IGNORED

Chromecast Audio (Analog and Digital Outputs) $35

It looks like iFixit has ripped open the new Chromecast Audio and reveals an AKM 192k 24bit DAC inside.

I did see a few people had posted on the Google support forums about their devices resampling everything out of the toslink at 48k, but haven't noticed an official response yet.

EDIT: Sorry for duplicate post Clifak, I was typing mine up as you had posted yours.

Hi All,

I found this thread when I was searching the internet for information on the Chromecast Audio's optical output and was a tad dismayed when it was discovered that all content was being output at 48 khz. I do not currently have a desktop DAC of my own to test it on, but it appears at least a few websites and users have pointed this out and posted about it on various websites and forums. This morning I noticed that iFixit posted a teardown of both of the new Chromecasts and this is what they found inside the Audio version:

•  

[*]

• Marvell Armada 88DE3006 1500 Mini Plus dual-core ARM Cortex-A7 media processor

• Toshiba TC58NVG1S3H 2 Gb NAND Flash Memory

• Texas Instruments DRV632 DirectPath 2-VRMS pop-free stereo line driver

I saw some inquiries on the google support forums regarding this resampling issue and the google rep responded that they are looking into it, but I could not find any other information or a fix thus far yet.

Mine came last night.

I set it up in 7 minutes this morning and was up and Chromcasting Pandora from my iPad!

(That's including deciding to go back thru the setup and limit access to folks on my 5ghz wifi nwk.)

For now, I'm just using the 3.5mm aux output over a AudioQuest Forest 3.5mm to 3.5 cable directly into my integrated amp (Cambridge Audio 650A) and streaming Pandora from my iPad Air 2 over the 5ghz wifi nwk: it sounds pretty good straight to the Amp. Surprisingly good Internal DAC.

FYI- the volume control on the iPad has no impact on the volume output from the Chromecast Audio.

However, in the Chromecast button within the Pandora app, there is a volume control button.

I think I have a mini-toslink to tosink cable somewhere. I'll try to dig it out and see if I hear any differences when I connect it to my SACD/DAC.(Marantz SA8004). Pandora One streams at around 180kbs, so I'm not sure I'll hear much difference, but maybe if there is upsampling going on in my SACD/DAC I'll hear the difference .

I'll try connecting from my PC and play back files on the NAS, and report back when I get around to it.

Does anyone has a favorite iOS app to play NAS files from an IOS device that might be Chromecastable?

(New word invented out of necessity-?)

I'll post again in a few days if I have additional info.

So far, as a pure streamer with Analog Output, I give it an "A". Best $35 audio experiment ever.

Thanks Google- Well Done!

Ps- Ifixit tear down url:

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

Does anyone has a favorite iOS app to play NAS files from an IOS device that might be Chromecastable?

(New word invented out of necessity-?)

This is the precise issue for me as well. Chromecastable (trademark that) uncompressed files from nas, cpu or other via IOS. If that works this is a home run from a convenience standpoint. With android, its probably not an issue as you can play flac natively.

Im in the midst of traveling and my quick experiment of deezer >chromecast>analog out via a HQ Signal Cable 3mm to RCA special cable, with upgraded RCA plugs is similar to yours. Pretty good sound and for the price a no brainer. For quick head to head reference on cheap dacs, the DAC in my Pure i20 sounds a bit better but again this is only on quick listen and the pure is 4-5x the price.

Like you have not had time to get to the digital out but thats for next week. Monoprice sells a cheap 3mm toslink cable FYI.

I saw some inquiries on the google support forums regarding this resampling issue and the google rep responded that they are looking into it, but I could not find any other information or a fix thus far yet.

Thanks for the post. Could you post a link to that forum so those of us here can follow directly for info on this. I think but not sure that the bottom line for anyone here -or anyone interested in quality sound--is whether the chromecast can stream natively at 44 or above AND most importantly, if there is a way of verifying and controlling the data stream for best quality. "We dont need no stinking transcoding" down quality here.

I guess what im trying to say is if the chormecast audio can do native flac without transcoding down and/or Hi Rez files up to 92 hz by casting on an ios device with decent digital output this could be a giant killer. Stated otherwise, will it be able to compete with some of the streaming competition which comes in at a much higher price such as sonos connect (cullen modded), the new aurliac mini streamer, the new elac roon streamer and the yet unknown apps/uses for the new Apple TV. etc.

Thanks for the post. Could you post a link to that forum so those of us here can follow directly for info on this. I think but not sure that the bottom line for anyone here -or anyone interested in quality sound--is whether the chromecast can stream natively at 44 or above AND most importantly, if there is a way of verifying and controlling the data stream for best quality. "We dont need no stinking transcoding" down quality here.

I guess what im trying to say is if the chormecast audio can do native flac without transcoding down and/or Hi Rez files up to 92 hz by casting on an ios device with decent digital output this could be a giant killer. Stated otherwise, will it be able to compete with some of the streaming competition which comes in at a much higher price such as sonos connect (cullen modded), the new aurliac mini streamer, the new elac roon streamer and the yet unknown apps/uses for the new Apple TV. etc.

Google support indicated today on the support forum that 24/192 throughput will be enabled in the next Chromecast Audio update.

Google support indicated today on the support forum that 24/192 throughput will be enabled in the next Chromecast Audio update.

You have a link? Because only thing I've seen from Google simply says they'll fix a current bug where it's resampling everything over optical to 16/48.

Toslink is limited to 24/96 anyway.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on the Chromecast streaming front guys?

I am jumping on the bandwagon myself, ordered 3 and will be playing with a multiroom setup.

PS: I know it does not do simultaneous multiroom streaming yet, I simply mean going wireless across multiple routes.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Got the update to both of mine, but I'm still waiting for multiroom support. I'll get a few more and seamlessly integrate between multiple rooms and devices including my boomboxes of old.

I'm streaming wirelessly via universal plug and play, and the on-board DAC is surprisingly good for $35, but you really need a good quality DAC and digital output from Chromecast Audio for it to really shine. Either ways, for $35 it is a godsend for enabling wireless streaming to pretty much any set of speakers.

Loving it.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther