IGNORED

FLAC compression level in file explorer

Is there any way to see the level of FLAC compression of a group of audio file in a File Explorer type of layout? I have some music files at 0 and some at 5 and I want to quickly see which are which. Thanks :)

The 0-8 compression levels are presets for a bunch of encoding parameters. Several of them merely allow the encoder to spend more time searching for the best encoding, and it's not generally possible to tell from an encoded file which options were used. Compared to level 0, level 5 sets a larger block size and enables mid/side coding and LPC, so those two levels can be distinguished by examining the stream and frame headers, but I don't know of a friendly way of doing this.

If you're looking to reduce the size of the files, you could simply recompress all of them. Since FLAC is lossless, you'd only be wasting time, but then picking out the level 0 ones also takes some time.

I *think* as I'm not on my computer that has it installed, but I'm pretty sure with dbPowerAmp installed....inside Windows Explorers and click on File Info, it'll display all the specs of the audiophile including compression ratio. I'm about 70% sure it does this (which I thought was cool).

But I could be wrong and it's not in there and I have something else on the computer that does show the compression level as well.

When I get a chance I'll jump on the computer and figure it out.

I *think* as I'm not on my computer that has it installed, but I'm pretty sure with dbPowerAmp installed....inside Windows Explorers and click on File Info, it'll display all the specs of the audiophile including compression ratio. I'm about 70% sure it does this (which I thought was cool).

But I could be wrong and it's not in there and I have something else on the computer that does show the compression level as well.

When I get a chance I'll jump on the computer and figure it out.

yes, dbP will tell you the compression level if you right click and go to properties>audio properties

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)