IGNORED

New Apple TV doesn't have a Toslink output

Just a heads up to anyone who uses an Apple TV to stream music via AirPlay. The new Apple TV, announced on Wednesday, doesn't have a Toslink output.

Why You Don’t Want the New Apple TV if You Just Want to Stream Audio | Kirkville

It has HDMI only, so you can only connect it to a TV or AV amplifier. Apple is still selling the previous model, so if you do stream to this device, you might want to pick up an extra for when it gets discontinued.

Any recommendations for an AirPlay receiver that has a headphone jack out? I'm currently using an old AirPort Express in my bedroom, but it's getting wonky.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

What's wrong with the latest airport express?

I've found it very unreliable with AirPlay streaming, and I've heard from lots of people who have similar problems as I do. I have one in my bedroom, and it often drops out. There's the problem of whether the AEX extends the network or not; when it extends the network - devices can connect to it - I ofter have to restart it. When it doesn't extend the network, it often kills the whole network. I'm using it with the most recent AirPort Extreme, and I think the problem is that the Express is older (802.11n). If they update the Express, then it might be a good solution.

Any recommendations for an AirPlay receiver that has a headphone jack out?

I would look into any small and affording computing device (like a Raspi) with Kodi (ex-XBMC) set up to receive Airplay, i.e. build your own.

Airplay is quite limited for streaming quality...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

As a caveat to my post above, there are some configs which may not work, see this post about Kodi and iOS 8.[AirPlay][Warning] Don't update to iOS8 if you want AirPlay

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

As a caveat to my post above, there are some configs which may not work, see this post about Kodi and iOS 8.[AirPlay][Warning] Don't update to iOS8 if you want AirPlay

iOS 8 was a year ago; iOS 9 is out next week.

AirPlay works fine for streaming, at least to some devices. I've never had issues with an Apple TV for streaming, but often with the AirPort Express. I've got an AirPlay speaker, which works well most of the time, but it, too, has dropouts occasionally. The network setup is one of the biggest problems; getting everything tuned so it works smoothly.

Apparently Apple is overhauling the the way AirPlay works and should result in faster pairing, fewer dropouts, and more security.

As Apple plans major AirPlay overhaul for iOS 9 & new Apple TV, mirroring apps must implement workarounds | 9to5Mac

I use a pioneer HT receiver for audio playback. It mostly works well but once in a while it disappears from the AirPlay list on my network. Here's hoping the new version of AirPlay fixes all of these issues people have.

Any recommendations for an AirPlay receiver that has a headphone jack out? I'm currently using an old AirPort Express in my bedroom, but it's getting wonky.

ATV3 or 2. If you use this like a "zone player" and control it via the iOS app, it has an 8 gigabyte buffering capacity, so it works much better than conventional airplay airport express-type streaming (which it can also do).

Well it really sucks that the new ATV will not have TOSLINK! Our living room TV setup has a pair of nice floor standing speakers driven by an NAD integrated amp. Since the TV monitor is the only device in this setup with an HDMI input, when we watch movies we turn on the amp and it gets the ATV3 audio from an old Edirol UA5 DAC I have tucked in the back.

Since I have never seen any audiophile HDMI-input DACs (probably due to HDCP licensing issues and hassle), I guess Apple expects everyone either has an AVR with HDMI I/O, or that they will just use ATV with the crap built-in speakers of their TV.

I have seen some ultra-cheapo Chinese HDMI>analog converters (DACs really, but at the bottom end of the market these exist in they don't even refer to them as such), but I never looked to see if they pass through the video via another HDMI jack (and there might end up being some serious video degradation).

So I am really confused about Apple's intent and direction with this change. And of course I won't even wish for a usable USB port on an ATV...

Superdad... Does your TV not have a digital output (typically optical)? That's the easiest way to get audio out from HDMI devices.

NAD and (soon) Bryston are offering HDMI input "audiophile" DACs as well as Linn offering HDMI input on their DSM streamers / preamps. Another option is a few companies such as Monoprice and CYP offer devices which allow you to extract the audio.

This doesn't stop the fact of Apple dropping Optical out a strange decision though I assume it's down to the chosen chipset not offering it easily. Annoying for those who might want to use the Apple TV as an Apple Music device without getting HDMI involved.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Superdad... Does your TV not have a digital output (typically optical)? That's the easiest way to get audio out from HDMI devices.

I'll have to check, thanks.

Thanks, but any spare funds I have either go into our house, our kid's college, or my main 2-channel hi-fi. Have not watched a movie in weeks, and while I do dig Apple and the AppleTV, I don't feel compelled towards the new one.

But I am looking forward to hearing about what improvements they are making to AirPlay. Not that us audiophiles have much to hope for. I do use a current model Airport Express in the shop to provide both wifi and optical out to a small DAC and speaker set up. My assembly staff does not like it if Pandora shuts off!

Audio_ELF is spot on. Most (virtually all) TVs have an HDMI in and an optical out.

I have my (old) Apple TV connected via HDMi to the TV and via optical to my DAC. Likewise, the TV is connected via optical to the DAC.

I compared and found no audible difference. So I am always listening through the HDMI-optical connection. Switching is after all hard work ;-)

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

I was planning to purchase the new Apple TV until I read this thread, so I'm pretty bummed about this. My TV is located far from my amp, and running an optical cable from the TV (through the wall) is too much trouble. Besides, I think the TV would have to remain on while I listed to music, and that's not what I want all the time.

I'm not interested in an AV setup, so I suppose my best solution is an audiophile integrated stereo amp with HDMI inputs.

The NAD 390DD with the HDMI package is one well-regarded option, and has the added advantage of being able to process SACD from the HDMI outputs of my OPPO player. But this amp is a little over-powered (and over-priced) for my needs.

Another option is to upgrade my HDMI switcher, which I use to toggle between my Apple TV, Oppo, and HD antenna. Is there a nice switcher with toslink outputs that doesn't degrade the audio signal?

Any other solutions in the sub $1000 range?

I would prefer wired solutions over adding a step via airplay or bluetooth.

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR