IGNORED

Another method for attaching storage

I'm using the following method for attaching an SSD for music storage to my server

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005B3VO24/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1440948899&sr=1&keywords=usb+3.0+to+sata+adapter

It allows me to use a custom usb cable and a lps to power the drive.

So what's the big deal? I don't have to use a standard drive enclosure (LaCie, etc.). Maybe that makes no difference whatsoever but I've always believed that less is more in this hobby.

Also, the adapter is only $22.00.

The one downside? No matter what I do in BIOS, the SSD is seen as the boot drive. So I have to boot with this SSD drive disconnected. Then, after the server is booted up, I connect the SSD.

It's a bit of a pain, but I think it's worth it.

Thoughts, opinions, or similar experiences?

Joel

Wonder if there are Firewire, Thunderbolt, etc., equivalents for people who want to keep their storage off the USB bus?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm missing something. SSD has SATA cable and separate SATA power connection. For example: SHOPPING AREA: BATTERY ADAPTER

You're not missing anything, jabbr.

This adapter is only $22 and possibly offers a simpler and certainly less expensive option than buying a drive already packaged in an enclosure.

For those who are willing to order from Taiwan and pay the premium, Paul Pang's product is probably better.

Joel

I'm using the following method for attaching an SSD for music storage to my server

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005B3VO24/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1440948899&sr=1&keywords=usb+3.0+to+sata+adapter

It allows me to use a custom usb cable and a lps to power the drive.

So what's the big deal? I don't have to use a standard drive enclosure (LaCie, etc.). Maybe that makes no difference whatsoever but I've always believed that less is more in this hobby.

Also, the adapter is only $22.00.

The one downside? No matter what I do in BIOS, the SSD is seen as the boot drive. So I have to boot with this SSD drive disconnected. Then, after the server is booted up, I connect the SSD.

It's a bit of a pain, but I think it's worth it.

Thoughts, opinions, or similar experiences?

Joel

Joel

Not all those adapters work with SSD drives. I have one that I ordered from ebay that doesn't , and another one with tiny little LEDs that does. There is also a very good possibility that the SQ will further improve music when using a modified USB cable and a good linear supply Perhaps using a Regen there may take it into even higher SQ territory ?

Incidentally, I have a Verbatim 256GB SSD in a little soft cloth carry case that connects via USB. It sounds better when powered via my external +5V JLH Linear PSU and a modified USB cable without +5V connected at the PC end.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Right Alex.

That's why I listed the exact unit I'm using. That one works.

And I'm using a JCAT USB cable along with a linear power supply for this SSD.

I'm told the Regen is only good for DAC's.

Joel

Hi Joel

It may still be interesting to try a Regen like this, as after all, it is a 2 way transmission device. The improved +5V PSU alone may make it worthwhile.

Perhaps John Swenson could chime in here if he sees your thread ?

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Thanks for the suggestion, Alex.

I believe it was Alex at UpTone who told me (because I recall asking) that the Regen would not add any value to an external hard drive connection.

Still, if someone tries and finds value, I'll be interested to learn more.

Joel

Thanks for the suggestion, Alex.

I believe it was Alex at UpTone who told me (because I recall asking) that the Regen would not add any value to an external hard drive connection.

Still, if someone tries and finds value, I'll be interested to learn more.

Joel

Joel

Perhaps with an external HDD, but we are talking here about , I presume, a recent model +5V powered SSD which draws MUCH less current than a HDD ,and should be capable of being properly powered via the Regen ?

Kind Regards

Alex