is the metric but relies on English language skills

beer  - does it make ANY sense to you to call out differences on a category that does not exist (race)

On 12/11/2015 at 11:19 AM, plissken said:

In another thread Jud mentioned a $560 speaker driven by several $K of electronics. I mentioned taking the same budget (say $3K all in) and spend $2300 on speakers. $700 on the electronics stack.

So here is my go assuming commercial and new speakers.

Dennis Murphy Philharmonic Slim Towers $2200

TEAC AL501DA-B $449

Source Computer w/ Wireless KB and Mouse: $127

4TB NAS for $149

JRiver with JRemote for smartphone.

is Dennis Murphy better than the kef's?

6 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

It's either a novel or your misquoted.

See if you can link up with Dorothy and go to Oz for a brain - do a search on the bool WITHOUT bothering yourself with the rudimentary exercise of reading The Mismeasure of Man and you will see it is not a novel.

You do know what a novel is, right?