IGNORED

Dbpoweramp for Mac and aiff vs wav

ErikM

So here goes.. I've been using XLD to rip for ages, so today I tried Dbpoweramp for OS X since it's available now and not a beta. Not to make a long story longer but I needed to see if I could rip to wav and get artwork and metadata to work in an Aurender and on a Sonos (this is for a friend) Anyway my friend believes that wav sounds best. Better than aiff or flac or alac.. Well I've never been a wav fan because of it's crappy metadata support, but low and behold ripping with Dbpoweramp I can get all the metadata to display. And here's the part that's got me going.. wav sounds better than aiff.. Not a lot but it just seems to sound a bit cleaner and clearer.

Aiff rips of the same cd sound just a touch softer, just a tiny bit veiled.. Am I nuts? In theory they should sound identical.. but damn.

So here goes.. I've been using XLD to rip for ages, so today I tried Dbpoweramp for OS X since it's available now and not a beta. Not to make a long story longer but I needed to see if I could rip to wav and get artwork and metadata to work in an Aurender and on a Sonos (this is for a friend) Anyway my friend believes that wav sounds best. Better than aiff or flac or alac.. Well I've never been a wav fan because of it's crappy metadata support, but low and behold ripping with Dbpoweramp I can get all the metadata to display. And here's the part that's got me going.. wav sounds better than aiff.. Not a lot but it just seems to sound a bit cleaner and clearer.

Aiff rips of the same cd sound just a touch softer, just a tiny bit veiled.. Am I nuts? In theory they should sound identical.. but damn.

Well, your comments totally miff me...some time ago I did a novice's comparision between AIFF and WAV with the result that I started to write all my CD's to WAV but then in those earlier days of Audirvana and using remote software WAV was totally useless without metadata, etc...so started to re-write all to AIFF.

So dBPoweramp can write the metadata into the "file"?

Agree that WAV does sound better.

Best

Wdw

Yes. Dbpoweramp will embed metadata and create a nice file with cover art. Give it a try you can download a free trial version. I just wish I could understand why wav sounds better?

This was a bigger debate many years ago....maybe Roch can jump in....something about litle endian file structures. Dunno.

I read most of the old threads.. The more I listen the more I do hear that wav is better.. If I was to give it a percentage I'd say it's small like 5% what I'm hearing is that aiff sounds just a tad softer and veiled..it's not huge and it's not really distracting. Wav just sounds a bit clearer and more transparent..

This was a bigger debate many years ago....maybe Roch can jump in....something about litle endian file structures. Dunno.

Memory foggy on this - but I think the type of CPU in the computer factored into this.

WDW: I wonder if you will still have a preference for WAV now that you've moved to the Aries.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I was mixed in the fray of aiff vs wav. It was plain as day when I used a 2009 mac mini and any player program on RB. I am not sure these days using HQPlayer RB>DSD on W8.

Memory foggy on this - but I think the type of CPU in the computer factored into this.

WDW: I wonder if you will still have a preference for WAV now that you've moved to the Aries.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz