IGNORED

Anyone tried Windows 7 yet?

Lizard_King

@Eloise

No question the computer approach is more versatile.

I'm just using both, and still enjoying cd playback through my cd transport.

Regarding the belcanto usb link, the only two flaws I can think of are : 1) the jitter performance, and 2) the (inherent) limitation to 24/96 material. As I said, the first point is not much of an issue with the dcs dac (see John Atkinson measures, and comments about its effects when feeding a belcanto dac).

As for believing that a combo you (probably) didn't test peforms better than another one (probably not tested too)... typical 'forumer' approach.

Elp

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. My guru engineer tells me using an external hard drive sounds better than using the internal hard drive of a laptop, including A SSD drive. I will move my external drive off the USB bus and use E-SATA.

Liz

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

bit perfect out of the box

superb aesthetics and industrial design

no virus contamination

software that hasn't been designed by an imbecile

exceptional build quality

built in firewire

remote app

absolutely no reason to choose a mac at all which is why I will almost certainly choose a Trabant rather than a porsche - anything else would be unreasonable and biased.

Yours, "I really hate it when people recommend a Porsche over the Trabant" tog

Togs you bad bear...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thank you Donkeyshins for reminding me what a troll is (sic) ... so let me return the favour by pointing out that most people around here seem to have a sense of humour and that after 119 posts I don't think I really qualify as a troll. I love this forum.. like its denizens, cherish its founder and love the taste of honey. Unless you are blind you will see I am not a troll but a highly opinionated bear who first used Windows in the 80s when it was referred to as "Windows 386". i also owned a Macintosh 128.. the rest.. (as they say is history). Please don't be offended if I rely on over 25 years experience with PCs and Mac to suggest that Windows is a poorly designed OS for audio when compared to either Linux or Darwin.

yours, very non troll, tog

I have been using Windows 7 for a while now,

Recently I have had nothing but problems, album data being changed with many albums now sporting unknown tracks by unknown artists. On top of that a recent attempt at adding a new drive has resulted in my media being unavailable until media player updates the media library EVERY time it is switched on.

So what is the final word about fidelity? My Laptop into my ANK Dac 2.1 Level B Signature over a RSA Enopias is awesome using Win Xp SP3 with ASIO and I unmapped the device. I am hoping to get better fidelity with a new laptop with Windows 7.

What do you all feel about that?

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

Give a whirl..if you are going to Win7 (who isn't if you are on PC?) in any event it will be fun to trial. ASIO will be ASIO - I doubt you will hear any difference. But if you use WASAPI out in Win7 you may discern an improvement.

If you are serious about hi fi in Win7 and have the patience give XX High End a canter. It uses a WASAPI output in "exclusive" mode. You need Vista/Win7 drivers for your SC/Firewire though..not "Vista compliant" which mean XP in Vista compatibility mode.

happy hi fi

A

Best Wishes

Andrew

The latest version of XXHE (released just today) is phenomenal.

It uses a new means of upsampling in software called, 'Arc Prediction' - check out the website for further details.

Apparently, it'll work wonders with many DACs, but my understanding is that the real magic begins with non-oversampling DACs that can handle >96KHz SRs...

... alas, there aren't too many of these around!

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro