IGNORED

FLAC Question

fastdart69

I apologize for this very basic question but I am relatively new to computer audio. Based on my research of computer audio on this and other sites I have decided to use FLAC as the file software for storing CD's and music downloads. Where is the best site to download FLAC software and which version should I download. I was just on the xiph.org website and there are more than 20 different versions on the download page with flac-1.3.1-win.zip and flac-1.3.1.tar.xz being the last two. I am currently using Windows Vista as my operating system but do plan to buy a new computer to use as a dedicated music server and will likely end up with Windows 10 as the operating system. I plan to use JRiver Media Media for playback and dbPoweramp as my CD ripping software. Thanks for your assistance.

I apologize for this very basic question but I am relatively new to computer audio. Based on my research of computer audio on this and other sites I have decided to use FLAC as the file software for storing CD's and music downloads. Where is the best site to download FLAC software and which version should I download. I was just on the xiph.org website and there are more than 20 different versions on the download page with flac-1.3.1-win.zip and flac-1.3.1.tar.xz being the last two. I am currently using Windows Vista as my operating system but do plan to buy a new computer to use as a dedicated music server and will likely end up with Windows 10 as the operating system. I plan to use JRiver Media Media for playback and dbPoweramp as my CD ripping software. Thanks for your assistance.

Why do you want to pay for JRiver Media Centre when Foobar2000 v1.3.8 is available gratis. I spent some time evaluating both and there isn't any difference in sound quality between them.

During that evaluation, I discovered the playlist data editor with UI columns and popup panels plugins installed in Foobar2000, is significantly more advanced than JRiver MC.

BTW, I'm now using Foobar2000 and HQPlayer. The former mostly for it's media track data editing functionality.

Musicophile, perhaps I am wrong but understood that music files have to be converted and stored in a particular format, with FLAC being one of many alternatives. My goal is high fidelity computer audio and FLAC appears to be the one of the better solutions. Iain, I have already decided on JRiver Media as the playback software, my question was specific regarding where to obtain the download for FLAC software. Thanks.

Musicophile, perhaps I am wrong but understood that music files have to be converted and stored in a particular format, with FLAC being one of many alternatives. My goal is high fidelity computer audio and FLAC appears to be the one of the better solutions. Iain, I have already decided on JRiver Media as the playback software, my question was specific regarding where to obtain the download for FLAC software. Thanks.

Both of the programs you mentioned have built-in FLAC support. dBpoweramp rips your CDs to FLAC format and JRiver plays music files in FLAC (and other) formats. You don't need to download anything else.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Both of the programs you mentioned have built-in FLAC support. dBpoweramp rips your CDs to FLAC format and JRiver plays music files in FLAC (and other) formats. You don't need to download anything else.

Thank you kumakuma for your very clear response. Will this also allow me to download high resolution files in FLAC format from sites such as HD Tracks?

Thank you kumakuma for your very clear response. Will this also allow me to download high resolution files in FLAC format from sites such as HD Tracks?

Yes. Once you've downloaded them, you can add them to JRiver for playback.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Once you have decided that you want to store your music files using the flac format, you just need to choose a music player that supports flac files (pretty much any player except iTunes). Next you want to set the preferences in your CD ripping software to create flac files from the CD's. I believe that all music download sites offer the option of downloading flac files (except for iTunes and DSD files of course). That's it, go and have some fun, but you may want to think about meta data and file organization as well.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

JRMC will play every mainstream format you would consider downloading or ripping in.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics