IGNORED

Dedicated 12V Power Supply for CPU

kilroy

A reputable source has advised me that a dedicated/separate 12V source to power the (Intel) cpu on the mainboard results in improved sound quality. Why not, I say. But as I have no spare connectors or 12V supply at the moment, can't find out first hand.

Anybody tried this?

Not exactly. The SOtM doesn't have enough amperes to fit my server requirements. The PicoPSU and CPU needs 7A and 3x SSDs needs 3A. Also, the SOtM is running on one transformer with multiple voltage regulators. Which IMO, it doesn't provide power isolation which is my main purpose for powering the parts separately.

oh. I understood, I went back to your answer and read it again and got you are running separate LPSU.. understood.. I mostly use SOtM stuff they are very good and cost effective on any aspect.. anyway their power supply fit very well in my system but I will need another psu since that can't cover all my system at all..

The PicoPSU and CPU needs 7A and 3x SSDs needs 3A.

Even when reading from one SSD and writing to another SSD at the same time, you shouldn't need more than a genuine 5V 1A continuous rated PSU with recent model SSDs.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I'm using a PPA Super OS SDD and 2 pieces of 1TB Samsung EVO. Have tried a lower ampere LPSU but it's not consistent and sometimes I have loading issues even though the OCXO clock is powered from the motherboard.

What do you mean by loading issues ? Is this at start up ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Yes indeed.

Interesting.

I use 2 +5V supplies from separate 1A voltage regulator ICs powered from the internal +12V SMPS, but I have never had any problems with my OS SSD which is a 256GB Samsung EVO 850 or my music SSD which is a 128GB Samsung EVO 840. .

It sounds like Paul may be using a much older, and far thirstier model SSD for this application.

A reputable source has advised me that a dedicated/separate 12V source to power the (Intel) cpu on the mainboard results in improved sound quality.

Hi Kilroy,

Yes, my experience is that there is major improvement possible. I am using 3 separate LPUs, one for the two SSD (one for OS, one for music files), one for RAM and one for the 12V of the mainboard. In addition there is an ATX PSU attached to the main rail of the mainboard just to power the mainboard itself and avoid ATX specific switch problems. All connections have individually build additional filters attached.

From my experience the direct picoless connection is much better because of the cleaner and less interfeered power. In case you go for a much easier to build pico solution I recognized a 12V pico solution supported by a very good 12V LPSU as better performing. That seems to be because the 12V of the LPSU goes directly into the mainboard without added noise from pico.

You might find more details in my signature.

Enjoy

Thomas

DIY coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer /// 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery & caps/filter /// Active crossover @ Acourate Convolver & room correction@MC30 /// General 2 PC setup: floating PSU picoless battery & caps/filter powered Bicker DC160W: PC1(Player) - individual stripped MS RamOS with JPlay /// PC2: Server 2016 RamOS - AO 2.0b5 - Acourate Convolver - online convolving & crossover /// Chain: PC1 - USB - F-1 - SPdif coax - Mutec MC3.1+ USB - SPdif coax - FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery & caps/filter - USB - PC2 - FireFace UCX - Adat LWL - Mutec MC-4 - 3 x SPdif coax - D802 Low/ D802 Middle / D802 High - 2 Stereo Lab KWH250 with BMS 4590 plus 2 modified corner subwoofer Abacus ABS210

You can also use a ferrite core on the CPU power wires as a cheap alternative. Also a DC inline power filter. Basically the goal is to get clean power to the CPU and to prevent noise from the CPU from dirtying up everything else.

Warning: Semi computer literate question:

I am already working on supplying 5V power to my SSD. Next I would like to try powering the CPU directly. What is the connector to the CPU? I assume I will have to make custom cable so knowing what the pinouts are and the terminating connector would be greatly appreciated.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Warning: Semi computer literate question:

I am already working on supplying 5V power to my SSD. Next I would like to try powering the CPU directly. What is the connector to the CPU? I assume I will have to make custom cable so knowing what the pinouts are and the terminating connector would be greatly appreciated.

tboooe

You would need to download a .pdf copy of your motherboard's manual.

It is likely to be far more complicated than you thought.

Attached is an example.

gf1cJ3.jpg

It is likely to be far more complicated than you thought.

Thank you for the reply. This is precisely what I was afraid of. OK off to study the mobo manual.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thank you for the reply. This is precisely what I was afraid of. OK off to study the mobo manual.

My ATX and mATX boards both use a 4-pin connector, 2@12v and 2 grounds. Pretty simple. You'll need a 12v supply, that's it.

This is the connector, opposite the molex. Cut it off and wire it to your 12V supply. Done.

http://www.amazon.com/Titanium-Micro-4FT4MC1-Connector-Adapter/dp/B0012SM2SC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449362188&sr=8-3&keywords=4+pin+cpu+connector+molex

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H mobo. According to the manual this mobo has 24 pin ATX and 4 pin ATX power connectors. I assume the 4 pin is what I need to wire to my LPS. This 4 pin connector has two 12v lines. Can I wire both of these lines to a single 12v output from my LPS? Also, should I use different power rails of my LPS to power the picopsu and cpu? Would it defeat the purpose if I used a single 12v power output of my LPS for both the cpu and picopsu?

Other components:

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H mobo. According to the manual this mobo has 24 pin ATX and 4 pin ATX power connectors. I assume the 4 pin is what I need to wire to my LPS. This 4 pin connector has two 12v lines. Can I wire both of these lines to a single 12v output from my LPS?

That sounds about right, but I'm no expert. Do your due diligence and understand your particular situation. Motherboards and CPUs light up pretty easy.

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H mobo. According to the manual this mobo has 24 pin ATX and 4 pin ATX power connectors. I assume the 4 pin is what I need to wire to my LPS. This 4 pin connector has two 12v lines. Can I wire both of these lines to a single 12v output from my LPS?

It may not be so easy, as the manuals don't appear to state which plug supplies a particular area .

e.g.

The Pentium processor with MMX technology requires 6.5A at 2.8V (233 MHz) for its core from the supply voltage solution. The 3.3V I/O voltage has to be supplied by the system (either through the 3.3V power supply or through a 3.3V voltage regulator on the motherboard).

In this case, it appears to be more likely to be coming from the main large connector.

That sounds about right, but I'm no expert. Do your due diligence and understand your particular situation. Motherboards and CPUs light up pretty easy.

Yeah, read the manual more and the 4 pin is definitely for the cpu. From the manual:

"The 12v power connector mainly supplies power to the cpu."

Wish me luck. Hope I don't smoke anything.

Other components:

Yeah, read the manual more and the 4 pin is definitely for the cpu. From the manual:

"The 12v power connector mainly supplies power to the cpu."

Wish me luck. Hope I don't smoke anything.

Good luck ! Just make sure that your new +12V supply has adequate current capabilities.

I would like to make a dedicated supply for my cpu, but my MB ONLY has a 24pin ATX connector.

Its an Asrock q 1900 pro 3.

Is it even possible you think, or has anybody tried ?

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

I believe this might work for you:

PicoPSU-150-xt 12V DC-DC ATX power supply

- 24pin DC-DC ATX PSU

- 150 Watts

- 12V input

- 100% silent, fanless

- Plugs into 24 pin ATX connector

- P4 cable

- 12V-ATX cable (4 pin power)

- Long Life, Solid Polymer Caps, Japan

- Configurable wire harness

- manufactured by mini-box.com