IGNORED

Firewire cable specification to connect Weiss DAC2 to Macbook Pro

Cuz it has no power wire internalized. Buy this for $15. It destroys the stock cables (and I don't use destroy or the like lightly). Vincent and the guys at VRS turned me on to the inexpensive Goldx fw cables, and I've been touting them ever since.

http://www.firewiredirect.com/product/86/

Agentsmith,

I'm a little bummed to hear you have been waiting 2 months to get one of these. I was planning on ordering a Weiss Dac2 this week. Any word on how soon your going to get it and just how far they're backed up with orders?

Mojo Audio Mac Mini- 2.6GHz i7 quad-core Mac Mini, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Internal Filter Module, Joule 3 power supply. Rogue Audio M180s. Revel F 52s. REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter. Bel Canto Dac 3.5 with VBS power supply. Rel Gibraltar G1. All Sain Line Systems cabling. Etc.... Etc... Etc.... Lol

For the firewire cable tweak just cover the power pin with a piece of electrical tape. I did this for my brother on a very modest system and there was an improvement, less hash, quieter background. In my setup I use an Audioquest 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable with a 4-pin female to 6-pin male adapter so there is no power transmitted from the "noisy" computer since my interface is externally powered. This was a noticeable improvement over my stock firewire cable: blacker backgrounds, the music gained volume & clarity as in every instrument represented itself more clearly in its own space without having to turn the volume up as much, less fatigue in the treble, bass had more impact. I'm not sure if the improvement was because of eliminating the power from the computer, OR the quality of the cable as far as ferrites being used on it, materials, shielding etc.., or perhaps a combination of both the quality of cable and elimination of power altogether. All I know is after I switched back to the stock cord I quickly put the Audioquest back in with the cheap adapter off of ebay and all. I'm sure everyone has some electrical tape lying around, look at the pinout of the firewire connector online according to the 6-pin or 9-pin layout and cut a small piece of tape just enough to entirely cover the power pin. To test it working try to power your device through the firewire cable alone instead of its power cable (given that the device can be run this way in the first place) if it doesn't power on the pin is covered properly, very scientific right? ;) It's a cheap tweak. If anyone can try it and report back any differences just for fun please do so.

david is hear[br]http://www.tuniverse.tv

US importer today quoted 7-10 days.

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

1) Dan needs 4 to 6 pin (there are many 6-to-6 pin cables better than Belkin, and then an adapter is needed anyway)

2) To my ears the Belkin cables are like stock and nowhere near the effortless sound of the GoldX or Granite.

Here's Granite's 3 ft'er

http://www.granitedigital.com/firewire1394-a10ft4pinto6pinwled.aspx

And as much as I hate to tout Monster Cable, their firewire cable is actually very good and very reasonable ($23), just not my No.1 choice (GoldX). I think Chris agrees and uses one. Here's their 3 ft'er

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/255232-REG/Monster_Cable_103561_FireWire_4_pin_to_6_pin.html

I doubt you'll find a Firewire cable of known quantity at 2ft.

I choose 6 ft of a known quantity - well shielded, good sounding, highly recommended cable - over a shorter by half cable, assuming that the sound loss from an extra 3 feet pales is more than overcome by the better performing cable.

Besides, then you can move your computer farther (or is it further) away from your DAC. :)

I did notice you can get a 2 ft GoldX USB cable (by purchasing their USB hub), so perhaps with some creative googling you can find something similar.

clay

run of the mill Belkin I heard. I forgot Audioquest has a nice firwire cable too, thanks. I think Vincent (VRS) or someone else told me they liked theirs too.

Dan, don't fret over the extra 3 ft. It's not a bulky cable and whatever you do no need to add an adapter (most add adapters to GET to 4-to-6 pin; you're already there).

but to point out that since GoldX makes a 2 ft USB cable maybe they make a less-than-6-foot firewire one. I've looked; I don't think they do. I recommend Granite or Monster Cable, or deal with the extra few feet of the GoldX 6 ft'er.