IGNORED

ECdesigns

38 minutes ago, Huubster said:

Oh, and one thing to add, a 'mod' anyone can do as long as you don't use the DAC as pre-amplifier.

I use the DAC as DAC only and it's always on the fixed volume setting of 9. This is a result of using both jumpers in the back of the DAC.

What you should try is removing the right jumper (as seen from the back side) áfter you started the DAC in this fixed volume setting.  

Please let me know what you think :D

Even better. Volume setting 9 brings me the maximum listening pleasure.

50 minutes ago, Huubster said:

The crux is in switching the DAC on while the jumper is in, and then remove the jumper. Have you tried that?

If you turn off the DAC on a daily basis it's quite a hassle, but if not it's a one time operation. 

No, never knew this. Will try this. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not really. With some tube amps the DHT preamp makes a staggering difference, but with two new ones which have highest grade OPTs, the DHT preamp is redundant.

In any case B and R sound the same. The mute and volume function on R sometimes comes very handy when you actually want to cut it out without powering off. This is helpful with tube amps.

• 8 months later...

It took a while to garner all those drivers except the bottom one. The top two drivers are Matsushita / Technics / National 8PW1 with phase plugs and extend to 17k, measured at my listening position. Third from the top is another un-ubiquitous Calrad from Japan with a whizzer cone and bottom one is discontinued Lii Audio F8 with excellent chassis. Top two have extended HF response and bottom two have better LF extension. The total sensitivity stands at 100dB plus @8 ohms. Top and bottom drivers are new and need break in time. Yes, the top most driver been sitting in its box for the last 50 years as I bought it. Bottom most had been in the box for last 7 years.

DHT Preamp is DIY by me including the Tube amp, which is SE and plays 6L6 tubes and also 807 / EF12N with an adapter. 

Dell Alienware is optimized for audio on windows 10. 

Perfectly happy with ECDesigns DAC, won’t look at any other ever. No need to. But curious to try one of their latest models too. 

19 minutes ago, Khronos said:

You seem like someone who reads Glow in the Dark Audio as well. 😄

I admit I don't have experience with vintage drivers (I have some Coral Holey baskets awaiting for when I buy a soldering iron, though), but based off from your YouTube videos, the sound is very nice! The high efficiency must also make it so realistic sound levels are breezy on the amp, how good are they with large scale orchestra?

Regardless, it's nice to see somebody finally starting to achieve their nirvana (Guess all there's left is fiddling with the electronics' circuits and driver combination).

Are you by any chance acquainted with the work of J.C Morrison? The technicalities go over my head, but his circuits are masterful.

https://www.labjc.com/

Kevin from glowinthedarkaudio and I are like in a parallel world. FRs in OB driven by tube amps, yes. Independent discoveries….

High efficiency is an advantage but despite, biggest factor is distortion…. That should be lowest, be it speakers or amps.  My tube amp designs are focused around lowest IMD. 

Thanks for sharing JC Morrison page. Will explore and learn…

• 2 weeks later...

JBL Le8T are fantastic drivers. You can get an nos or mint pair and get those yellow surrounds changed to foam for cheap. I will pick them anyday. Excellent top end exceeding 10k and low end goes under 40hz whether you put them in a ported box (Kenrich sound, Japan) or even as single driver open baffle or even a line array. There will be nothing more left to be desired. 

Another driver which is a little harder to find but not impossible and you can still find many nos pairs from Japan is Matsushita / Technics / National 8PW1. Undisputed frequency response from 17k to 50-70hz in open baffle, low extension depending on your baffle size. 95dB sensitivity. 

Further impressions on the SX:

The bass bloomed like a flower with time. What’s baffling is, looks like the bass extension on my bookshelf speakers extended by itself while playing through the SX. Despite the volume at the SX, be it at just 15 on 88dB BS or full throttle 24, the distortion is non-existent and I hear low low end notes from some recordings that never existed before ! 

How about a 40 watter DAC in future ????

I wished for 40 watter as it would leave no speaker behind as “not so compatible”. 

Yes, many speakers are planned in near future including horn setups. A bigger room is planned as well. Five pairs of horns in solid wood already accomplished, drivers accounted for.  Let’s see how it rolls out. Minimal or no crossover design is planned as well.