IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

On 3/15/2020 at 9:41 AM, jabbr said:

That said if you are designing a server purely for HQP, and you have a 9900ks then by all means go for it — get really fast memory! It’s the current king for high clock rate.

I went with the HyperX Predator 2666 MHz for the CAS 13 performance.  The faster RAMs are all 16+ CAS latency.  I doubt I'll have to OC it! 

2 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

For dummies/newbies contemplating a nearish future server replacement, can you ‘list’ the parts in this build?

The picture has most of it, but sure:

I9-9900KS

Asus Maximus Hero Wi-Fi

Corsair 150i Pro AIO cooling (26 deg C idle temp... will be watching after running HQP for an hour or so tonight, but so far it is q-u-i-e-t!)

Noctua's new NT-H2 thermal paste

Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB

HyperX Predator 2666 MHz 32GB

Asus ROG RTX-2080 Advanced

Seasonic 1000-TR 

Fractal Design Define 7XL case (nice!)

I use HQPlayer with NAA.  It purrs doing 44K to DSD256 using ASDM7EC modulator - no GPU required.  I'll be checking some of the more system stressing filters over the next few days.  Eventually convolution.  Still waiting delivery on a Fractal PCIe riser/extension so I can mount the GPU vertically.  Never liked the GPU hanging off the mobo and with how heavy they are these days... hate to snap the slot on a US$250+ mobo!  The Fractal setup provides easy vert mounting with a header that screws right into prepared holes in the case.  And it moves the GPU away from the other heat sources and keeps everything cool as a bonus.  But they should include the dang thing not price gouge for it like they do!

There are a lot of ways to skin the cat, bu first you need to figure out which cat you want to skin.  Decide what you want to do and build to that level.  Some folks are having great sound with minimalist server builds and some are going super high horsepower and exotic power supplies, etc.  If you are new to computer building don't worry, tutorials and advice everywhere.  These days it is hard to mess it up.