IGNORED

Equipment isolation and vibration damping.

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

Are active isolation platforms worth the price differential compared to passive isolation?

What type of active systems do you have in mind? Typically passive and non-feedback based active systems can isolate >5 Hz. Do you need sub Hz isolation? That requires either an even more expensive feedback based active system e.g. $10k+ or a more sophisticated passive eg Euler spring based. 

So wouldn't you want to know that it was actually effecting eg the DAC clock before shelling out really big bucks?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

What type of active systems do you have in mind? Typically passive and non-feedback based active systems can isolate >5 Hz. Do you need sub Hz isolation? That requires either an even more expensive feedback based active system e.g. $10k+ or a more sophisticated passive eg Euler spring based. 

So wouldn't you want to know that it was actually effecting eg the DAC clock before shelling out really big bucks?

How much do you charge those who want to quantify it?

Turntable: Yamaha GT 2000/ Tonearm: Yamaha YSA-1/ Cartridge: Soundsmith 'The Voice'/ Linestage: Hornshoppe 'The Truth'/ Speakers: KRK Expose E8B active studio monitors

2 hours ago, theophile said:

How much do you charge those who want to quantify it?

How much do you charge those who want to know what your problem is? :D

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2015 at 3:35 PM, bdiament said:

Glass rings like a bell and will color the sound, making it tend toward brightness or forwardness.

In my experience, optimal isolation will *not* alter the tonality.

I've noticed that when combining glass roller bearing cups and inner tube air bearings, the tonality seems good. When using roller bearings alone, the contrast was a bit hyper and the tone a bit bright. I assumed that was because it was only isolating in the horizontal and rotational planes, and was actually coupling in the vertical plane. Though it could be because the borosilicate glass cup was ringing. So how much, I wonder, is due to vertical coupling and how much to ringing materials?

Have people combined good vertical isolation with roller bearings on speakers? How was the effect compared to roller bearings alone?

On 3/26/2017 at 11:58 AM, jabbr said:

If I had one my wife would pay you to remove it from the house ;) 

laser interferometers are pretty small nowadays - you could hide it in a closet, attic, or in your apt. you build for yourself over the garage...